Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannyaroyo

So as there is 23 pages on this thread ill admit i didnt read much if any, BUT with that said has anyone gotten 1920x1080 in raw mode? i can get to 1856x1044 in any crop mode. I also have a komputerbay 1000x 32gb card. Thanks

bluecreative

I've tried some 64GB Komputer bay cards and it appears as though my 5D Mk II is either making them corrupt, or the cards are defective. They work fine for recording for about 10 seconds. I copy the files onto my computer, then put them back in the camera to format them, keeping the ML on the card.

I did another shoot, used the same process, except this time when I put the cards back in my camera, it doesn't recognize them and says they weren't formatted in this camera and to re-format them. The weird thing is, is that there are jumbled up words in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It looks like 2 or 3 layers of words so i can't make out what they say.

I can't reformat the card on the camera, it won't allow me to select that options on the camera, and even if I delete everything on the computer and totally wipe the card clean, it still won't allow me to format them in-camera. It has happened with two of my 64GB Komputer Bay cards.

Do you think it's the cards themselves? Maybe I should return them as defective and try out a different brand...

bluecreative

I just tried my 16GB Sandisk 60MB/s card in there and it seems to work great, especially when I turn the quality down to 1280x720. I think I'll just be done with the POS Komputer bay cards :)

PressureFM

Quote from: bluecreative on January 26, 2014, 12:43:26 AM
I've tried some 64GB Komputer bay cards and it appears as though my 5D Mk II is either making them corrupt, or the cards are defective. They work fine for recording for about 10 seconds. I copy the files onto my computer, then put them back in the camera to format them, keeping the ML on the card.

I did another shoot, used the same process, except this time when I put the cards back in my camera, it doesn't recognize them and says they weren't formatted in this camera and to re-format them. The weird thing is, is that there are jumbled up words in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It looks like 2 or 3 layers of words so i can't make out what they say.

I can't reformat the card on the camera, it won't allow me to select that options on the camera, and even if I delete everything on the computer and totally wipe the card clean, it still won't allow me to format them in-camera. It has happened with two of my 64GB Komputer Bay cards.

Do you think it's the cards themselves? Maybe I should return them as defective and try out a different brand...

What card reader do you use?

bluecreative

Quote from: PressureFM on January 26, 2014, 11:20:22 AM
What card reader do you use?

I'm using an Iogear card reader, model # GFR281

PressureFM

Quote from: bluecreative on January 26, 2014, 05:50:53 PM
I'm using an Iogear card reader, model # GFR281

USB2.0, USB3.0 or FireWire?

Not all card readers are compatible with Komputerbay Compact Flash cards.

bluecreative

It's a USB 2.0 card reader. I didn't really do much on the card reader other than copy the files to my computer. Then I formatted it in camera to clear it.

I ordered a Gold Flash Firewire 800 card reader and it should be here sometime this week so I will see if that helps. I'm leaning towards getting a Transcend card now since I've heard a lot of good things about those cards.

bluecreative

Quote from: Veerle on January 26, 2014, 10:22:19 PM
Did you make the cards bootable? You need to update the ML firmware on the camera with every card you want to use (at least once).
Maybe this will work?; delete everything from your card on a pc, then put it back into you camera. Format the card from within the camera. Then when the card has been successfully formatted put magic lantern on the card + the magic lantern firmware, put the card back into your camera, go to the canon menu and update your firmware. When that's done you turn of your camera, and when your turn it back on hopefully everything will work properly.

Thanks for the post, but I did all of that to begin with and the RAW video on them worked a couple of times. I ran the firmware update on each of the cards with the ML files on them to make them bootable.  Then all of a sudden they were completely unreadable by the camera, and wouldn't even allow me to format them in-camera anymore. I didn't modify the cards in any way on my computer, simply copied the RAW files off of the card and ejected it. I'm returning them as defective and buying some Transcend 1000x 64GB cards now.

LEVISDAVIS

I've read over in the 50D posts that the Komputerbay cards work only with USB 3 CF readers. I own a Kingston FCR USB 3 and it's never given any trouble with Komputerbay cards. I've now owned over 4 cards without issues.
Levi S. Davis

mrd777

Can someone help me out here?
Been watching a lot of comparison videos on youtube of RAW vs h264 in the Mark 2 and Mark 3 - The only difference I can see is a slight dynamic range and a good amount of shaper detail. I thought the raw was suppose to give it waaaay more dynamic range. What have your experiences been in seeing the difference in RAW vs h264 straight from the camera?

Thanks!

PressureFM

Quote from: mrd777 on February 11, 2014, 10:26:50 AM
Can someone help me out here?
Been watching a lot of comparison videos on youtube of RAW vs h264 in the Mark 2 and Mark 3 - The only difference I can see is a slight dynamic range and a good amount of shaper detail. I thought the raw was suppose to give it waaaay more dynamic range. What have your experiences been in seeing the difference in RAW vs h264 straight from the camera?

Thanks!

14-bit RAW vs compressed 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264 codec.

They are worlds apart.

Try out for yourself and see the difference, it's night and day. It isn't for fun we are jumping up and down like small children on Christmas Eve.

mrd777

Quote from: PressureFM on February 11, 2014, 10:44:23 AM
14-bit RAW vs compressed 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264 codec.

They are worlds apart.

Try out for yourself and see the difference, it's night and day. It isn't for fun we are jumping up and down like small children on Christmas Eve.

I have tried it, but only indoors and the lighting was not too strong or contrasted, so I guess that might be why. But I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong because I don't notice, or can't seem to pull out some awesome dynamic range from it, and I don't see people on Youtube doing it either, with the exception of one video. So I'm not saying ANYTHING negative. I am blaming myself and looking for answers! When you say night and day, can you point me to a source where I can see or learn? Is it possible that I'm on a Mark 2 and not a 3, which may be limited in some way?

Humbly appreciated!
Thank you!

SpcCb

Quote from: mrd777 on February 11, 2014, 11:27:44 AM
I have tried it, but only indoors and the lighting was not too strong or contrasted, so I guess that might be why. But I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong because I don't notice, or can't seem to pull out some awesome dynamic range from it, and I don't see people on Youtube doing it either, with the exception of one video. So I'm not saying ANYTHING negative. I am blaming myself and looking for answers! When you say night and day, can you point me to a source where I can see or learn? Is it possible that I'm on a Mark 2 and not a 3, which may be limited in some way?

Humbly appreciated!
Thank you!
Dynamic range is just a part of gains.
As you get a RAW file, you can deeply adjust image rendering like with a still image RAW. Plus, there's no compression face to the H264. This is only a couple of examples..

But you have to be careful how you manage RAW video files; if you directly compress DNG to JPEG to work with, there will be no huge gains.

mrd777

Quote from: SpcCb on February 11, 2014, 04:31:19 PM
Dynamic range is just a part of gains.
As you get a RAW file, you can deeply adjust image rendering like with a still image RAW. Plus, there's no compression face to the H264. This is only a couple of examples..

But you have to be careful how you manage RAW video files; if you directly compress DNG to JPEG to work with, there will be no huge gains.

I tried some outdoor shots today and the difference was immense. So, yeah I can see.

HOWEVER, I see people talking about DNG and CinemaDNG and I can't find a thread comparing the two. Are they the same quality? If so, I assume they are just for different programs to recognize them(resolve, for ex)

Midphase

Quote from: mrd777 on February 11, 2014, 10:55:24 PM
HOWEVER, I see people talking about DNG and CinemaDNG and I can't find a thread comparing the two. Are they the same quality? If so, I assume they are just for different programs to recognize them(resolve, for ex)

My understanding is that the only difference between DNG and CDNG is specific metadata attached to the file. The raw bits should be identical on both files much like a text document, but CDNG is specifically configured with video oriented metadata.

As of right now, Resolve can read DNG sequences just fine, unfortunately Premiere Pro doesn't.

arturo felix filmmaker

5D Mark 2 Raw Video
hypergonar lente anamórfica benoist Berthiot N.9946
nikon 55mm 1.2
24fps 1856x1044p 16:09
5x factor de recorte se utiliza para evitar el viñeteado causado por 16mm hypergonar en sensor de fotograma completo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TByVIOQ9S-w&list=UUuKMwYVm7t1iQZn7UtyzREQ&index=1

oterpoter

I am using nightly builds from 9. Feb. I have tested Raw 14bit MLV and RAW, but my video ends up with a pink/purple cast.is this a known problem. I recorded 960x540 and 1280X720, thats the fastest my card can handle. Any help is much apprechiated!

ted ramasola

Quote from: oterpoter on February 15, 2014, 03:42:35 PM
I am using nightly builds from 9. Feb. I have tested Raw 14bit MLV and RAW, but my video ends up with a pink/purple cast.is this a known problem. I recorded 960x540 and 1280X720, thats the fastest my card can handle. Any help is much apprechiated!

What speed is your card? 1000x is minimum to get optimum performance on 5d2.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

oterpoter

Speed of card is 60mb/s, and thats why I only shoot in 960x540 and 1280x720, since those are OK with that card. Except for the magenta/purple/pink cast

Bayareamediamasters-BAMM!

Shot this RAW comparison video using the 5D Mark II, Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb CF Card UDMA7 160mb/s and the Feb. 14th ML Build with RAW Module.
I could only record for about 30 seconds at this resolution, but definitely worth it for certain applications.
http://youtu.be/fNvLKbSKvQE

gavflynn

I've been looking at both the 5dmkii and 5dmkiii for RAW. I'm satisfied with image of even the lower resolutions on the mkii that yall are getting with ML RAW. But my only concern is continuous shooting, preferably without dropped frames. I haven't been able to find a straight answer.

But does anyone know the absolute longest I could shoot 1280x720p RAW continuously? What's the biggest fastest card out there in order to shoot as long as possible?

Midphase

Quote from: gavflynn on March 22, 2014, 04:50:02 PM
But does anyone know the absolute longest I could shoot 1280x720p RAW continuously? What's the biggest fastest card out there in order to shoot as long as possible?

29 minutes? I think your question has been answered many times before, please do a search.

Get the fastest CF card you can afford, although on the 5D2 I think you're limited to a max size of 128gb I think...maybe less?

johnny5d

Hi all I try to set the raw settings in camera but the whole menu is grayed out...

Can someone help me. In menu options "Modules" it does say that the RAW_REC ok...

Hope to hear from you !

mageye

@johnny5d

Have you tried accessing that menu whilst in Live View mode?
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7