Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elfrabo

Quote from: Veerle on April 04, 2014, 10:32:24 PM
Hi Guys!

I re-edited my Africa video. This time I did the color grading with Davinci Resolve. This is my first video using resolve, personally I think it looks much better! What do you guys think?

I know were off topic here  ;)

Hi Veerle,

You have got some nice footage there. What lenses have you used?

Some points to improve: get some environmental sound into your video and make it shorter: be really hard to yourself when selecting clips  ;D

Great work :D

Cheers, Frank

rainless

You've got some white balancing issues.

Some of the scenes have a highly pronounced yellow tint.

Don't know Resolve at all... but I would select one of the scenes with the zebra, use a white balancing tool... and click on the white of the zebra.  That should get you back to a neutral tint. Then you can work from there.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

silvertonesx24

Quote from: reddeercity on April 04, 2014, 09:46:21 PM
I founded a very stable build from the nightly that I trust for paid work with out question !  Feb16th link below: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/5D2.212/206/artifact/platform/5D2.212/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.5D2212.zip
Changeset: 536fbadfcc312939ba6af7d812c8cf1025ca1050
Its rock solid with HDMI and still has the 1872 option(continuous too) , as I sad I trust this for work, I never try new build for work as there is also issues  & the chance of failure
is too great. I torture test the raw builds for at lest a day, if it can handle being recorded 5 time in a row (full 64GB card) it a keeper. ;)

Ok great I'll have to try this out! I did test the Mar 30th nightly for the shoot, but I didn't with the HDMI monitor we used, and I guess that threw a glitch in that causes the processor to overload on lots of motion and cause the tearing. I left black level on considering that I've had black level problems in the past, but it made all my footage pink (but it's a relatively easy fix, as I said)

reddeercity

The black fix level is for the 5d3 as far as I know, this should be off on the 5d2.
You should not any problems with that build , FYI my setting for that build are as following
Fill buffer rate "1" , GD off when recording on Lexar 1000x, Audio 44.1 and I format my card every
Time before I shot video

HeldvomFeld

that february 16 built doesnt really work for me. Freezes on hdmi. Also the info bars have black background and are blocking the part that is actually recording on the hdmi monitor.

reddeercity

Quote from: HeldvomFeld on April 07, 2014, 04:44:30 PM
that february 16 built doesnt really work for me. Freezes on hdmi. Also the info bars have black background and are blocking the part that is actually recording on the hdmi monitor.
what's your frame resolution , buffer fill rate setting when the HDMI froze up ? CF Card ?
1856x928 is solid with HDMI & 1872x936 is not as solid .
In capturing HDMI with recorder, just kill all overlays with recording there a switch for that.
So please don't say it doesn't work, but explain why it didn't work with setting so the problem
Can be fix if there is a problem. :)

HeldvomFeld

Hi,

frame resolution is maximum in 16:9 on 5d2 since I dont need continous recording but short clips. buffer rate was 4 but I changed it to 1 because that works for you. CF Card is Komputerbay 32gb 1000x. I dont use a recorder, just a hdmi monitor. Well, is has worked before with the same settings on different builts, thats why I said it doesnt work for ME.  Overlays are always killed while recording. The freezing is not the problem. THe problem is that the info bars are blocking part of my screen since they have a black background.

reddeercity

try buffer "0" that's the fastest setting, your really limited to about
68-72 MB/s & 16/9 really is pushing it over it's limited i think that around 80 MB/s
You should no problem at 2:1 but 16/9 will have problem
Thanks for the feed back.

HeldvomFeld

well, I dont have any problems with dropped frames or stopped recording so no need to change anything there.

silvertonesx24

If anyone's interested, here's the commercial I shot with ML Nightly 3/30

ale

Hi everybody!

Last week-end I tested ML raw (nightly 2014april02 2.5d22) with raw_rec module and a 64gb 1000x Komputerbay.
I'm overall very surprised by raw quality, except for some strange red and blu dots that I've founded in a single shot.
I've read something about pink dots and fringe issue, but I'm not sure that this is the same issue. This is the reason why I'm asking your opinion.
This is the original picture (1856x1004, 1/50, f/about 5, ISO 100 (-0,2ML), focus distance: infinite, dng created by rawmagic and opened and saved with camera raw - no editing)

https://db.tt/pAPQIVLq

and here a detail to easily identify colored dots.

Here the same frame graded (chromatic aberration correction in camera raw helped a lot, but not enough)
https://db.tt/0KKglosi

And now a new take, shoot in H264 and cinestyle, graded and sharpened (premiere contrast effect +15). If you look carefully you can see in the same position something like a regular grid, but it is less noticeable cause there are no strange colors; it seems more like a compression artifact.
https://db.tt/ZKttip67

detail:

What do you think about?
thank you very much
Alessandro

delrosestephen

A few months back I used RAW_Rec and shot a project in 2:35.1 and I could enable the recording frame to make sure everything was framed correctly. Now I'm using the Feb16 build with MLV_Rec and I see no option for a recording frame. Am I missing something? Or is recording frame not available in MLV_Rec?

togg

We have shot this short film for a exercise in school, hope you can find something interesting in it :) It was shoot with a 5D Mark II, Magic Lantern raw, 35mm 50mm and 100mm lenses. Editing was done on Final cut pro x, color correction on Davinci Resolve.

https://www.mediafire.com/?22ddaau029jejhm

skualo

Quote from: ale on April 09, 2014, 12:58:42 AM
Hi everybody!

Last week-end I tested ML raw (nightly 2014april02 2.5d22) with raw_rec module and a 64gb 1000x Komputerbay.
I'm overall very surprised by raw quality, except for some strange red and blu dots that I've founded in a single shot.
I've read something about pink dots and fringe issue, but I'm not sure that this is the same issue. This is the reason why I'm asking your opinion.
This is the original picture (1856x1004, 1/50, f/about 5, ISO 100 (-0,2ML), focus distance: infinite, dng created by rawmagic and opened and saved with camera raw - no editing)

https://db.tt/pAPQIVLq

and here a detail to easily identify colored dots.

Here the same frame graded (chromatic aberration correction in camera raw helped a lot, but not enough)
https://db.tt/0KKglosi

And now a new take, shoot in H264 and cinestyle, graded and sharpened (premiere contrast effect +15). If you look carefully you can see in the same position something like a regular grid, but it is less noticeable cause there are no strange colors; it seems more like a compression artifact.
https://db.tt/ZKttip67

detail:

What do you think about?
thank you very much
Alessandro

Hi Ale
I've the same problem, you've solved?

THX

LEVISDAVIS

Guys those red and blue dots are related to the sensor line skipping. It occurs in high-contrast and fine-detail scenarios. You can purchase/install a Mosaic Engineering VAF and it will go away. The dots are a result of information that lies between the recorded pixels/lines.

Yes, ACR does a great job of removing part of the issue. However, the solution is a VAF from Mosaic Engineering. The cons are that you loose image resolution in crop mode and with photos. Additionally, the lenses that are parfocal may loose that ability. The pros are that you will not capture moire and allaising and that you will also capture a sharper color pallet when shooting in full frame. Not many people are aware that the sensor captures better color detail when the moire is eliminated from the recording.
Levi S. Davis

ale

Thank you Davis for your answer.
I supposed it was an issue caused by sensor line skipping, but I was confused because it is so evident in raw mode and not in h264. Whereas in most situations raw shoots are obviously better then h264, here I have some doubts if it is really worth soothing raw.

However I have found an answer in RAWTHERAPY which include some very efficient corrections for color issue and it seems to be able to correct even those kind of dots (much more better than ACR!)

togg

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on April 14, 2014, 09:39:43 AMNot many people are aware that the sensor captures better color detail when the moire is eliminated from the recording.

eeehm... I didn't know  :P

johnny5d

What is the best affordable CF card suitable for raw video on my 5d mkii?

LEVISDAVIS

Most likely the Komputerbay 1066 128GB CF card on Amazon...

Jumped on board with Raw Therapee... Feeling pretty good about the image quality. Might give this app a thumbs up over ACR. Really appreciate the program's capabilities. Thanks for mentioning the program.

Can confirm that the Feb 16th Build is super stable. Recording 128 GB with Max Resolution at 2.20 with Global Draw on and Digic Slightly Sharper with a 1050x Komputerbay.

* I own a Canon 50D. I can swap the autoexec.bin and ML files from 5D II onto 50D / 5D II bootable card and playback .RAW files on 5DII.

* Got to say that the 5D II appears to be the most stable of 50D, 5D III, and 5D II testing. It appears to run super similar to the Alpha model that I used to run on a T2i back in 2011. I typically don't have start up recording errors and if you pick a solution that works once... It will almost always work twice. There is a lot of confidence to be held even with such high-speed card writing. Amazing! Thanks. The 5D III took about 3 - 7 days to really figure out the kinks and quirks and then it was ready to fire away non-stop. With the 5D II I had one tough night dealing with a card that needed to be reformatted with EOS Card for some odd reason... But everything has just worked since and there is no stopping the recordings. The 50D has long since been very reliable and will continue to be that way. I've been following the TL/ML development for the past 8 months and have seen some very solid recordings. Haven't been testing the latest ML and need to. The TL version is getting kind of too buggy even though it offers higher recording resolutions.
Levi S. Davis

ManuR

Quote from: reddeercity on April 07, 2014, 05:21:11 PM
In capturing HDMI with recorder, just kill all overlays with recording there a switch for that.

Hi, I´m using the same build from february you suggested as very solid, I haven´t had any problem with it, it´s working really well, but I still cannot manage to find the way to kill ALL overlays when recording RAW, as when recording starts, a small camera showing buffering and elapsed recording time comes up on the upper right corner. Can you or anyone please help me on this issue explaining how to take off this overlay for recording a 100% clean hdmi output while recording RAW? Of course I know I will not be able to record RAW on HDMI, but my purpose is to capture ProRes on a Ninja2 while recording RAW internally. Many thanks in advance!

reddeercity

There two ways to clear overlays when recording the live view.
In the MLV/Raw video menu where is says "Status when recording"
you have three option:
1)None
2)Icon --> this what you have enabled
3)Debug--> I run this mode
So there pick #1
Or the Main one is under the Display Menu half way down "Clear overlays"
pick "Recording" 
That's it

ManuR

Quote from: reddeercity on April 22, 2014, 04:56:23 AM
There two ways to clear overlays when recording the live view.
In the MLV/Raw video menu where is says "Status when recording"
you have three option:
1)None
2)Icon --> this what you have enabled
3)Debug--> I run this mode
So there pick #1
Or the Main one is under the Display Menu half way down "Clear overlays"
pick "Recording" 
That's it

Got it! Now it works perfectly. What does the debug option that you run enable? Thank you very much!!!!

reddeercity

Quote from: ManuR on April 24, 2014, 05:28:18 PM
Got it! Now it works perfectly. What does the debug option that you run enable? Thank you very much!!!!
Debug give you file information, Data rate, length in minute, idle state, very useful to know how much GB you recorded etc... I can't live with out it , give it a try

jimmyD30

Hello, I recently picked up a 5DM2 (upgrade from 650D with ML) and have Feb 16 2014 build installed as per @reddeercity... my question is how to get 3x crop mode working. I saw this post http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0 but it focuses on the 5DM3 and seems like a kind of convoluted procedure, has the process to engage 3x crop mode been streamlined or is it just different for the 5DM2 from what's posted for the 5DM3 or is it not available for the Feb 16 build or am I doing something wrong when I'm trying to follow the posted procedure?

Thank you!

reddeercity

Quote from: jimmyD30 on April 26, 2014, 04:32:12 AM
Hello, I recently picked up a 5DM2 (upgrade from 650D with ML) and have Feb 16 2014 build installed as per @reddeercity... my question is how to get 3x crop mode working. I saw this post http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0 but it focuses on the 5DM3 and seems like a kind of convoluted procedure, has the process to engage 3x crop mode been streamlined or is it just different for the 5DM2 from what's posted for the 5DM3 or is it not available for the Feb 16 build or am I doing something wrong when I'm trying to follow the posted procedure?

Thank you!
Hello, no 5D Mark 2 is far easier it's kind of funny I'm just Compressing a Crop Mode Video Tutorial for the 5D Mark 2, should have up in in the next 2 or 3 hours.
but in the mean time, Just press the zoom button once then go to the ML menu in the MLV/Raw Menu select your crop size frame up to 2144x1076 1.90:1
The Max I can capture continuous at 23.976p is 2048x872 with audio 44.1, 2048x1024 about 300 to 400 frames.

Edit: Here the link to the 3x Crop mode tutorial---> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg112969#msg112969