Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyD30

Thank you @reddeercity for your quick response and sharing your extensive knowledge of ML features with all of us!

Great video by the way, as always of course :) Looking forward to playing with the 5DM2 and your future post...

reddeercity

Quote from: jimmyD30 on April 26, 2014, 02:26:07 PM
Thank you @reddeercity for your quick response and sharing your extensive knowledge of ML features with all of us!

Great video by the way, as always of course :) Looking forward to playing with the 5DM2 and your future post...
Thanks, I'm glad it help you out  :)

johnny5d

Where can I download an older version on RAW2DNG? I use After Effects CS4...

ted ramasola

Quote from: johnny5d on May 01, 2014, 01:35:05 PM
Where can I download an older version on RAW2DNG? I use After Effects CS4...

did you get it in my attachment?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

johnny5d

Hi,

...no I did not get anything did you send it to my PM?
You may also try my personal mail [email protected]

Much appreciated!

johnny5d

Thank you for sending me the older version of RAW2DNG.exe now the converted DNG files does open in my AF CS4. Only thing there is no option to change it to 16bit in the camera RAW window. Like I do can change when I open de DNG files in Photoshop where I make them and save them as TIFF. So don't know if that is a big problem? Also when using AF directly there you skip a step to make them TIFF first.. don't know if that  harms the quality? Have to say it saves me alot of time though!

After effects is pretty new to me but I learning every day thanks to this great forum with amazing people like you!

At the moment I like to know if I need to change anything in these AF windows "Based on best settings" and "based on lossless"

I only change it to 32bit and to trillion colors quicktime blackmagic 10bit codec. But like you can see there are may other pulldown menu options... What should I change more to get the best quality?

And then I put the file in sony vegas 11.... maybe someone can tell me the best export settings and codec in vegas for youtube/vimeo

Best regards and happy shooting!

Sony vegas 11 settings: first picture is of matchig videosettings of the original exported AF file.

Rendering settings:

But sadly the result video does not look as crisp like others... so maybe someone see what is going wrong in my post workflow?

Thank you!

johnny5d

reddeercity

in your project settings "32bit float Video level" Gamma 2.2 change that to linear (make sure to watch your Scopes)
and uncheck the "Adjust Source Media" , when I worked in Vegas-9 I know that would kill the image quality
some how, and turn off the Automatic AVC encoding option , use multiply h264 passes. play around with your settings.

johnny5d

Hi friends!

I think it goes and looks better now!

tarakarama

Here is my first RAW test video.

jimmyD30

Wow, image quality looks great guys!

Sufiancool

So whats New People ? anything new for 5DMKii ?
5DMKII is not the game changer ,its the game maker !

poromaa

Seems like this thread is "dead", but I have just successfully finished a 3 day shoot using two 64GB Sandisk 160MB/s cards and a 5D2, shooting raw at 1856x942. I ended up with about 520GB of MLV-files. I used the May 5th build as I wanted to test it before using it in production.

In total i got around 10 corrupted takes out of 313. 5 of these where early stop frame drop after just 1 sec (?), and so also easy to discover. One or two might have occured while filming in 3x crop mode. Only two corrupted takes had pink frames (just one pink frame), but these two takes was recorded while using an external HDMI-monitor (Peak 5.6" 1280x800) so that's probably the reason. Also one take got corrupted because card got full.

So far the result looks great (I think) Here are some frames graded in LR just for reference:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/poromaa/sets/72157644740100612/

cheers
Joakim

ted ramasola

Wow. Great looking images there poromaa.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

reddeercity

@poromaa   Very nice indeed !

poromaa

Thanks!
For this test I extracted the frames with the MlRawViewer. Read about some people having issues with strange pattern from the debayering algorithm? Does that apply for MLV from the 5D2 as well? If so, What is the current best method to convert the MLV to DNG/CDNG at the moment?

AntonioPantoja

Quote from: poromaa on May 19, 2014, 11:46:52 PM
Seems like this thread is "dead", but I have just successfully finished a 3 day shoot using two 64GB Sandisk 160MB/s cards and a 5D2, shooting raw at 1856x942. I ended up with about 520GB of MLV-files. I used the May 5th build as I wanted to test it before using it in production.

In total i got around 10 corrupted takes out of 313. 5 of these where early stop frame drop after just 1 sec (?), and so also easy to discover. One or two might have occured while filming in 3x crop mode. Only two corrupted takes had pink frames (just one pink frame), but these two takes was recorded while using an external HDMI-monitor (Peak 5.6" 1280x800) so that's probably the reason. Also one take got corrupted because card got full.

So far the result looks great (I think) Here are some frames graded in LR just for reference:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/poromaa/sets/72157644740100612/

cheers
Joakim

this is some of the most phenomenal footage i've ever seen. seriously. GREAT WORK. i would absolutely love to see your post workflow. my brother, this is AMAZING.

jimmyD30

Here's a short video I shot using MLV raw on my 5DM2 with 17-40mm f4.0L lens.

Question, can anyone tell me what that flickering 'stringy' looking stuff in the lower left quadrant of the frame is? You can really see it at the end of the video after the train passes.

Freight Train using Magic Lantern RAW MLV on Canon 5D Mark II

https://vimeo.com/96067248

Shot this freight train in upstate NY USA in spring of 2014 as [email protected]. Equipment used was Canon 5D Mark II with 17-40mm f4.0L lens and UV filter. Post processing on Mac consisted of using MLVMystic to convert MLV to DNGs, then opened DNG sequence in Adobe Camera Raw where I adjusted exposure and applied lens correction. Followed by importing DNG sequence into Adobe After Effects where I upresed to 1920x818 and exported as animation, then converted to ProRes 4444 using QuickTime.

Of course for Vimeo upload, I converted to H264 @ 10Mbps :-(

poromaa

Are you a blonde?
I think its a hair, stuck on the lens blowing in the wind. :) Do you get it when shooting anything else?

jimmyD30

Quote from: poromaa on May 22, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
Are you a blonde?
I think its a hair, stuck on the lens blowing in the wind. :) Do you get it when shooting anything else?

No, short brown hair :-)

I agree with you that it looks like a hair or thin frazzle of twine or something, but I had a matte box on, so not that it would be impossible, but I thought it unlikely something would be caught on the lens area without me seeing it against the matte box, but I didn't specifically check that area of the camera, just didn't notice anything obvious.

I haven't shot anything else yet, so yeah, some more equipment trouble-shooting to do before any conclusions are drawn, but I had heard about 'banding' on the 5DM3 and don't really know what that actually looks like, so I figured I'd ask.

Ok, just got a serious TORNADO warning for my area, so I'm taking cover right now and will check back soon if I still have a house and computer to login with :-/

poromaa

Luck to you and your home!
take care

jimmyD30

Quote from: poromaa on May 22, 2014, 10:05:49 PM
Luck to you and your home!
take care

Thank you! Tornado hit a few miles south of me a few minutes after I got off-line above, actually near (at?) the place I work, but I ended up leaving early today. Here's a video of the hail storm from my backyard (sorry mods, but I didn't actually shoot this with my 5DM2 :-(

http://youtu.be/PsNLvA3szIU

jimmyD30

Quote from: poromaa on May 22, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
Are you a blonde?

So, yeah, there was something stuck around on the lens apparently, cause when I looked at other footage of around the same time you can see it more clearly in a slightly higher location, looks like a strand of a spider web or something. Glad it's not more serious :-)

johnny5d

still can't get crisp render video with sony vegas 12 pro.

Settings are bluray tamplate .mp4 25mbs.... :(

Can someone help me?

Compared to this video..... What rendering settings should I use to het this crispyness footage!?

Kharak

The Ducati video is filmed on the MK III so it's native 1920x1080 it also seems to have proper Light setups in the the garage which is more important than just camera speccs.

Your video seems not to be even upscaled to HD

Other than that your video seems to have a lot of compression, more than normal youtube compression. But it's hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure Vegas has a template for youtube, which you should use and then tweak for extra quality.

And the grass is always greener on the other side.

once you go raw you never go back