SD card formatting cluster/block size (exfat)

Started by Andy600, May 14, 2013, 06:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Does the cluster/block size matter when formatting SD cards?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

I read it doesn't do anything. Nothing would let me format for the higher stuff anyway.

Andy600

I can do it in Win7. It's worth a test if nothing else though I have a feeling it might be more to do with fast indexing/reading than writing speeds.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Yea, I read it was about read speeds so I gave up.

Andy600

I need to do a low level format on my old card anyway. It doesn't get through the benchmark tests without crashing the camera. I'll post my findings if bigger blocks do anything noticeable with performance (basically I'm just wasting some time until my new card gets here lol)

Andy600

I'm not sure if it's because of the low level format or that I formatted with larger cluster size but I'm getting slightly longer shots without frame skipping. It's not that significant TBH and with RAW recording, I'm still getting lots of frames where the the crop area seems to jump to a different part of the sensor (usually the right side) and lots of corrupt frames at all resolutions. No useable footage yet. I'll wait to see if the new card helps.

1%

How fast are you writing? I'm getting like 18 or 19MB/s Lowest I think 16

Andy600

I'm only getting around 10MB/s max and it's only the lowest size settings that produce continuous shots. It points firmly to the card being crap so no point looking into the data corruption until I can be sure that's what is causing it. Hopefully tomorrow :)

I did get the 'recording ended automagically' message though :D whatever that means

1%

Means it thought the file was over 4gb... weird.

Andy600

1%

It happened to me a few times right at allocation too... also on 6D i'm getting "improper shutdown" garbage when autoloading modules.. like it only works the first time.. I think on 600D that part is working

Andy600

Yes, I'm getting improper shutdown errors and modules not auto-loading etc.

Also, I just noticed the white crop box that shows when shooting RAW is wrong when set to 720x480. It's taller than it is wide.

Is it right that at some RAW settings you have to stretch the image in post i.e. 1280x540 needs to scale to 1280x720 to look correct? I presume that's something to do with line skipping?