Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Does it not work with exfat or something? Cards 64gb and up shouldn't be fat32.

bnvm

Hello,

I have a Monster 800X 32GB CF card and cannot even record 100 frames at 1280X720 without a ton of dropped frames, based off what I am reading I should be able to get much more than that. I have not done any optimizations just enable the module and started shooting, any ideas? Thanks.

NitromanX

I've just Googled fastest CF cards and these new Toshiba 1066x look amazing ...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/toshiba-compact-flash-exceria-pro-150mbps/

With 150-160Mb/sec speeds ...

Thoughts anyone ?

JackDaniel412

ryan_jackson

@JackDaniel412
Beautiful video of the forest. The dynamic range is amazing.
Can you please tell us which memory card you were using?
What version of the firmware were you using?
What was the longest clip you could record?
What resolution were you shooting at?

Thanks!

JackDaniel412

@ryan_jackson
I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB 90 MB/s (max rec RAW speed 58 MB/s), the version of magic lantern is 2.3 nightly may 19th and RAW module may 20th (now I installed themay 23rd built and works well).
Shot at the resolution 1880x720, i can reach the limit of 4 gb!

bnvm

OK so formatting my card helped, I can now get about 11 seconds at 1880x720 @ 24fps before getting dropped frames. I still feel like this is a bit low considering my card is advertised at 160 MBPS. Again any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks a ton to the developers, its amazing what you guys are able to get out of this camera.

a.d.

Quote from: domisol on May 23, 2013, 10:23:00 PM
Hi
I want to report bad recording in 5D2 with X10 MODE.
Running 21 may ML build, by a.d.
First, the problems are different withing even frames (00, 02, 04...) or odd numbered frames (01, 03, 05...).
Situation 1 = 1920x1078 : even frames badly encoded, like noise information. odd frames nearly ok, but with a few bad lines at the top or bottom.
Situation 2 = 1440x720 : even frames OK, odd frames are bad, in the sense that they are just the repetition of the same frame (frame #01).

Also, I want to say that even if recording properly @23,97 fps in X1 mode, it switches to 29,97 in X10 mode.

I'm currently uploading some frames at the following URL :
http://cembalo.free.fr/mlx10
Hope this helps.

Jean-David
Confirm. Thanks for the bug report. It's still there corrupt frames on every second in the current build. The other thing seems to be solve. Could you post it in (The zip file name is the build number):
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=23.0

@Ted
Thanks for the test

@JackDaniel412
beautiful

@bnvm
You could try the latest build. I find it really fast.

bnvm

I just installed the latest build last night, but I will check for a new one. Also I am noticing others are recording at resolutions that are not listed like 1600 for width. How are you doing this? Thanks.

olik

I did a first corporate project today with the 5dmk2.
Here is a screengrab from the heavy graded video

JackDaniel412

Quote from: olik on May 24, 2013, 07:55:27 PM
I did a first corporate project today with the 5dmk2.
Here is a screengrab from the heavy graded video

Wonderful shot!

a.d.

@bnvm
It's still there.

@olik
I need a vacation 8)

No Def

Quote from: bnvm on May 24, 2013, 06:51:06 PM
OK so formatting my card helped, I can now get about 11 seconds at 1880x720 @ 24fps before getting dropped frames. I still feel like this is a bit low considering my card is advertised at 160 MBPS. Again any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks a ton to the developers, its amazing what you guys are able to get out of this camera.

Things that can affect record time that I am aware of:

1. Still Picture mode.  Turn off RAW and only enable Jpeg.

2. Global Draw needs to be turned off in ML.

3. High ISO's = less record time.

4. Screen overlay's via the INFO button should be off.

On my 60MB/s Sandisk Extreme 16gb card I can get about 25sec of 1880x720.  YMMV

a.d.

We have on 5D2 more memory on JPG than Raw Mode (like the Burst Mode).

DAK29

I haven't received my 64gb 1000x Komputerbay CF yet but to my understanding, the MK5D2 doesn't use exFat, does it?

The procedure I intended to perform is to use GPARTED (Linux) to format the whole 64 gigs FAT32 like how you do with
an external PS3 drive on a hacked PS3. Is this the way?

OH YEAH and does anyone know how low level the filesystem is? Could an additional filesystem be added?
It would rock if we could use a decent FS like EXT! That would totally fix the 4gb file limit as well.

Setting up cards incorrectly can most deffinantly cause bad speeds and/or corruption.

Oh and whoever was talking about not maxing out their 160mb speed card - I think the MK25D is limited to around 65mb
so it doesn't matter what card you throw in it, it will never do better than that.

But of course this won't matter once they get the 12 bit mode working and it won't require as much speed anymore!

EVERYONE KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN FOR FIRST SIGN OF A BUILD OF THE NEW 10/12 MODE THAT'S PRECOMPILED FOR US! 8)
(I don't want to have to grab the dev kit and compile it myself as some are doing because I assume a precompiled one
will be popping up shortly plus probably be a better version anyhow. This stuff is so bleeding edge! I feel like doing cartwheels!)

Scogin

It does not sadly, it only works in FAT32. But a no limit record function has been implemented for the 5D2 it splits the recording into 3.7gig sections

Is the development of 10/12bit going well? Last time I checked it wasn't looking like a feasible option.

DAK29

scogin - When did they implement the file splitting for >4gig?

Why is the 10/12 bit thing not looking feasible? I thought they had some results already?
Just checked it out, sounds like they are up against a wall and begging for Tenacious D to help but he has gone?
I assume he is a dev who has helped a lot? Hopefully someone can figure it out. Looks like it works for a brief
time then cuts out like buffer is filling or something. It could very well simply be a bug they need to work out?

disuye

Quote from: NitromanX on May 24, 2013, 05:40:02 PM
I've just Googled fastest CF cards and these new Toshiba 1066x look amazing ...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/toshiba-compact-flash-exceria-pro-150mbps/

With 150-160Mb/sec speeds ...

Thoughts anyone ?

Hi - I bought one of these, 64GB, last week and am very impressed. The price in Hong Kong was $290 USD so very reasonable given the specs.

I'm running it without any hitch on my old 5Dmk2. RAW performance seems to be limited by the camera though as I'm only getting 62-63MB/s write speeds in the camera (whereas in a CF card reader on the laptop it's hitting upwards ~140 MB/s).

From my limited but positive experiences so far, this card is recommended. If any of the devs / mods can point me towards a proper benchmark test I'd be happy to share results.

xvince1

Quote from: Yomommassis on May 24, 2013, 04:44:27 PM
With my mark 2 I can't manage a 3.0x bitrate speed even with my Komputer Bay 1000x, and if I'm not mistaken it was my card that topped the benchmark chart

Windows cannot format FAT32 past 32GB natively, for this I used a program called FAT32Formatter.exe, but regardless I never noticed any speed increases with any chunk allocations or partition alignment/offset

Maybe I'm wrong about cluster size, but I've done some test (formating in windows utility in exFAT) on my 128Gb 600x with cristaldiskmark, and with max cluster size, I got a wall perf around 20-30Mo/s, everything got better (60/70Mo/s) since I format the card with default cluster size (don't know the real size)... but I'm not sure . Maybe I forget something. But I have some creepy performance on the internal ML bench (20-30mo/S), and I do not really understand how to do correct allignement on the CF (the allignement is not good on the 2 Komputerbay)... As I follow the tutorial, but there are some point I don't understand (when creating partition, the utility say there's no free space to create a partition...)

But I'm very interessed by your stat regarding bitrate with a good x1000 CF (as I've said, I maxed 2.3x out with the x600)

Sorry for this noob aparté  :-[

alexunderboots

please tell me how to save the settings RAW module? after each on-off has to re-enter the parameters

Northernlight

Hi, I have a 5D3, two 5D2's and a couple of Lexar 128GB 1000x Pro UDMA7, and a Sandik 128GB UDMA7 card.
I am sucessfully running full HD 1920x1080 24p/25p RAW video on my 5D3 using the Lexar Cards (30p stopping/dropping frames).

I wanted to test how well this worked on the 5D2, and as others have reported 1880x840 is maximum. I am able to record from 200-360 frames @23.976fps, and then it stops.

However, I managed to get some pretty good benchmark results on the 5D2 with the Lexar 1000x card (which currently is the fastest card available to mankind):

Strange that if the 5D2 and this card is capable of over 80MB/sec it should drop frames down at 60MB/s !??
Anyway, just thought I should share the results.

The benchmark using my Sandisk 128GB UDMA7 card was as expected slower, but still records just as good/long as the Lexar before dropping frames and stopping:

Edit: Sorry, I just realized after reading through some more that benchmarks done in playback mode is not valid, and the benching was done in playback mode, not Liveview mode. Here are the results in Liveview mode:

5D2 + Lexar 128GB 1000x:

5D2 + Sandisk 128GB Pro:

mvejerslev

Those benches are in playback mode with global draw on.
5D Mark II, PC

NickRamey

ALL I GET IS A FUZZY BLACK GRAINY SCREEN!!!

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: Northernlight on May 25, 2013, 01:48:31 PM
I wanted to test how well this worked on the 5D2, and as others have reported 1880x840 is maximum. I am able to record from 200-360 frames @23.976fps, and then it stops.

So the 5D2 skips frames at 1880x840 even though the benchmark results are well above the write speed requirements? 69 MB/s should be plenty... Were you recording with global draw on at the time? If so, did you try recording without it?

Thanks for the results btw, I lets us 5D2 owners get an idea of what our limits are and what to look out for in terms of future upgrades. :)

haysuess

Has anyone else noticed flickering between certain frames.

I'll get one frame every second or so that's like .05 stops brighter than the rest, or the whites only are .05 stops brigther or something.

Are their certain sliders in Lightroom that shouldn't be used for video because they create this kind of inconsistency?