Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

Quote from: sennn on June 09, 2013, 04:22:32 PM
If you change the photo quality to jpeg s from raw you get more buffer "space", therefore you can record a little bit longer.

OK thanks! And this doesn't affect the quality? Do you know why this works? :)

Africashot

Quote from: togg on June 09, 2013, 05:00:24 PM
OK thanks! And this doesn't affect the quality? Do you know why this works? :)
It doesn't, for some reason the canon firmware frees more buffer memory when in jpg mode, the recorded DNG stream is the same no matter what mode you are in, you are just going to get more of it when set to jpeg
ML 5D2 & T3i

DAK29

Greetings everyone! I'm finally getting my 1000x Komputerbay CF card and USB 3.0 CF adapter tomorrow!

I understand there has been progress since I last checked in, sometimes newer builds are actually worse, etc.

Was wondering, what is the fastest/best build and RAW_REC plugin versions to get right now?

Has any progress happened with the 10/12 bit modes?

I have anamorphic lens and would like to experiment with raw anamorphic recording with best quality/settings currently possible.

Thanks!

P.S. - REDDEERCITY - You say you can't get better than Lexar 1000x CF, even considering the 65MB/s limit.
I understand the Komputerbay 1000x CFs fluctuate in quality but even the worst is supposed to do at least 90MB.
How can anything that reads/writes > 65MB/s be any different than anything else that reads/writes > 65MB/s?
Wouldn't they all top out at 65MB/s anyhow and therefore any additional bandwidth the card has over that not matter?
I recall other people using the Komputerbay 1000x CF cards and being quite pleased, this is why I purchased one.
(And should have it tomorrow!) Thanks in advance for the help! Hope I bought the right thing!

I will post benchmarks if people want me to, just tell me the proper settings!
(I remember some people have had a setting incorrect and it gave higher benchmarks than were true.)

cassianog

cosmo.lv

5D Mark II RAW video tests, just random summer shots...

5D Mark II

SaltPro

I don't get how to deal with RAW in post. On a previous build the DNG's were right on my card, click and drag into PS and grade, export as tiff and image sequence into premiere. With this latest build - the files aren't on my card... where are they? how do i get to them?

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: SaltPro on June 12, 2013, 10:32:52 PM
I don't get how to deal with RAW in post. On a previous build the DNG's were right on my card, click and drag into PS and grade, export as tiff and image sequence into premiere. With this latest build - the files aren't on my card... where are they? how do i get to them?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

Mati

DAK29

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6662

Anyone know anything about what this guy is posting? Will this increase frame rate of 5d2?

fabiorocker

Hi, I have installed the last version of ml, but i cant find the delete function of the raw clip. There were In a older version but i can see it in this one, where is it?
Sorry for my english :)

ted ramasola

Quote from: fabiorocker on June 22, 2013, 12:47:34 AM
Hi, I have installed the last version of ml, but i cant find the delete function of the raw clip. There were In a older version but i can see it in this one, where is it?
Sorry for my english :)

file browser
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

fatpig

@DAK29:

this has been implemented in 5D2 Build of 06-21.
It gets you more frames total. Not the FPS are higher.

guentergunter

I recently made a short comparissons between H.264 and RAW; combined with the VAF from mosaic engineering.

I just wanted to know if the VAF still does it's job right with raw.

5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

ted ramasola

Quote from: guentergunter on June 29, 2013, 06:21:00 PM
I recently made a short comparissons between H.264 and RAW; combined with the VAF from mosaic engineering.

I just wanted to know if the VAF still does it's job right with raw.

yes it does at 1x. Not so at 3x crop mode.

So for 1x use VAF. when in crop mode, its recommended to remove VAF. The image with vaf in crop mode is still useful in some situations. But its not ideal.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

guentergunter

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 29, 2013, 06:37:34 PM
yes it does at 1x. Not so at 3x crop mode.

So for 1x use VAF. when in crop mode, its recommended to remove VAF. The image with vaf in crop mode is still useful in some situations. But its not ideal.
I'll make another comparison covering the crop modes.

But: I can only access 5x and 10x crop modes. How do I get 3x?

ted ramasola

Quote from: guentergunter on June 29, 2013, 10:33:22 PM
I'll make another comparison covering the crop modes.

But: I can only access 5x and 10x crop modes. How do I get 3x?

to be clear, 3X crop mode is done by pressing 5x magnify. 10x magnify is for focus confirmation only and will not give you higher crop.
Pressing record while at 10x magnify will still give you 3x crop.

There is no such thing as 5x or 10 x crop mode. Heres my tests done before.

Note that my labels in the video is also wrong saying its 5X crop. It should have been 3X crop using 5x magnify button.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

guentergunter

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 29, 2013, 10:59:34 PM
to be clear, 3X crop mode is done by pressing 5x magnify. 10x magnify is for focus confirmation only and will not give you higher crop.
Pressing record while at 10x magnify will still give you 3x crop.
OK, I got it!

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 29, 2013, 10:59:34 PM
Heres my tests done before.
Great! Also the takes are very short, I can clearly see, that the VAF doesn't make sense in 3x crop - as I expected. Since it's just designed to blur 1080p over the full sensor size. When cropping, the resolution crops, too.

The remaining question is: What looks better? 1x with VAF or 3x without... (Irregardless the loss of wide angles in crop mode)
We'll see ;)

Veerle

reddeercity

Quote from: Veerle on July 12, 2013, 09:11:43 PM
Hi guys,

What kind of workflow are you using in post?
I'm on a iMac and use Rawmagic and after effects. But i'm curious about what else is out there.
Ive been trying to work with DaVinci Resolve but it just isn't what I'm looking for (as far as my knowledge of the software goes)...
When working with DaVinci I immediately start to miss all the options Camera Raw...

Is someone familiar with with both software who can convince me other wise? Because I read a lot of good things about DaVinci Resolve so I'm a bit confused right now...

And what workflow do you guys use?
:D
DNGs>Photoshop>Adjust- Hi-light recover etc..or
Camera Profile\LUT> Tiff> After Effect > PreGrade Or Apply LUT > ProRes4444> Edit  > Final Cut Pro X

splurj

Hi,

Can you help to clarify a few things about shooting RAW video on the 5DII, I've been searching around and I thinks it's best that I just get all the answers in need from here.

Firstly, I've installed ML successfully on my 5DII but I can't find an option to select RAW anywhere in the menu, or info in the instructions on how to set it up, can anyone tell me please?

Shooting in RAW means that you can shoot video in a resolution of 2040 x 1428, is that correct?

I've noticed that it's been referred to as RAW DNG, does that mean that it saves your footage as an image sequence rather than a MOV file?

If anyone can help me get up and running with RAW video I'd be very grateful and I'm sure I'll have some more questions on the topic very soon :)

Thanks

Veerle

Veerle

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Veerle on July 17, 2013, 08:30:44 PM
Here's a raw video I filmed with my Canon 5D Mark II:

I filmed this two weeks ago while I was on a holiday in Kenya. This was my first time filming raw, read about it 2 days before I left.
My first time really working with Magic lantern as well.

- I feel like youtube isn't doing the video justice, most parts are so much better quality on my computer...

In my experiences of using Youtube it will allow the video to choose a quality setting based on the resolution of the clip uploaded (obviously). The important part is is that if you shoot in slightly lower resolution (A point higher than 720p) Youtube will recognize it as 720p and it makes the footage a whole lot worse than it should. It may be hard to describe, sorry if you didn't understand.

The fix though: Upscale to something higher than 1080p (horizontal wise). I suggest 2560 for the vertical resolution, with instant HD. A magic bullet plugin for premiere pro, after effects, etc. This way youtube will analyze the footage allow the usage of the setting: "original". This will give a extremely sharp image, and it will sort of automatically downscale itself if you're using a 1080p monitor. Even if a user used a 1440p monitor it would still look better. So its a win win situation!