Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyD30

@johnny5D

Also, who knows what else they did in post? Could have used mattes, windows, modified raw import settings, etc.

Suggestion, for higher quality video viewing, try Vimeo at max bitrate instead.

EDIT: You may have rendered at 25 Mbps, but for sure youtube re-encoded it much lower. Find youtubes and vimeos recommended upload settings per format and resolution and encode your videos to those settings, so that they don't do it for you, which if that's the case who knows which bitrate they are using?

johnny5d

Thanks Jimmy!...

I found this video of someone that clams this is the best rendering settings for youtube
What do you guys think about this settings?   (8mbs .wmv):

jimmyD30

I don't use Sony Vegas, but it all sounds right to me. I'm sure those settings will render your video best for YouTube presentation.

But no doubt what @Kharak and I said above is more important to the 'look' of your videos than anything else. Regarding that Ducati video, certainly lighting when it was shot is critical to it's look and probably some creative color grading in post as well.

mihaii

Where can I find the latest build?

it's the one on 2014-02-14 ?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds

Robbe

Installed latest nighly build (tried also with earlier versions), loaded raw_rec module and reboot.
The Menu/Modules shows raw_rec OK, but Menu/Movies are all dimmed and no green dot. In Menu/Modules/RAW video shows N/A, but I can set resolution and record.
Just after recording, the green dot lights and showing resolution. But when reboot there is no resolution showing and no green dots. Have to start over again every time.
//RobBe
Canon 5D MarkII, Canon 600D, EF 14mm, EF 15mm, EF 35-350, EF 70-200  ML: latest Nighly Build + RAW video module. 32GB Sandisk 800x (120 MB/s) card.

judewk

help

having an issue with shooting raw,
tried both . raw & mvl and
have teh same problem were i cannot change  the shutter speed or iso
once RAW recording starts

i get the following warning message
i have selected M on the dial and Auto exposure!!! set LV display : movie from exp menu
so i go to the canon menu set, live view function settings and set to movie display
but each time i return to menu the arrow is points to stills+movie

when shooting non raw video teh shutter & iso changes show in the monitor/ apply to teh video

have reset the camera, re installed magic lantern,  all to no avail
tryed diff nityly bulds please help

help!

dd2020

My first music vid shot from MagicLantern 5Dll

Thank you guys very much... for good great creation...

matthieu

When ML RAW was "released" i just had to buy a MKII. Since then i played around all this time and spent a good amount of time in this forum.
So i thought that now, that i finally realised a project using ML RAW i would share some thoughts here too.
This is the final film:
(I actually dint't get my Vimeo Movie to embbed here - someone knows how to..?) -thanks jimmyD30  ;)

I shot it with very skeleton crew - only me  ;D  So it was quite a hassle, but i had all the freedom on this project. So i gave it a try.
The post-workflow again was a lot of work. I had about 250-300 GB of material. I previewed my MLV files in "MlRawViewer" and exported DNG sequences.  Those worked fine in premiere luckily - so i was able to do a reference-cut. After that i had to process all used DNG files through After Effects (camera raw) to get my colors.
The grading was done in premiere.
For the slo-mo i used twixtor (mostly in premiere again).  A lot of footage dind't work for twixtor though - so this unfortunately reduced my selection. It would have been really good to have had filmed on 60fps.  But well, not even on the MKIII you are able to film 60fps on a "real" format.

To sum it up - i am really pleased with what you can do with ML RAW.  The workflow is a bit tough but i would do it again. Only the limitations of the MKII could be a showstopper (mainly format-wise).  I didnt have a lot of problems with the aliasing - but i am shure they would show up when you least need it! ;P   If i do it again i will probably shoot on a MKIII - which i will rent, i guess. But this experience also aroused my interest to higher end RAW cams and working with them - probably with a proper DOP then though ;)

jimmyD30

Looks good!

Yes, remove 's' from 'https' ;)

barepixels

matthieu, good job bro.  thanks for sharing with us
5D2 + nightly ML

guentergunter

I have a really big problem with banding!

I post it here first - but maybe it's worth a new threat?
Since it's not like what I've seen over the past by myself or by others.

Here's a frame demonstrating the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktip4trlrqriiuq/Fehler.jpg?dl=0

Here are also the 16-bit CinemaDNG files:
DNGs from RAWMagic
DNGs from raw2cdng
Both programms are the very latest versions.

After three hours on the set, the problem appeared in the middle of a take and then periodically repeated through some following takes. Then it disappeared again and after one hour or so it came back.

I tried to reproduce the problem (overheating, different frame rates (since I shot 24.000 for the first time), all CF-cards used that day, that old build and the latest build with mlv) without success.

It's recorded with raw_rec.mo from an old nightly from last year. The reason for this is:
I didn't have the time to study latest developments and wanted to go safe using a build I already and successfully recorded three short movies with.
Anyway: The problem looks like a sensor error, since it's moving through the frame from bottom to top (with a duration of 2-3 frames).

I'm also afraid of just using MLV - since I'm not sure, if the problem really comes from that old build or rather from ML or the cam.

Any help would highly be appreciated!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

reddeercity

@guentergunter, To me looks like Card write problems , I use to see this with my Slower Cards at higher frame resolution (Sandisk 60Mb/s cards).
Did you try a older build of raw2cdng to convert ?
I use Version 1.4.9 as it is the only version that can be read Cross platform (Mac/PC) with out green or pink cast at 16bit.

QuoteI'm also afraid of just using MLV - since I'm not sure, if the problem really comes from that old build or rather from ML or the cam

I have been using MLV+Audio Nightly Build since Feb,15/2014 for all my work and it have never let me down once.
I still use Raw v1.0 build from back in Oct 2013 for 3x Crop video mode in 2K .
So I don't think ML is the problem , More to do with Getting Hot and Card Write issue.
I know when my Lexar 1000x 64GB gets too hot it will drop frame even on lower resolution ,
usually after about an hour or so, and that's with 5D2.

What CF Cards are you using ?
What Raw build are you using ?

guentergunter

Thank you reddeercity!

Quote from: reddeercity on September 09, 2014, 12:40:09 AM
@guentergunter, To me looks like Card write problems , I use to see this with my Slower Cards at higher frame resolution (Sandisk 60Mb/s cards).
Did you try an older build of raw2cdng to convert ?
I use Version 1.4.9 as it is the only version that can be read Cross platform (Mac/PC) with out green or pink cast at 16bit.

The pink cast is no big problem - since I convert and edit the footage in ProRes4444.
But I'll try that version out! Maybe I'll switch to native CDNG-editing in the future.

Quote from: reddeercity on September 09, 2014, 12:40:09 AM
So I don't think ML is the problem , More to do with Getting Hot and Card Write issue.
I know when my Lexar 1000x 64GB gets too hot it will drop frame even on lower resolution ,
usually after about an hour or so, and that's with 5D2.

What CF Cards are you using ?
What Raw build are you using ?

I'm using two Lexar 1000x card (64GB and 32GB) and one SanDisc Extreme Pro 90MB/s (32GB).
I used the "magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Sep08.5D2212" together with a.d.'s modification "6bb97bcbc0f4" (also build around this date).

Now that you say it: It could have been a heat problem.
Since the problem occurred on at least two cards (I don't remember witch ones), all brands are affected.

Would you say, that the actual nightly build "magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep01.5D2212" is safe for production work?
Anyone knows which temperature is critical?

Thanks in advance!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

reddeercity

Hey the Same CF Cards I have,  :) Not to sure about the Sept 1st Nightly builds for productions work.
There's still some things broken like Card Format (wipe the whole card) .
So I would say no for now as it looks like no one is maintaining 5D2 builds , seem everyone
is all over the 5d3,7d with silence pictures and workflow problems and have forgot about Raw Video  :(
I personally use the Oct A.D. build & the Feb16th nightly build .
2 reasons I still use the feb build . Everything work, there is no non functional features everything
works like it should, never crashes even with HDMI attach and displays properly .
Of course I still the have the benefit of 1872 , also proper framing in 3x crop mode with the half shutter button in Color.

But on the bright side the new nightly with the SRM job memory buffers works better with Slower CF cards but no advantage
for faster 1000x Cards at least on the 5d2. 
Its seem after  Mid Feb. the nightly builds seem to have increasing problems that could not be trusted for paid work.
As the links are gone for those builds , ML dose not want those links posted publicly any more,
if you PM I will give you the links that I  saved , and there still work .

Boygetslost

Hey everyone.
I have been using the 5d2 raw for a while, here is my latest film. I made with it.
I have two questions I am hoping someone might have an answer to.

1. Can we output a better then 420p hdmi signal for focusing with magic lantern?
2. What is the fasted constant recording we can get at the moment?
I have had results up to 1872x 940. Though I have heard we can get higher. I would love a little more resolution, are there any recommended settings to get slightly more resolution. Im using a 64gb komputer bay card.
Thanks
Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzvy142G-Kc

mihaii

What is the stable resolution for MLV on 5D mark II ?
i tried 1856 with an 1.85 ratio but on my both two cards it stopped after 30 seconds or so (Komputerbay 1000X 64GB and Lexar 32GB 1000x)

oc_masta

Is anyone using an EF-S Lens with their mark2 and shooting in crop mode RAW.
Seems like the perfect solution for 2k raw that is moire free.

It would only make a 1.7x crop recording using an EF-S lens. So a tokina 11-16mm f2.8 becomes a 18-27mm (APS-C equivalent).

reddeercity

QuoteWhat is the stable resolution for MLV on 5D mark II ?
i tried 1856 with an 1.85 ratio but on my both two cards it stopped after 30 seconds or so (Komputerbay 1000X 64GB and Lexar 32GB 1000x)

For continuous recording of MLV+Audio the maximum Frame  Size 1856x928  23.976p 1:1 or if you have the
Mid Feb nightly build it's 1872x936 23.976p 2:1 AR plus HDMI connected.
If you have the Oct '13 Raw v1.0 you can get 1856x1004
23.976p 1.85:1 AR. continuous with 1000x CF card with HDMI connected.
I use Lexar 1000x 64(14 min.) & 32(8 min) GB cards, 1856x**** 1.85:1 AR is NOT continuous with MLV Raw v2.0
In 3x crop mode 1920x960 23.976p is continuous also,

Frank7D

oc_masta, you can't put an EF-S lens on an EF camera (but you can put an EF lens on an EF-S camera). Of course, The Tokina you mentioned is an EF lens.

oc_masta

Yes you can, and the tokina 11-16mm is an EF-S lens:
http://vimeo.com/23694188

Only certain EF-S lenses, where the rear element moves into the camera body when focussing, will have issues in a EF body.

EDIT: surely I can't have been the first to figure this out ?

walter_schulz

Please don't mix up terms.
EF-S is a mount introduced and used by Canon only. It was derived from EF mount.
Because Canon's EF-S lenses are built to have a shortened distance between last lens group and sensor they will damage cameras with full frame sensors! Mirror will collide.

EF-S lenses have a smaller image circle and that would cause mechanical vignetting (= blackened corners) in APS-C cams.
Third parties like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina (and others) build lenses with smaller image circle intended to be used on APS-C cams only. These are not EF-S mounts.

There are some hardware hacks available to shorten the prolonged part of an EF-S lens so you may use it on full frame cams. 17-55/2.8 comes to mind.

oc_masta

QuotePlease don't mix up terms.
EF-S is a mount introduced and used by Canon only. It was derived from EF mount.
Because Canon's EF-S lenses are built to have a shortened distance between last lens group and sensor they will damage cameras with full frame sensors! Mirror will collide.
umm, thats exactly what i said, but only some will cause problems. Just to be clear, the mounts are IDENTICAL aswell as the flange distance.

QuoteEF-S lenses have a smaller image circle and that would cause mechanical vignetting (= blackened corners) in APS-C cams.
Third parties like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina (and others) build lenses with smaller image circle intended to be used on APS-C cams only. These are not EF-S mounts.

Obviously the point of my statement was that an EF-S lens would project onto a smaller APS-C sensor, hence why they would be perfect for 2k ML CROP RAW on a full frame sensor?
Also, Third parties do make lenses for EF and EF-S mounts, (sigma lenses denoted with DG and DC for example).  EF-S does of course mean that the lens is designed to project onto the smaller APS-C sensor, therefore it would obviously cause a vignette on a full frame, everyone knows that. My point is, its perfect for crop mode raw recording, thats it.

Lasting Image

Hi - I'm considering ML on my 5D2 for RAW underwater video. From what I've seen the improvement in clarity may be worth the effort of learning this stuff. Since I'm a newbe at this, here are some basic questions - and sorry to any of you who are saying to themselves, oh God, again? :

1) Are there any recommendations on where to look specifically for ML and 5DII underwater use?
2) Card times - how much total raw video (min/sec) can I capture on different size/make of cards?
3) When mentioning "dropped frames" what exactly does that mean? I'm assuming it means that some limit of the card has been reached. --??
4) From what I've been reading it seems I'll need to shoot in 20ish second segments until the card is full - correct?
5) Do you know of any examples of irreparable damage to 5DII's that have installed ML?
6) Are there things I need to take into consideration I may be missing before taking the leap?

Thanks for any replies!

reddeercity

QuoteHi - I'm considering ML on my 5D2 for RAW underwater video

I'm a 5D2 User  :D

1) Can you explain further ? Maybe Just 3x Crop Mode (no line skipping & almost "0" moire & aliasing)
2)Min. Card Spec is 1000X CF(Lexar Work very well Or Komputerbay)  for Raw ,
64 GB will get about 12-14 minutes & the 32 GB = about 7-8 minutes @ 1856x928 @23.97p
In theory you can Capture up to 1856x1250 3:2 AR 1:1 mode for up to 10+ Seconds I think, on older Raw v1.0 builds
I was getting up to 1880x1250 23.976 for about 15+ seconds. In 3x Crop mode you can capture up to 2144x1076 @ 23.976 for about 10-15 Seconds
but I use 2048x1024 can get about 30 second to 1 min.
3)When the Write speed can no longer be maintained .
4)No, you can record Continuously @ 1856x928 @ 23.976 until the Cards full , with a 1000X CF. (look at #2 answer)
and in 3x crop mode its 2048x872 @ 23.976p .
5)I have used ML Raw for every project since June/2013 and Never a Problem , but caution should always be used, ( it's not for the faint of hearts)
You can brick you camera but I really haven't heard of any cases since raw or ever, but there's always someone somewhere .