Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

It's placebo, it has absolutely no effect on 5D2.

Hazer

Given the relatively brief recording times we're getting here on the 5d2 for anything approaching 1080p, it would be great if we could enable an optional 10-second pre-record delay in the menus.  Just like the 10-second delay mode for stills.  For those of us doing solo shoots, narrative, video blogging, or anything else where the shooter also needs to get into the shot, this would allow enough time to do so.  Ideally, this would trigger the audio sync "beep" when recording actually starts, as a kind of 'on air' notification.

In the earlier builds, the "allocating" phase that appeared right after starting record actually functioned that way.  I'm getting more frames now with the later builds, but I'm wasting them running into the shot and getting set up.

To be clear, this would be an optional item, in the raw menu, settable for when it's useful.

Thoughts?

rs555

@Hazer: good idea.

On more or less the same topic. it would be great to be able to configure the "Rec key" setting so that raw recording can be triggered through "Halfshutter" (and wired remote), as well!

abaeza

A bit of skin just for testing

Kabuto1138

Hey Guys,

Have any of you experienced color shifts halfway through a clip?

haysuess

I tried the May 19 build on my 5D Mark II, and I can only get 155-185 frames at 1280x720 @ 24fps on a Transcend 400x 32GB card, even with Hack3d mode.

I know the card isn't the best, but it should only need 36.9MB/s for these settings, and my card benchmarks around 45-55MB/s. I feel like I'm getting way less frames than I should, anyone have any other ideas?

ted ramasola

Quote from: haysuess on May 20, 2013, 03:43:03 AM
I tried the May 19 build on my 5D Mark II, and I can only get 155-185 frames at 1280x720 @ 24fps on a Transcend 400x 32GB card, even with Hack3d mode.

I know the card isn't the best, but it should only need 36.9MB/s for these settings, and my card benchmarks around 45-55MB/s. I feel like I'm getting way less frames than I should, anyone have any other ideas?

at that resolution I can get 178 frames from a 133X card.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

haysuess

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 20, 2013, 03:47:33 AM
at that resolution I can get 178 frames from a 133X card.

Exactly! I feel like something is just not right. Global draw is off too, not like that would make such a huge difference. I feel like I'm missing something, but I know I'm not. I'm reformatting my CF card now to see if that makes any difference.

I'm seeing some stuff about aligning partitions on CF cards in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5471.75

But I'm not sure exactly what they're doing because they don't really mention it in depth.

ted ramasola

Did you do your benchmark test with live view on?
The transcends are not high on the reliability list that some have posted.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

bass1012dash

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 20, 2013, 04:44:22 AM
Did you do your benchmark test with live view on?
The transcends are not high on the reliability list that some have posted.

Anyone else having trouble getting the modules running on the may 20th nightly?

Yomommassis

Quote from: haysuess on May 20, 2013, 03:43:03 AM

5D Mark 2 - May 19 build - Transcend 32GB 400x
1280x720 24p - no skip
1880x720 24p - 306 frames before skip

global draw off
no sound
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Yomommassis

Quote from: haysuess on May 20, 2013, 04:38:02 AM
Exactly! I feel like something is just not right. Global draw is off too, not like that would make such a huge difference. I feel like I'm missing something, but I know I'm not. I'm reformatting my CF card now to see if that makes any difference.

I'm seeing some stuff about aligning partitions on CF cards in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5471.75

But I'm not sure exactly what they're doing because they don't really mention it in depth.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about
I just recorded the same thing on the 5D Mark 2
1880x720 24p 306 frames

default format
1024 align
4096 align

all of them were still 306 frames
no increase in performance
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Nachelsoul

Hi guys. I´ve been using this weekend the 13May Coutts build, and I got severe aliasing and moire in the 1880x720 resolution. I´m using Sandisk Extreme 60mb/s, I was be able to record 14 seconds before skipping. The IQ is wonderfull, but the aliasing is very noticiable.
I would like to ask you if the newer builds have fix that problem or if it cannot be fixed due the 5DmkII sensor. Thanks.

ted ramasola

aliasing and moire cannot be fixed on the mkII unless you use the VAF5d2 filter.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Nachelsoul

Thanks Ted. I have used softer lenses to get rid off the detail, but unfortunatly It did not work.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Nachelsoul on May 20, 2013, 08:49:46 AM
Thanks Ted. I have used softer lenses to get rid off the detail, but unfortunatly It did not work.

You're welcome,

for your added info on the importance of adding a VAF filter to the 5d2 for serious work here are two tests I did:

2nd test, charts are at the near end:
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Africashot

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 20, 2013, 08:53:24 AM
You're welcome,

for your added info on the importance of adding a VAF filter to the 5d2 for serious work here are two tests I did:

I can only second that, I was out yesterday doing some tests and while the color and dynamic range is amazing the aliasing and moire is beyond anything acceptable, also I blew my load in no time as I only had a 16gb card with acceptable speed, therefore to me it looks like if I want to use this on the job I'll need at least 4x 1000x64gb cards and the VAF filter, meaning it is a 1000$+ investment to turn the 5D2 into a RAW camera that won't do full HD at least for now; the BMCPC juts started looking attractive again! But it has always been my intention to hold on to my 5D2 in any case, there is some sort of sentimental relationship... 
ML 5D2 & T3i

a.d.

Moiré
we have now RAW files. Theoretically it's more easy to fix that in post than H264.

I just read an interesting article about bayer-moire

Could someone provide me a raw frame with Moiré to test?

Nachelsoul

Quote from: Africashot on May 20, 2013, 09:32:29 AM
the aliasing and moire is beyond anything acceptable
I second that, Africashot. I praise the work that A1ex and the developers are doing with these cameras. But unfortunatly only the MarkIII has the Raw potential. The ML RAW development is awesome, but the 5DmkII can not hold it yet, hope in a future. Interesting link about Moire. If we could do something in ACR to get rid off, could be a great solution.

Nachelsoul

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 20, 2013, 08:53:24 AM
You're welcome,

Thanks Ted. Nice tests. I still see the image jagged even with VAF filter. Not too much, but still there. Looks it is not the definitive solution. Hope someone find a solution via ACR.

wl_kicker

there are some color noise in the edge area between bright and dark..looks like paper print's ink points..i don not know how to post the image to show the screen capture..

savale

Is it even possible to remove the aliasing effects in post? It's a nasty effect that comes even more into play at these high raw detailed resolutions.  :-\

a1ex

Read some signal processing theory and you'll find out the sad answer ;)

You really need a filter before sampling, not after.

critycal

Quote from: savale on May 20, 2013, 02:17:12 PM
Is it even possible to remove the aliasing effects in post? It's a nasty effect that comes even more into play at these high raw detailed resolutions.  :-\
Having raw, you can try to open the files in lightroom and use the anti moire brush, it might work.