RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ifleeter

feureau

Quote from: ifleeter on September 10, 2013, 10:17:47 PM
So, I'm gathering no one has a clue what this is. That's all I wanted to know. Alright, thanks!

Oh, we know what that is. But you need to read this first: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

ifleeter

Quote from: feureau on September 11, 2013, 12:49:33 PM
Oh, we know what that is. But you need to read this first: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

So, I'm guessing you guys thought I was asking for help and for you to solve everything for me. So I didn't have to read. But If you read what I posted "Not sure where to post this. I have converted my raw files with the raw2dng converter and the first frame is great but then all the rest have this Pink banding." I didn't ask for any help at all. I was just posting to get discussion about what I had came across. I didn't know that I had to be super to the point in what I was saying. Next time I will be straight forward and add "Any Ideas?" or "What do you guys think?" I just thought that was common knowledge (especially to a group of people who are smart and breaking new ground with these DSLR's) that I just wanted to talk about it. I mean that's what this forum is right? Discussion about magic Lantern? And then even more to the point to this thread, discussion about "RAW Video Post processing [Mac/Win/Linux]"

So, I sincerely apologize. Which means I'm sorry for posting in your thread and not being able to further your discussion. I shouldn't of posted because my rhetorical statement was unnecessary and highly illogical.

My second attempt at forming a logical statement that has a question that can be further discussed in a logical informing manner.

Question: 1 (Attempt 2)

Hey guys!

I'm new here! :D I have very little posts. I really enjoy learning new things and I've been looking into this and reading about it here, in these forums! I did a search of the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for.

So, according to the forum rules. I may ask the question in the thread specified. This just so happens to be that thread!  :D

When working with Magic Lantern I have came across something rather odd, to me at least. Using the file footer replacement thread i replaced my file footer. I then have converted my raw files with the raw2dng converter and the first frame is great but then all the rest have this Pink banding.

I would very much like to discuss this in an informing way. I don't want you to solve it for me, I just want to talk about it and learn if other people have came across this same issue.

:End Question:

RenatoPhoto

If I knew the strightforward and simple answer I would have given already but, this is a bit of a mess because it could be many things.  I am not a developer so I dont have enough knowledge but here is my suggestion:

From the link above you will find the following advise:

Before You Ask

Before asking a technical question by e-mail, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.

Try to find an answer by searching the Web.

Try to find an answer by reading the manual.

Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.

Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.

Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.

If you're a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source code.

Ok, so you have done step one:  Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.

Now do step two:

in Google search copy and paste this:

pink frames site: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php

This will get you lots of info, unfortunately our search function is worthless since the forum was updated, I dont know why.  :'(  So you have to use Google.

Step three above... etc.

--------------

Here is what I know about pink frames:

Usually a problem at the beginning of the implementation stage of RAW to a new camera.  Never had a situation as you have posted, where the first frame is good and the rest are trash.

Ok to try to trouble shoot this issue by a more advanced person you will probably need to provide.

Again from the previous link here is some helpful advise:

Be precise and informative about your problem

Describe the symptoms of your problem or bug carefully and clearly.

Describe the environment in which it occurs (machine, OS, application, whatever). Provide your vendor's distribution and release level (e.g.: "Fedora Core 7", "Slackware 9.1", etc.).

Describe the research you did to try and understand the problem before you asked the question.

Describe the diagnostic steps you took to try and pin down the problem yourself before you asked the question.

Describe any possibly relevant recent changes in your computer or software configuration.

If at all possible, provide a way to reproduce the problem in a controlled environment.

So far you have done step 1.

What about step 2.. 
In step 2 specific information about the camera model, the build that you tested, the card that you used (may be a faulty car!), the settings in the RAW module, anything elese you can add!

If you provide little information you will get little help.

Continuing with step 3, 4, 5, etc.

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

feureau

TL;DR - we solved the pink thingy in various front.

RenatoPhoto

@ifleeter: I found a similar post but no solution yet here:
Salvaging Pink Crazy DNGs
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8237.msg75930;topicseen#msg75930

@ feureau;  Can you please give us a link to the post?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

a1ex

QuoteUsing the file footer replacement thread i replaced my file footer.

The frame size in the file footer must match exactly the frame size from your raw file (usually w x h x 14/8 rounded to next 4096 multiple).

ifleeter

@RenatoPhoto Thank you for the suggestions, I will begin to do so. Also, thanks for link! Sounds exactly like my issue.

@a1ex Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that as well.

This is just want I wanted, some discussion on the issue. I understand that people come into forums and expect everything handed to them. So I understand why I was replied to like I was. I was just looking for some good ol informal productive discussion, because by all means I am not a programmer and don't even want to pretend I am. That stuff is over my head.

Thanks again for the help I'm going to look into it all.

coralio

Hi there,

It seems that the Camera Model (5DM2) is not included in the DNG when convert using Raw2DNG for Mac. So I cannot use my VSCO Camera Profiles. Any hint on how to solve this? RawMagic instead allows me to choose the Camera Model,  but I feel more comfortable using the last build of Raw2DNG.

Thanks a lot,
Pablo

Malex

Hi guys, I guess many of you heard about the new features for Adobe CC coming out next month, I am pretty excited about few of the new features!
Basically if you are an Adobe user, here is the new workflow we will be using :

- create DNG files like usual (rawmagic, rawanizer or raw2dng or mlv2dng)
- import those DNG into Premiere
- create your proxy from the dng and start editing
- clic the send to Speedgrade button to start grading your footage,
- send back to Premiere
- switch your sequence to DNG files and render out!

This workflow is in my opinion one of the fastest, easiest there will be from next month.
I guess that Davinci resolve has more features than Speedgrade, but with that new Direct link feature things just got perfect! and now with the Mercury Playback Engine stuff it should be has powerfull as Davinci.

here are 2 videos showing quickly the new features:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-speedgrade-cc-direct-link/
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-ultra-hd4kray-support/

here are is the page with all the new features:
http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/09/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-october-2013-release.html

I just need to learn Speedgrade now...

What do you guys think about that workflow ? is it ideal ?

dude

Thats really nice, because we don t need the way over after effects anymore.
Does the master Collection benefit from that? Will there be a update für Premiere pro cs6 to use tzhe dngs?
Will they then be debayered by premiere or like in ae, with acr?

Malex

The update is for Premiere CC, not CS6, and yes debayer is done is Premiere.

mityazabuben

raw2dng.exe  is missing...
everyone talkin about raw2cdng program. Is it same as raw2dng?
Thanks.

prabhath.mp

Quote from: a1ex on May 14, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
raw2dng (reference implementation, command-line tool)

Source code: raw2dng.c
Windows executable: raw2dng.exe (also runs in Wine, for Mac and Linux)

Usage: drag and drop the .raw file over the executable, or use the command line.

Linux shell script for conversion to mjpeg: raw2avi.sh

Hi Alex :)

Hope you are well.

I just tried to run RAW2DNG.exe on Ubuntu with Wine, however, it just executes in background.

My computer just has Ubuntu 13.04 (no dual boot option).

I tried to follow the procedure for linux (.sh format) and that was a little complicated for me to understand (apologies).

Please advise if there is any alternate or if I am missing any step.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon :)

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

dude

Hi, changed from other thread:
I do not find raw2dng.exe for mk III.
The problem is the missing metadata, acr always opens the dngs with embedded profile.
raw2cdng has the same results.
i downloaded raw2dng from a mkII build, with that acr says that the footage is mkII. i thought raw2dng is camera-independent?
Some ideas how to get the metadata in acr? seems like i always downloaded older versions of raw2dng...

budafilms

Here are a lot of software to transform raw to DNG.
All DNGs files works in ACR.

Try Davinci Resolve directly, version 10. Legal and free!

ivannoel

Hi guys.

This MUST have been dealt with before, sorry...
I am shooting a feature, and shot a 12min shot today, in two (multiple) files. But my 5D3 froze in the middle of the second take, and I am left with a RAW file (in 6 multiples) that Rawmagic won't reckognise, I suppose this is because the cam didnt shut down properly.
Does anyone know how to salvage all those 4.29gb files that I do have?
Thanks

RenatoPhoto

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

mrnv45

i was having similar issues

but what i did was

when selecting footage..

File type : Any File
Format : Camera Raw
Check: raw image sequence

that got rid the pink, instead of just selecting the .dng files.

dude

One question about flickering-
i am processing with acr and the 2012 profile.
because the highlights sucked, it decided to pull down the "lights" bar for a test, and was expecting heavy luma flickering. but there is nothing.
is it always flickering when pulling the sliders which shouldn t be pulled, or just only in special cases?
it s a normal evening shot with burned highlights

larry 777

Hi ,
Thank you so much for the magic lantern software, it is really fantastic tool.
I can't go higher than 1728x972 in raw video continuous, with 7D, transcend 64gig x1000 (67.1 Mbs at 23,976p)
aspect ratio is 16:9. ( using 29/09 britom's build )
Is it possible to upscale to 1920x1020 in after effects for full hd resolution?
I tried to find the answer in the forum but I couldn't.

RenatoPhoto

larry 777

Thanks, so 1920x1080 won't be possible with 7d because of sensor ?