Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

And also, the audio file is very long compared to the video.

Varying raw video clips recorded from 4, 5  to 6 seconds
have audio files that are the SAME in length of exactly;

6 min 12 sec.  (   06:12 )
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a1ex

That can't be fixed unless going back to the start of the file and rewriting the header. So... just trim it.

disuye

Massive fan of ML - and the work you guys have done toward RAW is brilliant.

I'm still using my trusty old 5Dmk2 and have been running into a lot of moire with the RAW video recording feature, how are the 5Dmk3 users fairing? Just wondering if this is the final nudge I need to upgrade my camera body!

Thanks in advance, Dan

ted ramasola

if you have the funds, go for the mkIII. If you still want to squeeze more usefulness from your mkII for less, get the mosaic VAF5d2.

This tests I did with charts show 5d2 raw video with and without vaf in charts near the end.

This is all charts in burst mode;

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

A1ex,

Is there a way to stop playback of a Raw video during in camera preview after it started playing?
Sometimes you just want to check if the image got recorded and want to do the next take asap but the current playback rate is slow and so if there is a STOP function, that would be great.
Maybe there is but I missed it so my apologies in advance.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

marten

I'm sorry I can't be of much help with the creation of the audio. You are way smarter than me and you are doing a great job!

disuye

Great thanks for these! Are 5dmk3 owners getting any moire at all with the RAW feature?

(p.s: thank you to the forum moderator who appended my thread here, much appreciated)

ted ramasola

Quote from: disuye on May 21, 2013, 01:52:25 PM
Great thanks for these! Are 5dmk3 owners getting any moire at all with the RAW feature?

Very minimal due to the aggressive OLPF. This also caused the mk3 to be a bit soft when recording native h264.  ...sigh.. you can't have it all. :)
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

rpmcam

6D maybe has a lot of moire too in raw, i test tonight, cause this is an issue.
Canon 6D, EF 24-105 f4L

noisyboy

It's basically down to the raw image being so unforgiving without the compression softening the detail. That and the line skipping on mkII and 6D making things so shit. I found after a lot of playing that you can help fight this in post with two things. The color artifacts can be treated by using a plugin like RE:Vision smooth kit to Gaussion Blur just the chroma. This is also possible by applying an anti moire filter in your Adobe raw settings when importing to AE by choosing the filter brush and painting using it to mask the whole image and then adjusting the moire slider to remove the horrible color artifacts. Be careful not to go too far as it can blur the wrong colors too much. After that you can use a plugin like Re:Vision Anti-Staircase (also a part of Smoothkit) in After Effects (it's called something like that) to blur the aliasing (a value of about 70 helps a lot). This of course blurs the image slightly but once the aliasing is smoothed you can return some sharpness with a sharp filter or un-sharp  mask. Better the image slightly soft anyway than having your image shimmering with moire and aliasing. Blugh!  8)

silwerfedlt

Quote from: domisol on May 20, 2013, 10:04:36 PM
May be this could interest devs. Had an issue with some underexposed and overexposed frames.
5D2 with ML Build 19 Mai by forum member "a.d."
I uploaded the frames here :
http://cembalo.free.fr/ml2
000092.dng is normal exposed frame
000093.dng is under exposed
000099.dng is over exposed

What workflow did you use? AE, photoshop? Lightroom? Sometimes in AE for example if you have more than one xmp or .raw file in there you will get differenet raw conversions... What I mean is that maybe you have opened frame 0001 and also frame 0055 and tried out differenet raw conversion settings (in any adobe product) then your conversion changes on frame 0055...

I hope this makes sense...

I´ve have done alot of testing and haven´t seen any exposure change

Cheers

noix222

guys, with the new build 21th, when i record with 5x it comes out with 30 fps not 24, is that right ? And i also can't get 1880x840 full recording in 5x... it could be the extra 6 frames? because without the 5x im able to record fulltime 24fps in 1880x840 with a KomputerBay 1000x 64gb...

mvejerslev

Noix22, turn on FPS override.
5D Mark II, PC

noix222

mvejerslev! worked beautifully!!! now i recorded fulltime in 1920x840 5x 24fps ...

so i should always work with fps override ON for the RAW ?

"desired FPS 24 ( from 24 )"
"optimize for Exact FPS"
"actual FPS 24"

is this settings correct?

i also could record a bit more frames in 1880x960 with FPS override ON... i got 500 frames before i was getting 400...

domisol

Well my workflow is LR, but before posting I checked the .dng in itself, alone, opening in PS.
So the issue doesn't come from the workflow.
However it didn't occured since then.
Thanks.

Quote from: silwerfedlt on May 21, 2013, 02:34:21 PM
What workflow did you use? AE, photoshop? Lightroom? Sometimes in AE for example if you have more than one xmp or .raw file in there you will get differenet raw conversions... What I mean is that maybe you have opened frame 0001 and also frame 0055 and tried out differenet raw conversion settings (in any adobe product) then your conversion changes on frame 0055...

I hope this makes sense...

I´ve have done alot of testing and haven´t seen any exposure change

Cheers

Kabuto1138

Getting the full 4gb limit with 1880 x 840 using a Lexar 1000x card with no problem using today's (21 of May) build.

gandalfk7

if they are useful for the development I have some artifacts in my images,
recorded on a 30mbs sandisk 1280x540: http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/993/raw1j.png
used the 21st version

mvejerslev

>so i should always work with fps override ON for the RAW ?

Its only necessary in crop mode.
5D Mark II, PC

vikado

there's no way to get around the 4gb limit?
so that means getting 5dm3.  :-\
5d2 user

bigshave

Hey guys, here's my first test video. Has anybody had corrupt raw files that won't convert to DNG? I shot 20 clips and 3 of them won't open. I think there is less moiré / aliasing with raw. Lots of bricks, details and patterns.

Gear:
- 24-105L IS
- Hand-held, IS ON
- Transcend CF Card 16GB 600x

Camera / Magic Lantern Settings:
- ISO 320/640
- 50 shutter
- 1880 x 840
- ML nightly build May 19, 2013
- Raw camera Module
- Canon Camera Video X Picture Profile

Postproduction:
- Converted with Raw2DNG app
- Color Correction with Adobe Photoshop
- Exported @ 23.98fps and up-converted to 1080p with QT7
- Edited with FCP X
- Music by Kurt Vile - Nicotine Blues

disuye

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 21, 2013, 01:54:34 PM
Very minimal due to the aggressive OLPF. This also caused the mk3 to be a bit soft when recording native h264.  ...sigh.. you can't have it all. :)

Is there anyway for Magic Lantern to 'crop' the sensor when capturing raw? This would eliminate the line skipping ergo moire (I think, I'm not an expert on this) ... Yes, you would lose the 5D's full frame aesthetic and would have to use wider lenses for the same FOV, but it'd be a very interesting experiment.

Nachelsoul

Hello guys. This is my first boring plants test with the 5DmkII

I tried different approaches to get rid of the Aliasing and moire, not enough but works better than the original file.

mvejerslev

disuye,

Did you try? Indeed its possible, been playing with that feature myself, and found that I was recording 1920x720 on my 5D Mark II in 24FPS override in crop mode!! I didnt even know the 5D could do 1920. Anyway, the shots are gorgeous.
5D Mark II, PC

Africashot

Quote from: disuye on May 22, 2013, 07:39:33 AM
Is there anyway for Magic Lantern to 'crop' the sensor when capturing raw? This would eliminate the line skipping ergo moire (I think, I'm not an expert on this) ... Yes, you would lose the 5D's full frame aesthetic and would have to use wider lenses for the same FOV, but it'd be a very interesting experiment.

This is already working, just use the zoom button in live view and you can record a 1920 x whatever you choose 1:1 crop
ML 5D2 & T3i

savale

Does anyone know what is the technical problem of not being able to shoot at 1920 width (but 1880) when not in crop mode? Is it because of the amount of sensor pixels?
I don't really get it because the 5d2 has 5613 pixels width right? divide it with 3 means 1871 pixels, so how is it even possible to shoot at 1880 width? ::)