Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasting Image

Thanks for the reply reddeercity!

Quote from: reddeercity on September 30, 2014, 05:37:21 AM
Maybe Just 3x Crop Mode ...   
Min. Card Spec is 1000X CF(Lexar Work very well Or Komputerbay) for Raw...   
In 3x Crop mode you can capture up to 2144x1076 @ 23.976 for about 10-15 Seconds...   
When the Write speed can no longer be maintained...   
and Never a Problem --

I don't think 3x Crop Mode is an option for me considering the water clarity where I'm shooting - need the full frame 15mm fisheye.
I've been pointed towards the SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB CompactFlash Memory Card UDMA 7, 160MB/s.  How does that compare to the Lexar or Komputerbay for RAW? I'm not sure what 1000x means.
If understand correctly then, I am limited to a certain amount of time, like your 10 -15 seconds, depending on if I'm putting tons of data onto the card but can record continuously if it doesn't overwhelm the card speed? Is that correct?
The more I read (it's been a lot) the more I feel like problems are rare and easy to correct if encountered. Sure hope that's the case because I think I'm going to go for it!

Thanks again reddeercity!

Nando5000

Hey guys I have been wondering. I seem to have the problem that while recording RAW the camera keeps changing color temperature automatically. Even when I have set my color temperature at 5500 Kelvin. It still changes or does an automatic white balance. Is there a way to turn that off?
Have you guys experience the same problem?

On another topic, I did this video with RAW a while back. There I also experienced some difficulties with changing color temperature. However, I was in some way able to fix it on Resolve. I also made the mistake to try to grade the Apple Pro Res files and not the DNGs. Which made things a little difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUtjb2zP3A

Anyways, if anyone has experienced the same problems and has a solution please let me know! 

reddeercity

QuoteI don't think 3x Crop Mode is an option for me considering the water clarity where I'm shooting
It's not that, It really when you shoot fine patterns or angler objects and better low light performance ,
because of line skipping and pixel binding in 1:1 and 3x crop mode is 1:1 pixels no pixel binding.

QuoteI've been pointed towards the SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB CompactFlash Memory Card UDMA 7, 160MB/s.  How does that compare to the Lexar or Komputerbay for RAW?
Lexar are top cards and the most reliable but cost a little more, Sandisk are fine it come down to cost and the valve you put
on the footage. If you are filming on a paid job then I would go for the best (Lexar) if not then Sandisk or the Komputerbay
will work. But the Lexar is faster , and record more frames @ very high resolution size before it drop frames.

QuoteI'm not sure what 1000x means.
The speed of the CF Card
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash
QuoteCompactFlash IDE (ATA) emulation speed is usually specified in "x" ratings, e.g. 8x, 20x, 133x. This is the same system used for CD-ROMs and indicates the maximum transfer rate in the form of a multiplier based on the original audio CD data transfer rate, which is 150 kByte/s.
R = {K \cdot 150}, kByte/s
where R = transfer rate, K = speed rating. For example, 133x rating means transfer speed of: 133 * 150 kByte/s = 19,950 kByte/s ~ 20 MB/s.
The speed rating quoted is almost always the read speed, while write speed is often slower.

QuoteIf understand correctly then, I am limited to a certain amount of time, like your 10 -15 seconds, depending on if I'm putting tons of data onto the card but can record continuously if it doesn't overwhelm the card speed? Is that correct?
Yes, because of the CF card interface is limited to about 80 MB/s verses the 5D3 at about 95-120MB/s.

QuoteThe more I read (it's been a lot) the more I feel like problems are rare and easy to correct if encountered. Sure hope that's the case because I think I'm going to go for it!
Good ! once you go raw you won't go back to h264 no matter on tough the raw workflow is. ;)

SpcCb

QuoteI keep reading that Sandisk cards are cheaper.. But in my experience Sandisk cards are always more expensive...
What I find:
Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 160mb/s; $350
Lexar professional 128GB 1066x; $250

Am I missing something..?
Maybe it depends of the country (market place) ?
In Europe Sandisk is more expensive than Lexar, and a quick view in Asia show me it looks same.

However Sandisk _specially last products_ are more reliable in extreme conditions; we use it because all other brands (tested) cannot work fine at -30°C, +60°C, under HF vibrations, condensed humidity, etc.
Of course, for a regular use no need to pay an extra cost for this.

Lasting Image

raindeercity - Thanks again! That really helps!

alex.chu.75

Weekday does Oli mean by regression?

togg

I was wondering. How does work the CF by Komputerbay 128gb 1050X (or 1060X). Last time I remember people had some problems with it, has the situation evolved?
A the moment I'm using 64gb 1000X.

togg

AC B

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the black levels, i cant find the option to do so only on and off...
Thanks
Peace

Karmaschinken

Hello nice girls and guys. Wow, what an old thread this has become. I was once among the first who bought a 5D2 and followed the way of ML when the RAW version was released once. Then for years I did not use my 5D2 at all.

Now due to Corona I have to somehow step back into my old business and was wondering, if the RAW filming with the 5D2 has progressed.

Actually I can't find a clear description of what can be achieved with the 5D2 now. So could someone please help me:

I want to shoot 5 or 6 seconds of RAW footage with the highest possible resolution. I don't care so much about fps but resolution is important. So is there a way to make my good old 5D2 record in FullHD at say 20 fps or so? Or even better? I tried, but did not succeed. However I read that ML is capable of that?

Thanks! Martin

Karmaschinken

Ok, that was exactly what I was looking for. However I had the dream that it was possible to just lower the framerate to say 20 fps to make it possible to set recording resolution to 1920x1080. So I will check if I can go along with the crop mode or if I scale up the 1880 to 1920. Thanks!

Boygetslost

Hey everyone, I have been using my 5d2 with an external monitor and I have found that the records times are slightly reduced.

I have Global draw set to turn off when recording and I don't have the sound module.

In other peoples experience, is there any settings I can tweak to squeeze some more performance out of it?

Cheers
Chris

ZEEK

Shoot with 10 bit enabled on the 5D2 if you haven't done so already.
EOS M

Kharak

Quote from: Boygetslost on January 10, 2021, 05:52:52 PM
Hey everyone, I have been using my 5d2 with an external monitor and I have found that the records times are slightly reduced.

I have Global draw set to turn off when recording and I don't have the sound module.

In other peoples experience, is there any settings I can tweak to squeeze some more performance out of it?

Cheers
Chris

You can lower the resolution slightly until you reach continues or satisfactory record times, but this will crop the image relatively ofcourse

or lower the Bit Depth.
once you go raw you never go back

Boygetslost

Thanks everyone.

I actually went back to the last nightly build from 2018, for stability issues, one of the experimental builds I was using seems to corrupt files every now and then. I am only interested in using 14bit raw anyway.

I am having issues with my external monitor, sometimes I get pink flickers for a second and my last batch if clips had flickering issues that ruined them.

Is there a problem with the 5d2 and using an external monitor in raw?
(Both the experimental build and the older nightly build, seemed to cause some issues when I plugged my Cinieroid HDMI EVF/monitor).

Thanks
Chris

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: Boygetslost on January 12, 2021, 06:40:56 PM
Thanks everyone.

I actually went back to the last nightly build from 2018, for stability issues, one of the experimental builds I was using seems to corrupt files every now and then. I am only interested in using 14bit raw anyway.

I am having issues with my external monitor, sometimes I get pink flickers for a second and my last batch if clips had flickering issues that ruined them.

Is there a problem with the 5d2 and using an external monitor in raw?
(Both the experimental build and the older nightly build, seemed to cause some issues when I plugged my Cinieroid HDMI EVF/monitor).

Thanks
Chris

I have the same issue recording in both 10 and 12 bit using an external monitor.
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX