Is it possible to have RAW video recording abilities on 550D?

Started by prabhath.mp, May 14, 2013, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecek2

I believe that Alex has 550D.
So, I think he will work on it when he have time.
EOS 550D 18-55mm IS - 50mm F/1.8

a1ex

Yes, I still have the 550D. But right now, the 5D3 and 5D2 have the biggest potential for raw video, so I'll focus on these for now. I've posted a porting guide for DNG silent pics here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5240.msg32128#msg32128

For old cameras, there is some hope with MJPEG. See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2803.0 for some research in this direction.

Sample still frame (5D2, 1:1 crop):

Sample video: crop.avi
H.264 video (same lens, settings, subject distance): noncrop.mov

Problem: these jpegs are quite small and we can't change the resolution. But they seem to be 422 (from pixel peeping).

These JPEGs are even available in the ancient 40D (1024 x 680). I know they are in 5D2, 7D, 550D, maybe 60D. I wasn't able to enable them in 5D3.

glubber

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on May 15, 2013, 01:59:15 PM
I was going to buy a 95MB/s card to see what 550D could spit out. But on your benchmark of a 45MB/s card it couldn't even reach half that. In fact, I  got near same results on a class 6 card

Yesterday i run a benchmark test with a Transcend Premium (16GB-20MB/s), Transcend Ultimate (16GB-90MB/s) and a noname Card (8GB) on my 550D.
All 3 Cards had a writing benchmark around 15 - 21 MB/s, regardless of Globaldraw on/off etc..

Either the 550D is the limiting factor or i'm just too stupid to handle my SD-Cards  :P
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

-sandro-

I own the 550D and if the SD controller is the bottleneck I don't see the point of even trying to get RAW video...it's better they concentrate on more capable cameras (maybe the newer 650D) sell and upgrade to those.

Nice job! :)

Alex does it make a difference having newer digic processors for RAW video?

1%

In all honesty, 650D I think has less memory. 550D as worth it as anything else depending on how much memory is available. Someone with 550D had to do the legwork which it seems like they are starting to.

-sandro-

I see...well I meant to develop something for APS-C sensors since not everyone is interested in spending many $ks for full frame. Is here a new  APC-S camera with CF card support?

BTW do we have access to HDMI yet via ML? Maybe transfer the RAW video through it...imagine what it would happen :D A revolution :D

dlrpgmsvc

Just some think-tanks ...

5D3 is most promising for raw video... sure... but what's the point to squeeze out raw 1080p video (with so much efforts and sacrifices) from a camera that costs the same like a blackmagic, where blackmagic has a hassle-free (no single images to process one-by-one) 4K raw ? How many people will buy a 5D3 instead of a bcc for exclusive video purposes ?

5D3 is most promising for raw video... sure... but what's the point into pushing all the forces exclusively on this direction, when you can clearly see the results of the poll "what camera you have?" here in this forum, but neverthless it is continuously said "550d is too old...", "550d is not worth the efforts..." ... and so on ?

Sure, 5D3 is the main benchwork to concentrate on, in order then to port to the rest of the models. That's the right way.
Sure, 5D3 has a larger sensor so more light sensitivity than a bcc (not so much more, however). But as an advice: don't understimate the impact of even a SD resolution raw video achievement on the "poor" 550d !  ;)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

prabhath.mp

Hi Alex & fellow ML users/developers,

Thank you for all your inputs/suggestions here.

I honestly thank you all for your efforts in bringing out the hidden features from Canon Cameras to make best use of them.

I believe 550D could somehow be a good competitor to the BlackMagic pocket video camera (just hoping, not very certain).

Could you please let me know which card would be optimum to achieve RAW video recording (when it is made possible on 550D)?

I have a 16GB 30MB/s class 10 card. Please advice if I have to buy a better card for this (please provide specifics) :)

Also, is there a different version of ML for recording RAW videos (silent picture). If the firmware (RAW video on 550D) is already existing, how many FPS could be achieved as of now?

I am not very familiar with this and I appreciate your help in this regard.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

nanomad

With cameras older than the 650D that do not have a CF slot all you can hope for is RAW video at SD resolution. I would buy a class 10 card but the one you have should be ok too (the controller on the 550D maxes out at around 20MB/s)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Cheap C10 card is a bad idea... even tho its only 20MB/s the cards aren't going to keep it up. From doing BR on 600D you want something UHS that works really well at the lower mhz.

You can also burst for 100 or whatever frames at the higher resolutions... this may be enough for some people.. and shoot maxed up H264 for the rest.

Also for these slow ass cameras we should make a cropping YUV recorder. At least it would be 4:2:2

prabhath.mp

Quote from: nanomad on May 17, 2013, 02:47:10 PM
With cameras older than the 650D that do not have a CF slot all you can hope for is RAW video at SD resolution. I would buy a class 10 card but the one you have should be ok too (the controller on the 550D maxes out at around 20MB/s)

Still, the quality of SD RAW video would be far more better as it would give us more dynamic range :)

Just a thought:-

• It would help beginners to experience and learn dynamic range (I'm not sure how much range we get on SD card whether 14 or 12 or less) which is essential for anyone interested in understanding colours.

In most scenarios we will not have control over the recorded video (or if we did have it would be very minimum)

Any suggestions on this would be helpful :)
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

ashtrai

Even though it might seem futile to developers, 960x500 raw 14bit video would be better than the 1080p h264 default video we get from Canon. My guess is that the raw video upscaled 1.33x to 720p or 2x to 1080p would hold up pretty well, and the extra color information would make the images a lot more clean and pleasing than the h264 counterpart.

internetjoke

bebellm

Hi,

I've got a 550D and i'm wondering, it's not possible to change the sd reader/writer inside with something faster ? Or it's the chipset which is slow ?

I know talking about hardware is quite different from software, but if it was possible to buy a SD reader/writer faster for "old" Canon, that would be great, Magic Lantern could sell it and make a little money to support their work.

Thanks.

Mikaƫl

dlrpgmsvc

Ok, let's go to this new thread dedicated to 550d porting of raw video ! Many thanks to all that would contribute !  ;)
--> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.new#new
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

prabhath.mp

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 22, 2013, 01:54:08 PM
Ok, let's go to this new thread dedicated to 550d porting of raw video ! Many thanks to all that would contribute !  ;)
--> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.new#new

Hi All,

I did not get an answer to my query in the quoted forum. Could anyone please reply to that?

I am still in the process of learning and your advice is very much appreciated.

This query might have been already answered however could anyone please let me know how safe is the new update (for recording RAW on 550D) http://www.mediafire.com/download/37ag5vd6z7mm4vj/ML_Raw_fps_ETTR.rar - Has there been any update after this?

Can I use this on a 16GB Sandisk 30MB/s Class 10 card to record RAW?

Also, has anyone tried to copy these files from an Ubuntu operating system (13.04)? (I previously had Windows XP when I had copied version 2.3 to the SD card). Is the procedure still the same or would there be any compilation errors if I copy from any other operating system except Windows?

If I just format the SD card on camera and then copy paste the ML folder and Autoexe.bin file does it work as it should?

Sorry for asking too many questions but I am eager to know :)

Thanks for answering!

Cheers..