How to record: -- RAW Digital Cropped Video 30/24fps on 5D3 & others--

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 16, 2013, 04:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pc_bel

I'm going around all forum and find same problem for some people (weird frames, but without monitor connected. Answers were not enought cpu power (from camera). For me is allways recording crop mode and MLV. Don't tested yet with normal RAW.

My monitor is a Neway CL76HO-X.

This is same as my weird frame: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10257.0

pc_bel

Few tests after, I have no weird frames recording with raw_rec.mo in 3x crop mode (1920x1080) with monitor connected. So for me solution is this. Don't have audio is not a problem in 3x mode due to distance from camera to subject.

So weird frames only in mlv_rec.mo and a hdmi monitor connected.

pind

can i ask you about a monitor Neway CL76HO-X.

i am thinkin to buy the same one..

Where did you buy one(from personal view?)

what was the price and are you from EU?

how it works for you with your 5d3 and does it have some light leaks ?

Thank you
My first RAW with ML  --->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvztBDW2mWc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppNuhISexbdjO8Rg-3YbBA 5D3 + ML Canon 28-70mm f2.8 17-35mm f2.8

pc_bel

I think we are off topic.

Monitor is ok for me but every person is different and have different necessities. It's cheap monitor so don't expect so much. I'm from Spain. I buyed in PV, yes. There you have a lot of info.

pc_bel

QuoteMy 5D3 doesn't crash but records weird frames randomly. Only with HDMI monitor attatched and in crop mode. My settings are:
5D3
HDMI monitor conected.
Komputerbay 1000x 64Gb
14 January 2014 build
MLV video
1920x1080
1920 30-I (in Canon menu)
Cropped mode,
16:9 aspect ratio,
Preview auto or Canon (the result of weird frames are same in both preview modes),
fps override 25,
Exact fps,
Frame skipping OFF
Global Draw ON (tested with global draw OFF same weird frames)
Image Quality = Raw
Auto Lighting Optimizer = OFF
Long exp. noise reduction = OFF
High ISO speed NR = OFF
Highlight tone priority = OFF
Multiple Exposure = Disable
HDR Mode = Disable HDR

I'm interested to know if someone can record cropped video without weird frames and a similar configuration (HDMI monitor conected).

If I disconect monitor all is ok. But dificult to get image in focus (cycling footage) with the in camera screen!!!!!.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english!!.
UPDATED:
After extensive tests, I get random weird frames not only in MLV_rec.mo, also in RAW_rec.mo
Always with hdmi monitor connected and 3x crop video. Tested in 1920x1080!!!!

Weird frames are exactly the same as mhimhi shows here:http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10257.new#new

I see almost clear that is hdmi related problem. No monitor, no weird frames... So is a not enought cpu power in camera or not? Anybody knows?

Thank you very much.

nickychris

Wish I could help you on that one, I get some weird frames in crop-mode sometimes with no monitor hdmi attached..

Im still trying to record crop-mode with hdmi monitor tho.. I cant work out why  because Ive tried everything

pc_bel

Read this:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10443

I'm not doing a lot of tests yet but I think there is a solution for pink frames!!!!! And now included in nightly builds...

zacshome

Is there any reason why this wouldnt work on a hdmi monitor? I am fine recording cropped and have been for 9 months with my canon screen display but when connecting a hdmi monitor is freezes in cropped mode on the first frame. unplug my monitor, works fine.. though i can record raw perfectly fine with the monitor, its only issue is when i am in crop mode.. i have tried searching for this issue but cant find anything

PS, Monitor is a smallHD 6

KMikhail

Earlier in the thread I seen a statement that it's impossible to make crop raw video frame aligned with center. Is it true? This shift goes beyond simple inconvenience (I made crop marks for resolutions I use). To keep plane of focus perpendicular to the line of view, you have to be off side when you shoot. Moreover, sharpness, CA and vignetting are asymmetrical, which affect final quality.

Under good daylight conditions and when I don't need shallow depth of field, I'd opt for crop mode with 2-2.5k, but aforementioned problems make it questionable.

chaoss

Hi,
I'm trying to record cropped video on 5D II. It looks very good, but there is one bad side.
When I'm using 5x magnification mode in camera and ML set to RAW record camera screen goes to BW and very low contrast.
It's hard to see anything on this screen when recording. Is there any solution?

jmanord

(5D3) I read through this thread, but did not see anything that would directly answer my question; apologies if I missed it somewhere. Is it possible to record MLV audio while in crop mode? When I record a video in crop mode with audio enabled, it stops when a frame is skipped as normal, but liveview does not return automatically and the top LCD status indicator flashes "busy" when trying to change settings. I have to remove the battery to return it to a functioning state, although turning the camera to off does close the mirror and appear to shut it down. An MLV video of approximately the correct size is created, but an indexing error is displayed when trying to play it back in the camera through the ML file manager.

reddeercity

Quote from: chaoss on August 08, 2015, 09:14:06 PM
I'm trying to record cropped video on 5D II. It looks very good, but there is one bad side.
When I'm using 5x magnification mode in camera and ML set to RAW record camera screen goes to BW and very low contrast.
It's hard to see anything on this screen when recording. Is there any solution?
Didn't notice your question until now, As a 5D2 power user (at least I seemed to thinks so  :D) I try to make a effort to answer any
5D2 Raw video questions.
Ok I made a short video tutorial about the preview in 3xCrop mode (below), basically you press & hold the half shutter button .
Depending on the nightly build you are using ! it should work .

vstrglv

5D3, magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug19.5D3113.
Now there is a good option to set Focus box for good framing in crop mode.
Pref\Focus Box settings\Snap points - Centre to x5RAW. It works good, but  this point is too far from centre.
The another good point is closer to the centre - 5 steps to the right plus 3 steps down. Is it possible to change Snap points - Centre to x5RAW to this point?
Thanks very much to all developers.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

vk4tnt

Hi there,
There is a great walk through for the 5D3 how to do RAW Digital Cropped Video. Could you please point me to one for a 5D2? I am at a loss why I can't do cropped recording. All seems set up ok but after selecting 5x magnification the image goes back to 1x after I press the record button.
Thank you in advance.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

vk4tnt

Thank you DeafEyeJedi, unfortunately that doesn't work for me either.

DeafEyeJedi

Sorry sold my 5D2 long ago and please stand by for others to chime in shortly.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

@vk4tnt sorry couldn't answer you earlier , I'm deep in editing/grading a movie so my time is very limited for ML at the moment .
OK so what nightly build date are you using ?
Camera setting ? e.g. frame override , fps, frame resolution etc.....
And to be sure with are on the same page , you press the (5x) button Once Right ? or Twice ?
So the only way you will revert to 1:1 from 3X crop mode when recording is started is if you when to 10x zoom , which is pressing the Zoom button Twice.
Unless there a bug in the latest nightly build , it should work just fine.

vk4tnt

@reddeercity
Thank you for your reply. Please find below the answers to your questions.

Canon settings:

Quality RAW
Video system PAL
Live View function Stills+Movie Exposure simulation
Movie rec. size 1920x1080 / 24

ML version: Nightly2015Aug195D2212
Bit Rate (CBR) up to 1.5
FPS override OFF or 29.970 (can's change to 23.976)
Actual FPS can't be changed from 29.970
HDR video OFF
RAW video or RAW video(MLV) ON 1856x1044 (tried one or the other or both)
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Global Draw OFF (if ON no magnify 5x possible)

I have only pressed the magnify button once and it displayed 5x on the screen.

Thank you for your support. I was hoping to use the function for the Lunar Occultation next week.

reddeercity

Quote from: vk4tnt on September 30, 2015, 05:38:40 PM
Video system PAL
Here is where the problems is , change to NTSC

Movie rec. size 1920x1080 / 24
you can't to my knowledge you can't have mixed formats (pal dose 25p not 24p)

FPS override OFF or 29.970 (can't change to 23.976)
That's because you are set to pal change to ntsc

If you what to use 25p just use frame override to overcrank to 25p
in fact to can overcrank the 5d2 to 32 fps in 24p mode in the canon menu.

FYI, crop mode default fps is 30p not matter what you set in the canon menu.
So you must use "frame override" to lock the frame rate to 24p , 25p or what every you like.
and set it to "Exact" in the submenu of frame override .

Give that try and see what happens.

vk4tnt

Thank you for the quick replay. I tried what you suggested:

Change to NTSC
Change to 30FPS
Changed to exact FPS

Unfortunately it still does not work. Could you please let me know which is the latest nigtly build that works for you, the one I saw in your youtube video is not available on the download site.

vk4tnt

reddeercity

@vk4tnt, Ok I think I know your issue . when pressing record in crop mode it's your Liveview that go back to 1:1 view but still records in crop mode.
I just tested the latest nightly build(Oct.1/2015) an all is well , you will not get crop framing in Liveview while recording. Just in Standby.
This is the builds I use and the one's that's in the video tutorial
v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.5D2212.Raw.Ver.2.0 and this one Oct.24/13 Raw Ver 1.0

Just a little side note: when I did test the latest nightly I notice you could not get to 1/48th of second shutter in 1:1 closest was 1/45th & crop mode was 1/53th
so something is off here. In the older builds I uses , 1:1 is 1/47th of second  & crop is 1/50th of course that in 24p.
Plus I notice a whole bunch of Extra resolutions I though was unnecessary.
Not sure what going on in the nightly builds for the 5D2 , I'll have to do some investigation not sure I like what I see.

vk4tnt

Hi David,
I would like to confirm that it works now. Using your published revision I can record in 3x crop mode. Thanks a bunch, I will publish a sample soon.