Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny5d

Yes ,.. stupid me! I also need to turn off auto turn off!..

Next to that! I have read the whole forum but can't find a good straight forward workflow for raw. (for me as a sony vegas user! :( )

What i do is:

5D RAW to RAW2DNG.exe

DNG files in photoshop raw and save all files to .TIF

Then open in quicktime and save them to a movie in H.264.... (can't find any other good codec in the list!)

then in sony vegas

Also don't know good rendering settings in sony vegas!

Can someone give me some good advice on this?

zastavets

I want to buy a card Transcend CompactFlash 64GB 1000x (TS64GCF1000)
Can anyone tell me if I can add to it ?

5D Mark 2 Raw Video
25fps 1856x1044p 16:9

Thank you for your reply!

ted ramasola

Quote from: zastavets on March 28, 2014, 06:58:50 PM
5D Mark 2 Raw Video
25fps 1856x1044p 16:9

Thank you for your reply!

I have not tested the transcend but here is a chart showing what the mkII can do at 25P.
Tested with Komputerbay and lexar both 1000X.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31.0-8/1960971_457810154349774_834951388_o.jpg
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

elfrabo

I'm new to using MLV. When using mlrawviewer the video looks very bad: colors are all washed out and sort of pinkish.

I'm currently using magiclantern-Nightly.2014Mar29.5D2212

baldand:
QuoteThe black level is wrong due to a bug in the version of mlv_rec you used, so those files would need to be manually fixed to be displayed or converted correctly.

You need to upgrade to a newer ML with correct black levels.

As I understand it, the bug was in Magic Lantern - not MlRawViewer. Sorry, but I don't know any of the details about the fix
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg109539#msg109539

Should I use another build?

ted ramasola

Quote from: elfrabo on March 30, 2014, 04:08:06 PM
I'm new to using MLV. When using mlrawviewer the video looks very bad: colors are all washed out and sort of pinkish.

Don't judge the footage from the viewer, extract the dngs first and confirm them via after effects or resolve, or even open a frame in photoshop if thats actually the case.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

rainless

Quote from: johnny5d on March 25, 2014, 03:52:47 PM
Yes ,.. stupid me! I also need to turn off auto turn off!..

Next to that! I have read the whole forum but can't find a good straight forward workflow for raw. (for me as a sony vegas user! :( )

What i do is:

5D RAW to RAW2DNG.exe

DNG files in photoshop raw and save all files to .TIF

Then open in quicktime and save them to a movie in H.264.... (can't find any other good codec in the list!)

then in sony vegas

Also don't know good rendering settings in sony vegas!

Can someone give me some good advice on this?

Why don't you just use RAWanizer? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

It automatically converts the DNGs into Tiffs.

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

elfrabo

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 30, 2014, 04:57:31 PM
Don't judge the footage from the viewer, extract the dngs first and confirm them via after effects or resolve, or even open a frame in photoshop if thats actually the case.

Unfortunately the video quality is still looking bad after exporting  :( . Some examples (password is MLV):

http://frankboekamp.smugmug.com/MLV/

I need a lot of time to correct these images using ARC or Premiere Pro

mageye

@ elfrabo

Try this:

On Magic Lantern's Movie menu goto RAW (MLV) then go to the sub settings and find Fix black level turn it OFF

Then film something and see if you have the problem.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Kenji

There are horrible green lines at 0:11-0:13.
I dont know whether these are from the camera itself or DaVinci Resolve....

I didnt use a VAF-5d2 filter, so i guess these are the typical anti aliasing - moire'ish problems?

-->

mageye

Resolve is known to have such problems with footage from ML. Something to do with the debayer it uses. At the moment ACR 'gets on' with the footage much better. (IMHO)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

elfrabo

Quote from: mageye on March 30, 2014, 08:48:47 PM
@ elfrabo

Try this:

On Magic Lantern's Movie menu goto RAW (MLV) then go to the sub settings and find Fix black level turn it OFF

Then film something and see if you have the problem.

Great: this works!

Thanks mageye   :D

mageye

SS

So yeah,
I just lost a day worth of footage because of this pink frame bs.
Whoever decided an unknown new feature called "fix black level" should be turned on as default... Thanks. I will be checking the menus every time from now on.
http://postimg.org/image/nb4b2odhv/

Audionut

Ouch.  Using experimental software in a production environment, without first checking, and, double checking the output, probably wasn't the smartest idea.

Fortunately, you can use exiftool to recover the footage.

SS

That is really helpful...
Colors looked ok in the camera screen and I have an older version of ML in another card in case the nightly doesnt work, or it does something weird. This was something I did not predict as nothing looked weird at the time. Thanks for the vague answer, but I'm off to reshoot.

PressureFM

He was simply implying that you made a test shoot before doing the real shoot.

As in, on location, do a quick test and see if everything checks out and then proceed to do the actual shooting.

You should always have a workflow like that, even with "normal" equipment.

Audionut

Sorry, I misplaced the silver platter earlier.

I found it.
You will need to change the black level to 1024, or around 1700.

As expected, this issue has been posted all over the forums, and a quick search for the codeword I left in my last post, found the silver platter linked above.

Feel free to keep ranting about software that is provided to you for free though.

silvertonesx24

Quote from: SS on March 31, 2014, 11:55:17 PM
So yeah,
I just lost a day worth of footage because of this pink frame bs.
Whoever decided an unknown new feature called "fix black level" should be turned on as default... Thanks. I will be checking the menus every time from now on.
http://postimg.org/image/nb4b2odhv/

I just shot a commercial on the Mar 30 nightly build. Stupid idea, and never again. I keep trying and trying MLV builds, and I keep having problems. OCT26th A.D. build for 5D is rock solid, but the HDMI crash bug on that one drives my camera op nuts.

All my footage came out pink as well. Use exiftool to fix the dngs with this command: Exiftool –BlackLevel=1791. No need to re-shoot.

Second, every shot that had any kind of motion has atrocious tearing of the image. This occurs when the HDMI monitor is plugged in. Fortunately, due to the aesthetic of the commercial, I can use Twitch to cover up the tearing, so our huge dolly rig wasn't completely to waste. One or two shots cannot be used this way and are ruined.

reddeercity

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on April 04, 2014, 07:00:05 PM
I just shot a commercial on the Mar 30 nightly build. Stupid idea, and never again. I keep trying and trying MLV builds, and I keep having problems. OCT26th A.D. build for 5D is rock solid, but the HDMI crash bug on that one drives my camera op nuts.

All my footage came out pink as well. Use exiftool to fix the dngs with this command: Exiftool –BlackLevel=1791. No need to re-shoot.

Second, every shot that had any kind of motion has atrocious tearing of the image. This occurs when the HDMI monitor is plugged in. Fortunately, due to the aesthetic of the commercial, I can use Twitch to cover up the tearing, so our huge dolly rig wasn't completely to waste. One or two shots cannot be used this way and are ruined.
I founded a very stable build from the nightly that I trust for paid work with out question !  Feb16th link below: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/5D2.212/206/artifact/platform/5D2.212/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.5D2212.zip
Changeset: 536fbadfcc312939ba6af7d812c8cf1025ca1050
Its rock solid with HDMI and still has the 1872 option(continuous too) , as I sad I trust this for work, I never try new build for work as there is also issues  & the chance of failure
is too great. I torture test the raw builds for at lest a day, if it can handle being recorded 5 time in a row (full 64GB card) it a keeper. ;)

a1ex

Quote from: reddeercity on April 04, 2014, 09:46:21 PM
I never try new build for work as there is also issues

What issues?

reddeercity

Mainly HDMI EVF/hard drive recorders with large frame sizes plus audio.
I'm not saying the latest builds are unstable not at all. In fact you don't hear of any big problems period  it the most Stable Camera at the moment . :)
It work ! and that's Great.
I need & want the largest frame size I can record closest to HD with audio and that would be 1872x936 2:1 as I need a quick turn around
without have to do to much work in resizing. So 2:1 work just right for me as I just leave the little black bar on the top bottom
as I do a mainly news stories. There for I need HDMI to be rock solid as I depend on it as for Backup to recorder & EVF.
You don't Get a Second chance at a news story, so I error on the side of caution   :D   

djzigoh

I'm a passive reader of this forums....   And I hate when people comes saying that ML had ruin their shot or something like that... It's experimental software (that works) provided for free, documented and with a forum filled with users experienced, workarounds, etc... What do this people expect???
As another user had posted beafore, it's unthinkable to go to the field without testing everything first.
Sorry.. I ve needed to say this.

Audionut

@ Veerle

Please share your videos here.

a1ex

@reddeercity: got it, I thought you have found some nasty bugs in the latest builds. I didn't run it on HDMI for a while, so maybe it's time to check it again.