Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redrocks

Quote from: Veerle on July 17, 2013, 08:30:44 PM
Here's a raw video I filmed with my Canon 5D Mark II:

I filmed this two weeks ago while I was on a holiday in Kenya. This was my first time filming raw, read about it 2 days before I left.
My first time really working with Magic lantern as well.

- I feel like youtube isn't doing the video justice, most parts are so much better quality on my computer...

One of the best I've seen so far, would love to see different grades of this.

aaphotog

Quote from: Veerle on July 12, 2013, 09:11:43 PM
Hi guys,

What kind of workflow are you using in post?
I'm on a iMac and use Rawmagic and after effects. But i'm curious about what else is out there.
Ive been trying to work with DaVinci Resolve but it just isn't what I'm looking for (as far as my knowledge of the software goes)...
When working with DaVinci I immediately start to miss all the options Camera Raw...

Is someone familiar with with both software who can convince me other wise? Because I read a lot of good things about DaVinci Resolve so I'm a bit confused right now...

And what workflow do you guys use?

Iwhat imac do you have? I have what I believe to be a mid 2011 21.5" iMac and resolve says my video card is not compatible. When bringing in footage all I see is colored static

Veerle

Veerle

Veerle

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Veerle on July 19, 2013, 01:58:39 PM
Thank you so much! I will certainly try that out some time!

This is an example of some footage taken in 4K with the "original" quality

Veerle

coutts

Quote from: Veerle on July 17, 2013, 08:30:44 PM
Here's a raw video I filmed with my Canon 5D Mark II:

I filmed this two weeks ago while I was on a holiday in Kenya. This was my first time filming raw, read about it 2 days before I left.
My first time really working with Magic lantern as well.

- I feel like youtube isn't doing the video justice, most parts are so much better quality on my computer...
would love to see a download link for this.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Veerle on July 19, 2013, 08:21:07 PM
I uploaded my film a bit upscaled and it did give me the ''original'' option, but it didn't change anything quality wise unfortunately.

Really?! Hmmmm... For me I did two exports of a video I made. One was sub 1080p, the other was exported to 1080p and the footage was not upscaled. The sub 1080p upload gave me the option to choose 720p and the 1080p exported video let me choose 1080p. The upload with the 1080p option allowed for the video to look almost the same as the original file. The sub 1080p upload at the 720p setting did not at all. Soft as butter.

Maybe you shouldn't upscale as I told you to with instant HD and just export as a resolution higher than 1080 to give you the original setting. This will give black borders all around the footage, but when in full screen mode in youtube or windows media player it takes up the full screen...

So yeah try not upscaling and exporting the project as a higher than 1080p clip. Again I would recommend 2560 x 1440... If it doesn't my bad.

togg

I've finally tried to do my first color correction with Resolve. Just to make the video look "right". I know that is just the first step but since I didn't even know how to use the waveform... :)

/second try. noise reduction+sharpening+little color correction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHt4IZUOWS0&feature=youtu.be

Lukasz

I made clip for my friends containing only RAW footage thanks to a.d.build2013/07/19 5bad65ff8cb8. Still hoping for someone to help me with my only 60MB/s with 64gb 1000x Lexar card write speed and frequent crashes with anything like monitor or okii controller connected to the camera. Also have 6 corrupted clips out of 67 which can not be fixed (adding footer like advised on the forum make the conversion to dng possible but it is just pinkish mush) ALL were created while okii controller was plugged in camera on it's own recording bugs free.

Veerle

landsleaving

I made a short documentary and used raw for a small part of it, one sequence of shots - not any interviews - wonder if people can easily spot the raw shots - I can, and think they look a bit better, but I worked on them, so that's not a great test!

Here's the answer:
[spoiler]It's the sequence where a few people are on a couch with beer playing N64.[/spoiler]

Redrocks

Quote from: Veerle on July 30, 2013, 11:37:31 PM
What kind of grades?

Your video has a commercial feel, more bright than colourful and you could describe it as 'uplifting'. I suppose switching that around and it being more colourful than bright could be a place to start. This is in no way a criticism. 

Veerle

Scipione205

I'm not sure about the capabilities of MKII... I will shoot a short film this month, and I really want to shoot RAW but nobody in my city (who I know, in Brindisi Italy) has got the MKIII; I can find only MKII.

Is it possible to shoot continuous 1920 x 800 @23.976 fps ? I read on the main topic about 1880x840 at 24 fps so I thought that [email protected] will be possible.

Anyone tried ?

kidkaelen

Hey guys ive been searching all night and just made an account so I could post this. I just came back from a skatepark with amazing lighting, I shot all raw video on my mark ii at 1280x720 (16:9) ratio 24 fps... For some reason when I edit it in photoshop, save as tiff, then open in quicktime as sequence it looks extremely grainy.. I forgot to mention but I was shooting at iso 160 - 320 at times with a 1/50 shutter speed to 1/80. The standard video looked 100x better on my mac then this raw.. I know im doing something wrong but i just dont know what.. any suggestions? also incase you were wondering I was shooting with a 24-105L if that helps

Mati

pointbob1

Hey all.....i have a 60 m/bs sandisk extreme cf card suitable to record raw video on a 5d II?

I'm a newb to ML and just figured out how to load modules. I'm recording in 1880x840 (no other modes in the build I got (8cf76a551872) speed 1/60 aperture 4....any tips...is the card ok speedwise?

thanks

Midphase

pointbob1

Quote from: Midphase on September 01, 2013, 09:35:17 AM
If it works, it works!

actually it works for 4 secs and stops.

can someone go over some basics on how to make it run - i've hacked gh2/gh1 so i'm acquainted with this stuff...but the 5d2 hack for raw is far from intuitive...do you have to turn off all ML stuff? can you record thru the evf and not the back lcd? thanks

reddeercity

Quote from: pointbob1 on September 01, 2013, 07:40:00 PM
actually it works for 4 secs and stops.

can someone go over some basics on how to make it run - i've hacked gh2/gh1 so i'm acquainted with this stuff...but the 5d2 hack for raw is far from intuitive...do you have to turn off all ML stuff? can you record thru the evf and not the back lcd? thanks
We all have to do a lot a reading to make this Work, so please read the  Beginners Guide Before
you post questions on how to use RAW Recording module, But after that if you still have problems
Then Ask away  :)
"RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST "
Link below
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0
:)

pointbob1

Quote from: reddeercity on September 02, 2013, 01:20:11 AM
We all have to do a lot a reading to make this Work, so please read the  Beginners Guide Before
you post questions on how to use RAW Recording module, But after that if you still have problems
Then Ask away  :)
"RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST "
Link below
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0
:)

Hey thanks! I looked at it but my 2 questions are unanswered..

do you have to turn off all ML stuff?

can you record thru the evf without the back lcd turned on? thanks

reddeercity

Quote from: pointbob1 on September 02, 2013, 05:19:00 AM
Hey thanks! I looked at it but my 2 questions are unanswered..

do you have to turn off all ML stuff?

can you record thru the evf without the back lcd turned on? thanks

"do you have to turn off all ML stuff?"

No, when the raw module is activated it over Ride the H264 recording.
But you use all of the image setting like, magic lantern ISO, etc....

"can you record thru the evf without the back lcd turned on? thanks"

I'm not sure what you are asking here, but i think you what to turn on the
LCD on the back of camera & monitor/Frame with the EVF ?

If So, Yes you can use a EVF off the hdmi port and you can turn on
the lcd in the option for Live View, but i have not done this from my self
I hope i answered your questions. :)

pointbob1

Quote from: reddeercity on September 02, 2013, 06:25:05 AM
"do you have to turn off all ML stuff?"

No, when the raw module is activated it over Ride the H264 recording.
But you use all of the image setting like, magic lantern ISO, etc....

"can you record thru the evf without the back lcd turned on? thanks"

I'm not sure what you are asking here, but i think you what to turn on the
LCD on the back of camera & monitor/Frame with the EVF ?

If So, Yes you can use a EVF off the hdmi port and you can turn on
the lcd in the option for Live View, but i have not done this from my self
I hope i answered your questions. :)

Thanks. Looks like my prob may be the card - i did a bench mark on the sandisk extreme and it writes at about 20 mbs (rated for 60 mbs)...looks too slow for raw :(

ps,,,no I want to turn off the lcd entirely and record thru evf like i do with a mirrorless camera...not poss with 5d it appears.