Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mageye

Nice shots  ;) :)(powerpc).

But the compressor is killing it :(. For your videos what format and resolution do you finalise to?

I am not sure if its YouTube's compression that's killing it or the your finalising format. For example I have finalised to ProResHQ and ProResLT and the files are admittedly pretty big. Also the upload time has been pretty long. But I am not seeing any major compression artifacts.

You can see examples of my little RAW experiments (uploaded to YouTube) if you want to see what I am talking about.

I really feel that all the gains you have made in using RAW have been negated by this compression. I understand that YouTube is never going to be perfect as it will compress it but it is actually capable of some pretty clean video. It's unfortunate because I love the shots. :(
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

PressureFM

For YouTube you might as well just export your projects as H.264 mov, as their compression is going to screw you over either way ;)

mageye

Quote from: PressureFM on May 28, 2013, 04:19:38 PM
For YouTube you might as well just export your projects as H.264 mov, as their compression is going to screw you over either way ;)

I think that's debatable ;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

powerpc

@megeye

Thank you! I am so happy that you like the shots

The original size is 1880x626  and 1920x640(5x corp), I use virtualDub convert the jpgs to avi, at that step, an 8s avi is 700mb. Then I use Pr to do the video, the output is h264 for Ipad, it is still 1920x1080, the size is 137mb for 3min video.

Could you please show me the link of your video; I would love to see that!

I am new to youtube and I found it is hard to control. When I watch the video, sometimes it gives me the high resolution, sometimes not. If you watch it on youtube and chose bigger video, it may become better.

I also uploaded it to vimeo, I post it here to see how it shows

Best regards

powerpc

@PressureFM

The video is h264.

In fact I am new to youtube and I am learning, I found my final video is small in size, it is only 137mb for 3min. I will try more :P

mageye

OK First of all I am glad that you took my comments as 'constructive criticism' because that's exactly what they were. All I wanted was for you to be presenting your videos in the best possible light!

I want people to see the power of the 5DMKII and the beauty of RAW.

Anyway my conclusion about what's happening with your videos is that its a work flow thing. From what you are describing there I can see several stages of degradation. Using 'lossy' formats like JPG will not help. What you are doing is compressing and then re-compressing and then YouTube will add its own compression on that.

Try outputting your projects to ProRes. These are compressed formats (correct me if I am wrong) but they are very good formats to work with. In fact I am not sure if you will have the option of ProRes on the PC? But there are some which I forget the name of now. I just googled it and there is a link here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4020662 which discusses it a little.

Basically if you can render to a non compressed format (or 'non-lossy' compressed) that would give you the best quality. Also avoid h264 (after all that is what we have been battling against all the time with the EOS cameras!)

*.TIFF is a 'non-lossy' format. *.PNG is too (basically *.JPG is a sin here!)

The thing about some videos playing at different resolutions is that when you upload a video it takes YouTube some time to process the video properly for the full resolutions so when you check back later they should be able to play back fully.

Also I did play your videos in 1080p mode. I am trying to cover a lots of stuff here in this post but if you have any more questions I will try and help you if I can. :)

A couple of my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Pf9iib286Vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RBt9nvER--o

sennn

Hello guys!

I have a question about cards, currently I use a kingston ultimate 16 gb 600x, which gives me about 22mb/s write speed, therefore i can only record about 80-100 frames in 1880x710 which is to be honest not a lot, so I'm looking for a new card to buy.
Sadly I live in hungary so I have access to Lexar 1000x cards which would the perfect choise, and even the smaller ones cost 2-3x price of the USD price (the 16 gb 600x ones cost about 300$).
I'm currently looking at the sandisk 16 gb extreme pro 90mb/s which I have seen a lot of you are using and the silicon power 1000x 16 gb, which I have no benchmarks but in theory it's udma 7 with 150mb/s.
Which would be the better choise, or what could i get in the same price range?
Thanks

mageye

Also (powerpc) I found this ...

I would definately advise rendering to ProRes from perhaps a Quicktime mov file (it's all very 'Mac' but it does work!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlc-7V9MSs&feature=youtu.be

Yoshiyuki Blade

The file splitting implementation on the latest build corrupts frames after about 1600 or so, presumably where the split occurs. edit: oops, meant to post this in the 5D2 builds thread.

a1ex

What kind of corruption?

moomilk

Quote from: sennn on May 28, 2013, 05:29:59 PM
Hello guys!

I have a question about cards, currently I use a kingston ultimate 16 gb 600x, which gives me about 22mb/s write speed, therefore i can only record about 80-100 frames in 1880x710 which is to be honest not a lot, so I'm looking for a new card to buy.
Sadly I live in hungary so I have access to Lexar 1000x cards which would the perfect choise, and even the smaller ones cost 2-3x price of the USD price (the 16 gb 600x ones cost about 300$).
I'm currently looking at the sandisk 16 gb extreme pro 90mb/s which I have seen a lot of you are using and the silicon power 1000x 16 gb, which I have no benchmarks but in theory it's udma 7 with 150mb/s.
Which would be the better choise, or what could i get in the same price range?
Thanks

I would suggest looking at 32Gb cards, as most 16Gbs tends to be slower.
I'm also thinking about getting fast CF right now and best bets seem to be Transcend 1000x 32Gb or Komputerbay 1000x 64Gb (btw both are available on eBay)

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: a1ex on May 28, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
What kind of corruption?

Lots of pink noise on some sections, noise/discoloration and vertical lines in others. I'll get some examples up in a bit. Gotta re-join/extract the frames again.

sennn

Quote from: moomilk on May 28, 2013, 08:35:59 PM
I would suggest looking at 32Gb cards, as most 16Gbs tends to be slower.
I'm also thinking about getting fast CF right now and best bets seem to be Transcend 1000x 32Gb or Komputerbay 1000x 64Gb (btw both are available on eBay)
Thanks, I guess it's time to start saving up then. :/

powerpc

@mageye

You realy did very nice videos, quite clear.

I do have MAC, but I used to use PC, I will figur out the way you suggested. Many thinks

noix222

@powerpc

the best workflow to me on a mac:

i process the raw file with raw2dng ... open After Effects import file as adobe camera raw sequence ... then simply export comp as proress4444... bum!  8)

Raelic

Quote from: olik on May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM
Hey folks,

I thought to open a specific topic for all discussions related to raw video on the 5dmk2.

Build 21 Mai by forum member "a.d." https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads
Build 20 Mai by forum member "a.d." https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads
Build 19 Mai by forum member "a.d." https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13314708/a75c4a74d4b9.zip
Build 17 Mai by forum member "a.d." https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13314708/dd53ca8bbeab.zip
Build 16 Mai (updated) by forum member "a.d." https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13314708/5D2_20130516_evening.zip
Build 15 Mai by forum member "d" https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzDGCq2guBAgb2UtVE1SUy0yeTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Here is an easy guide on how to shoot raw with the 5dmk2 by forum member "CrewOfOne"  http://5dfilmmaking.com/?p=62

Here are some of my resolution tests:

SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro 600x
Magic lantern Build 16Mai 17:14

1440x840@25 =  until 4GB limit                  50,7MB/sec
1644x900@25 = 1683 frames                     56,3MB /sec
1738x840@25 = 423 frames                        57.1MB/sec
1880x720@25 = 1531 frames (regression)   57,3MB/sec
1880x768@25 = 867 frames                        58,4MB/ sec
1880x840@25 = 213 frames                    ca 58,6MB/sec

Thanks
Oli

Maybe I am just missing it, but where are the newer versions of this? Thanks by the way for posting these up. I am hearing A.D. is creating newer builds but can't find them...any help appreciated.

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

powerpc

@ noix222--- Very cooooooooooool way!!!

I just tried, it is so eficient, I will look into it and thank you!

olik

Quote from: Raelic on May 29, 2013, 04:19:49 AM
Maybe I am just missing it, but where are the newer versions of this? Thanks by the way for posting these up. I am hearing A.D. is creating newer builds but can't find them...any help appreciated.

He is putting them always on the same link, so any of A.d. link should bring you do his latest stuff.

Clemens

Jipppiehhh, it's working fine for me on me 5D Mark II - I'm so happy. Just ordered a new CF Card. This is really revolutionary.
My workflow so far it using After Effects CS6, and that really worked out great, and I did not have any Crashes.
Only problem i had so far is, that sometimes, when the recording crashes, Raw2dng doesn't recognize the Raw file.
So will there be the possibility for only 12Bit Recording for the MKII, so that I can record in higher resolutions? Or perhaps the Ability to do 1080p in 14Bit? What's the Bottleneck there - is the card slot to slow?
Greets
Clemens

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on May 28, 2013, 07:21:12 PM
The file splitting implementation on the latest build corrupts frames after about 1600 or so, presumably where the split occurs.

Update: The latest build (from commit 9eaa84d...) by a.d. seems to have fixed the issue. I recorded till my 16 GB card maxed and it looks good all the way through.  Well, except for the last few dozen alternating frames, but it's always done that. Thank you!

NitromanX

I'm asking the same question Clemens - What bit depth will be possible with 5D2 and full 1920 x 1080 ?

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but this article seems to suggest very little difference between 12 bit colour and 14 bit colour.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/nikon-d300-d3-14-bit-versus-12-bit.html

I'd think i'd be happy with just 12bit 25fps on my 5D2 if it can shoot full HD - or is 1880 pixels the widest it can go ? All this info is such a lot to get your teeth in to  ;D

mageye

@NitromanX

That's an interesting article. What I make of it is that if you want to pull detail out of the shadows then 14-bit (or higher) will be much better than 12-bit. So if you have a habit of under exposing (so as not to clip the highlights) then 14-bit really is your friend.

However if you are in pretty good light, are not likely to clip, and you are not going to push things too much in post (basically getting the best exposure when you shoot); then it would be quite a feasible option to record in 12-bit.

I think anyone who is disciplined and has had to work with the limitations of H264 on the 5DMKII (or other EOS cameras) should already be acutely aware of how important getting the very best exposure is.

Of course the gain in speed and resolution that 12bit could bring is certainly an exciting prospect and I hope that there is a development and one day we have an option to select the bit resolution.

haysuess

Quote from: NitromanX on May 30, 2013, 01:21:08 AM
I'm asking the same question Clemens - What bit depth will be possible with 5D2 and full 1920 x 1080 ?

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but this article seems to suggest very little difference between 12 bit colour and 14 bit colour.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/nikon-d300-d3-14-bit-versus-12-bit.html

I'd think i'd be happy with just 12bit 25fps on my 5D2 if it can shoot full HD - or is 1880 pixels the widest it can go ? All this info is such a lot to get your teeth in to  ;D

If we can get 12-bit or 10-bit working, then we should be able to record 1880x1080 with no dropped frames, and an unnoticeable difference in image quality.

The 5D Mark II can't do 1920 because of hardware limitations. Even the 1920 available with the stock firmware and h264 is upscaled from 1880, as that is what gets output in RAW form.