Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Africashot

Quote from: pointbob1 on September 02, 2013, 07:05:14 AM
Thanks. Looks like my prob may be the card - i did a bench mark on the sandisk extreme and it writes at about 20 mbs (rated for 60 mbs)...looks too slow for raw :(

ps,,,no I want to turn off the lcd entirely and record thru evf like i do with a mirrorless camera...not poss with 5d it appears.
That is because it is not a evf, it is an ovf... that's what makes it a dslr and not a 'mirrorless'
ML 5D2 & T3i

reddeercity

Quote from: pointbob1 on September 02, 2013, 07:05:14 AM
Thanks. Looks like my prob may be the card - i did a bench mark on the sandisk extreme and it writes at about 20 mbs (rated for 60 mbs)...looks too slow for raw :(

ps,,,no I want to turn off the lcd entirely and record thru evf like i do with a mirrorless camera...not poss with 5d it appears.

No No, you can record with a Sandisk Extreme!
But you are limited to smaller frame sizes, I have 3 - 32GB 60MB/s cards
and a Extreme Pro 32 GB 90MB/s plus 2 Lexar 1000x cards.
on the Sandisk you should be able to Record raw at 1600x800 and under
But i have notice on the Sandisk Extreme 32 GB  60MB/s
If you reformat with 16 kb Alloction unit size  instead of the default 32kb
you will see a gain write speed. :)

dossisman

Quote from: Scipione205 on August 17, 2013, 04:04:59 AM
I'm not sure about the capabilities of MKII... I will shoot a short film this month, and I really want to shoot RAW but nobody in my city (who I know, in Brindisi Italy) has got the MKIII; I can find only MKII.

Is it possible to shoot continuous 1920 x 800 @23.976 fps ? I read on the main topic about 1880x840 at 24 fps so I thought that [email protected] will be possible.

Anyone tried ?

I shot two music videos in 2.35:1 ratio, and while unfortunately 1920 is not possible, there is plenty of detail there for you to resize 1880.  I personally used Red Giant's Instant HD Resizer for it, and it looks spectacular.

RAW 1880 > H.264 1920. Any day.

bnvm

QuoteRAW 1880 > H.264 1920. Any day.

Very true, keep in mind the H.264 is also up-scaled from 1880 since that is the limit of the sensor non crop mode raw or not.

fagperez

I'm testing the CF komputerBay 128GB 1000X and I can only record video at 1728x972 raw video without dropping frames. A 1856x1044 lose frames. Is it normal what is happening to me?.
Thank you very much.

raf702

Hey all, I'm having a bit of an issue workflow wise. I finally got raw video working, its amazing by the way! BUT, when I import the files into After Effects, the composition says the file is at 30fps.

In the Canon settings I have it set to 1920x1080p-24fps.
In the ML raw settings I have FPS override=ON, set to exactly=24fps, desired fps= 23.976.
And before recording it says, "FPS override ON, set to 23.976"

In the workflow inside AE, do I just change the comp settings to 23.976? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks guys!

Rewind

Quote from: raf702 on September 12, 2013, 04:20:01 AM
In the workflow inside AE, do I just change the comp settings to 23.976? Or is there something else I'm missing?

raf702

raf702

Also, I've been through nearly all the pages and can't seem to find any particular settings to use in the Canon and ML menu to maximize the efficiency of RAW video recording?.

And my 64gb KomputerBay 1000x cf card has a continuous write speed of around 71-72 mb/s during recording, on the 8/16/13 build. I have global draw off, card warm up=64mb, small hacks on, fps override on @24fps. Does this write speed seem about right fo this ML date build along with my settings?

What are you guys using and how do upres your footages to 1080p from say an 1880x800, etc setting. I use Sony Vegas Pro and After Effects for my workflow.

Thanks!

PressureFM

Quote from: raf702 on September 12, 2013, 07:30:02 AM
Also, I've been through nearly all the pages and can't seem to find any particular settings to use in the Canon and ML menu to maximize the efficiency of RAW video recording?.

And my 64gb KomputerBay 1000x cf card has a continuous write speed of around 71-72 mb/s during recording, on the 8/16/13 build. I have global draw off, card warm up=64mb, small hacks on, fps override on @24fps. Does this write speed seem about right fo this ML date build along with my settings?

What are you guys using and how do upres your footages to 1080p from say an 1880x800, etc setting. I use Sony Vegas Pro and After Effects for my workflow.

Thanks!

RAW is RAW, what do you mean by efficiency? Resolution? Longer recording times?

I suggest you download the newest build for the 5D Mark II and test it out. I'm getting anywhere between 73-76MB/s in full frame (1856x1044) and over 77MB/s in crop 1x  (1854x1044) for continuous shooting. This is with Global Draw on. Preview set to Auto and Small Hacks on.

raf702

Yes efficiency, in regards to longer record time and resolution, sorry for the confusion.

Those numbers look good, which build date are you using?

Thanks!

PressureFM

Quote from: raf702 on September 12, 2013, 03:11:08 PM
Yes efficiency, in regards to longer record time and resolution, sorry for the confusion.

Those numbers look good, which build date are you using?

Thanks!

The newest from a_d_, which can be found here.

I'm using the 2013/09/10 26f79287de2b build.

raf702

Great! I will certainly check this out. Thanks!

raf702

Any of you guys shoot slightly under exposed so that you can bring the exposure in post. Or do you guys just shoot in the best exposure that you feel, followed by post work? Just wondering how you guys shoot in.

Oedipax

Quote from: raf702 on September 12, 2013, 10:06:41 PM
Any of you guys shoot slightly under exposed so that you can bring the exposure in post. Or do you guys just shoot in the best exposure that you feel, followed by post work? Just wondering how you guys shoot in.

In general when shooting RAW, you want to expose to the right (meaning close to overexposure without actually clipping). But in many situations I expose a little less than that to protect unforeseen highlights and so on.

raf702

Thanks for the tip, and with that in mind I've seen both being done when filming raw. Either it's slightly underexposed or slightly overexposed. I guess it's a matter of trial and error for me until I see what works best, since I'm new to filming in raw.

PressureFM

Quote from: raf702 on September 12, 2013, 10:06:41 PM

ETTR usually. Quite easy with Global Draw on :)

raf702

I tried both, and with the underexposed RAW I'm able to get good details in the highlights, but trying to bring some detail and light to the shadows caused some terrible banding and grain. It was a much better outcome on another footage when going ETTR. Seems odd cause I've seen several people filming their raw footages underexposed without issues in post. Im assuming the 5d3 just handles better in that situation than the 5d2, which is what Im using.

robert.roth001

Hey, first time poster here.

I just did a ton of research on this between yesterday and today. Answered a lot of my own questions, but there's still one thing I can't find anything on.

It seems like 1880 is pretty stable and with the correct card won't drop frames. But all I've found is that it stops once it gets to the 4GB limit. That's only what... about a minute right? Definitely not enough for narrative work (which is what I was hoping for).

So has this been solved/worked around yet? Or is 4GB still the max file size and there's no way to record longer?

Thanks! And sorry if this was answered already and I missed it.

Robert Roth

reddeercity

Quote from: robert.roth001 on September 18, 2013, 02:45:09 AM
Hey, first time poster here.
It seems like 1880 is pretty stable and with the correct card won't drop frames. But all I've found is that it stops once it gets to the 4GB limit. That's only what... about a minute right? Definitely not enough for narrative work (which is what I was hoping for).
So has this been solved/worked around yet? Or is 4GB still the max file size and there's no way to record longer?
Robert Roth
Yes, 4GB is the max size on the 5d2.
The file system is Fat 32 so that the limit
But you should see the  "R00"   if you record longer.
Those file are Spanning files in 4GB files
unless you have a  slow card .
I wrote a post on it
Link: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.msg75388#msg75388
On my 5d2 @ 1856x1004 23.976p i get a total of 14,200 frames, on Lexar 1000x 64 GB
:)

robert.roth001

Okay, awesome man thanks! Makes sense then, so it doesn't just stop recording, it continues but creates multiple files. Just have to string them together later. Well, would rather not have that extra step but hey, I can't complain for this quality! I've been aware of this raw recording since it first came out, but never bothered with it because I was planning on getting the pocket camera. And well... lets just say that doesn't seem to be going well... I'm shooting a feature come January and I'm hoping this will be stable enough for something like that. We shall see! Need to just start shooting some tests now to get the hang of everything.

reddeercity

I have been using ML Raw in all my
project since June , Never hand a problem
I shot a 60 min doc. about a street artist in raw & h264 60/40
it mix very will. It about to be shown at a 2K movie theater
Next weekend. ML raw is Stable Now, don't worry,
I just did a hdmi capture test while raw was recording at the same time.
so now you have backup when you record raw., or daily on a feature.
Check out the post : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.msg76170#msg76170
There is no reason why you can not shot a big project with raw as long as you are Organized.
:)

dovecom

What about sync sound? Are you able to get synced audio while recording raw on the 5D MKII? Or MK3? I have a Mk2 and want to dip my toe into RAW recording before upgrading to the MkIII. My current 16GB cards aren't fast enough (state of the art though when the Mk2 came out). So I want to get cards that will work with both cameras. My CF reader is a Firewire 800 device but probably isn't UDMA7 compatible given UDMA7 hadn't been invented yet.

I don't trust Komputerbay. Too flaky, too hit 'n miss. So what do I need? Is there a 32GB card that will work for everything? should I even bother on the Mk2?

beauchampy

NOOB altert!

So I have the following:

5D II on 2.1.2
ML 2.3
4b3129d5a739 raw rec module.
Komputerbay 1000x 64gb

I am having problems!

Benchmark tests put the card anywhere between 51 and 64mbps (pretty low I think?)
I can't even record 1880 x 440 without some serious frame drops, even then it only records for maybe a max of 3 secs.

Have I got a lemon of a card? Or do I just need to educate myself a bit further? :)

reddeercity

Yes , do more reading on how to
Setup your camera  .
Search the form there a wealth of information
Here.
Then still have problems ask away  :)