RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris bouk

hey guys....
good evening from Greece..
I tried to film my first video RAW with my 7D...
the file has a name : M15-2125.MLV and it is about 400MB....only for 15 secs.....I think so...
I did drag and drop the file to raw2dng.exe but I have no results....can someone explain the procedure...for example where the file will go...etc...etc...because I am new to this procedure and I don;t know what to do....
after droping the file to raw2dng.exe what should I do for the next steps...
something clear?

thank's in advance for your time!
Chris

chris bouk

....fixed...
captured RAW video and now I'm converting the files from dng to psd to open with AE like a multiple files....will see...
any suggestion for the next step to finish the video is very acceptable! Do we have to do all this long job for a short video in RAW?
Working 10000 frames in Ps and then in AE and then APremiere for a 30 seconds video? Is there a shorter way?
best regards
Chris

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

chris bouk

...I have more than 4 hours reading posts about post processing a RAW video file, but I am more confused than before...I tried everything,,but I think I will stay in my Adobe solutions fron Ps, Premiere Pro and After Effects....but my problem is that I haven;t use After Effects in the past and I don't know the way to create a sequence from the frames (psd files from the movie) and send them to Premiere...Could you please give me some details, some instructions?

thnk you for ypur time

Best regards

Chris

RenatoPhoto

Sorry I dont use Aftereffects.  I only use ACR to generate tiffs and import them to Vegas.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

random

Hey Chris,
My workflow is:

1) Extracting .DNG files from RAW file with raw2dng -> CLICK
2) Import the first .DNG into Adobe After Effects (16bit/32bit project) and mark "Image Sequence", make certain color corrections in ACR
3) Export to 16bit .DPX files (very large) that you can find as "C1neon Sequence"
4) Import into Adobe Premiere Pro CC again marking "Image Sequence", upscaling and editing, color grading in SpeedGrade via directlink or directly in Premiere
5) Export either to h264 or into Avid DNxHD 10bit/175 and transcoding into h264 via MPEG STREAMCLIP -> CLICK

In step 3 you can also export into losless AVI or any other format you want to work with.

Quote from: Malex on September 26, 2013, 11:37:42 AM
Hi guys, I guess many of you heard about the new features for Adobe CC coming out next month, I am pretty excited about few of the new features!
Basically if you are an Adobe user, here is the new workflow we will be using :

- create DNG files like usual (rawmagic, rawanizer or raw2dng or mlv2dng)
- import those DNG into Premiere
- create your proxy from the dng and start editing
- clic the send to Speedgrade button to start grading your footage,
- send back to Premiere
- switch your sequence to DNG files and render out!

Are you successfull importing the DNGs into Premiere? Used raw2dng it says "this file doesn't include media data".
Do you work with raw2cdng (that's extracting real cinema DNGs)?

Does anybody know where to get raw2cdng apart from the link given in the ML wiki? The page is blocked by my anti-virus.
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

chmee

@random what kind of problem does your antivirus show up?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Malex

Quote from: random on November 16, 2013, 03:22:14 AM
Are you successfull importing the DNGs into Premiere? Used raw2dng it says "this file doesn't include media data".

Does anybody know where to get raw2cdng apart from the link given in the ML wiki? The page is blocked by my anti-virus.

No not succesful, pink cast, so I converted also DNG to DPX, and it plays nice in Premiere (but not so good in Speedgrade). I encountered one issue with DPX in speedgrade, I don't know how to repeat the bug, but sometimes I do stuff in Speedgrade and then the pink cast comes back and stays there, I have to quit without saving and reopen the project so it opens fine again, weird heh!

I tried raw2cdng 1.4  (which I downloaded here : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.325  from chmee post) but without success, it make the footage dark, but no more pink cast. But other people got better result it seams.

chris bouk

Hey Chris,
My workflow is:

2) Import the first .DNG into Adobe After Effects (16bit/32bit project) and mark "Image Sequence", make certain color corrections in ACR
3) Export to 16bit .DPX files (very large) that you can find as "C1neon Sequence"
4) Import into Adobe Premiere Pro CC again marking "Image Sequence", upscaling and editing, color grading in SpeedGrade via directlink or directly in Premiere
5) Export either to h264 or into Avid DNxHD 10bit/175 and transcoding into h264 via MPEG STREAMCLIP -> CLICK

In step 3 you can also export into losless AVI or any other format you want to work with.

thank you for your help!
I didnt saw the sequence option and I had so many files in my timeline....!!!!
I did export in Avi mode, because it was my first video sample in RAW, during night, high ISOs and not good quality, but I wanted to figured out what the **** is this RAW capability of our cameras....and.....yes man.....is amazing!!!
soon, I will film a new short video and upload to share the results!
thank you man!

random

Quote from: chmee on November 16, 2013, 12:15:39 PM
@random what kind of problem does your antivirus show up?

Screenshot
Translation: "BitDefener has blocked this page. This page is blocked by BitDefender cloud security")

Usually it shows up when it finds automatic installing malware, or if the page is on a black list. Not saying this is the case, anti-virus also can be wrong, but I have all my movie footage on this computer and the backup is 10.000km away (yeah, I know...), so I'm really careful. It also found a trojana in current raw2dng's (forgot the virus number) so I always used RAWanizer 0.5.0, due to the lack of answers here on my question why it shows up virus (months ago).

Maybe somebody could upload the raw2cdng 1.3 & 1.4 in dropbox or something? Would be great!

No not succesful, pink cast, so I converted also DNG to DPX, and it plays nice in Premiere (but not so good in Speedgrade). I encountered one issue with DPX in speedgrade, I don't know how to repeat the bug, but sometimes I do stuff in Speedgrade and then the pink cast comes back and stays there, I have to quit without saving and reopen the project so it opens fine again, weird heh!

I tried raw2cdng 1.4  (which I downloaded here : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.325  from chmee post) but without success, it make the footage dark, but no more pink cast. But other people got better result it seams.

Once I got raw2cdng I'm gonna try out if I get the same results. Damn, would have been awesome to directly import into Premiere.

@Chris
You're welcome! Show us your results when it's done! (For highest quality, try to export into 16bit DPX or TIFF instead of losless AVI but don't forget to put the AFX project to 16bit/32bit, too)
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

reddeercity

Ramdom, Here a link to a video tutorial i posted about 2 week ago for a Cdng workflow
with Adobe , AE & premiere pro.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8177.msg86395#msg86395
I was using raw2cdng version 1.30

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: random on November 17, 2013, 03:09:08 AM
Screenshot
Translation: "BitDefener has blocked this page. This page is blocked by BitDefender cloud security")

Usually it shows up when it finds automatic installing malware, or if the page is on a black list. Not saying this is the case, anti-virus also can be wrong, but I have all my movie footage on this computer and the backup is 10.000km away (yeah, I know...), so I'm really careful. It also found a trojana in current raw2dng's (forgot the virus number) so I always used RAWanizer 0.5.0, due to the lack of answers here on my question why it shows up virus (months ago).

Never heard of such a thing.  You should create a new thread about this so it is not buried deep in this area for other to comment.

random

Quote from: reddeercity on November 17, 2013, 04:35:42 AM
Ramdom, Here a link to a video tutorial i posted about 2 week ago for a Cdng workflow
with Adobe , AE & premiere pro.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8177.msg86395#msg86395
I was using raw2cdng version 1.30

Thanks for the video, I'm gonna check this out. So there's no one here having success with directly importing cdngs into premiere?
what a shame. anyways, do you think you could upload raw2cdng for me in dropbox or anything?

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on November 17, 2013, 01:18:50 PM
Never heard of such a thing.  You should create a new thread about this so it is not buried deep in this area for other to comment.

Yes I'm gonna do that. I researched a little and found a forum that was on BitDefenders blacklist because they had some infected scripts in their code, obviously without knowing about them. Since they deleted those, BitDefender took them from the list and everything worked out fine again.

chmee

honestly saying i'm tracking visits on my site via piwik - just to see downloads and click-actions. did a sitecheck fi here ->
http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

so, the directlink to the app is

http://dl.phreekz.de/raw2cdng/raw2cdng.1.3.0.zip
or experimental beta 1.4.0
http://dl.phreekz.de/raw2cdng/raw2cdng.1.4.0.beta.zip
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

random

The tracking shouldn't be an issue, anyways I have a scriptblocker and cookies disabled, furthermore so many pages try tracking but aren't blocked.
The site check looks good. Don't know why BitDefender is confused. Anyway, I'd prefer to "trust" it due to my backups being on another continent right now.

The problem is, when I try to download it from the direct link, no matters if I open it in browser or right click on the URL, Bit Defender blocks the download so I only get a broken archive. That's why I asked for a dropbox upload to get it without going via your homepage. 

chris bouk

Hey Chris,
My workflow is:

....so...
I did, 2 different methods...
first I have to say, working with AE CS6 is easier, because the software recognises the .dng files and no processing in PS before...
I did 2 different videos, the one exporting to AVI Lossless via AE CS6 with some 700MB of output video and the second saving in DPX format and then opening the files as a sequence in AP CS6 and exporting the media as H264 16bit always with a final file of 7MB and a video quite at the same quality! I watched the results only in my laptop's screen and not to my desktop big screen to see the differences of the quality, in the small screen seems quite the same...but the video with the double procedure (AE and AP) has twice the time to be done but you have smaller, (huge difference) file sizes and videos that can be played very easy from any media player! 7MB vs 700MB....huge difference...
tomorrow I will upload some examples...
thank's for your advices!
Chris

random

Losless AVI is only supposed to connect AFX and Premiere, just like the DPX, that's why it's uncompressed. It should never be a final format.
Personally I prefer the DPX, or saving as a Premiere file like in reddeercity's video, I didn't try yet though.
Because h264 is a 8bit codec, 16bit isn't possible as far as I know.

cDNG/16 -> Afx (32) -> DPX/16 -> Pr -> h264/8 (or DNxHD/10 -> h264/8) works best for me.

sick stu

Hi all,
I havent read the whole discussion have you tried the free Cineform codec?
Thats the only one i use as the compression is very very low hardly any i think.
Its a slightly compressed Uncompressed codec...somthin like that.
My work flow is (WIN7 32bit) Raw > Cdng> After Effect CS4> Minor Colour correction> batch export to Cineform.MOV
Then into Premiere, final edit > Cineform.MOV archive.
I was exporting to Cineform.AVI but was getting bad moire so i tried Cineform.MOV (Quicktime Quality slider set to MAX)
and that results in alot less moire.
The files are quite big but not that bad.
Hope that helps.
Stuart.

budafilms

Quote from: chris bouk on November 15, 2013, 08:41:29 PM
....fixed...
captured RAW video and now I'm converting the files from dng to psd to open with AE like a multiple files....will see...
any suggestion for the next step to finish the video is very acceptable! Do we have to do all this long job for a short video in RAW?
Working 10000 frames in Ps and then in AE and then APremiere for a 30 seconds video? Is there a shorter way?
best regards
Chris

OPen Raw to DNG and use Resolve Lite. It's free.
Forget Avi and Premiere. Except if you work with birthdays and weddings and all that  ugly stuff....

zcream

Any chance of supporting lossless compressed dng ?

a1ex

Sure, just grab the code from cr2hdr (adobedng-bridge.c).

5Djp

Fukurou

Edited.
Wrong thread sorry. Please deleted this post.
Canon 5D3
Canon 50mm 1.8, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Samyang 14mm 2.8
PC - Windows 7