hi

may i ask what is the fastest work flow for 1 april 2014

mine is

1 raw2dng mac
2 ps adjust color and covert to tif
3 quicktime convert to mov 4444

is this the best?

Fastest for mac?

DNG to Da Vinci Resolve to Whatever you want.

Best? Depende your skills. I prefer Da Vinci, most appear to be ACR.

applewide

hi

thanks buddafilms

i have come up with the new way

ML RAW 2, i think it is better, because it can work with colorchecker profile that i have it, raw 1 doesn't have this

1 using mystic GUI to convert to DNG
2 ps cs3 on imac adjust the color sync it and then export to tif, this is long not sure why, i have the fastest 32gb, i7 mac still slow
3 quicktime open in sequence and then export to 422 hq, then i can play it without the stutter

image is like 4k

i can only record with fastest card 128gb komputerbay 1050x still only 1920x818, if i try 1920x1080 it will drop after 10 seconds

i think if i can expoert from ps to mov, it would be so great step 3 is a pain, i understand that colour  adjustment is necessary

budafilms

Quote from: applewide on April 02, 2014, 05:24:06 AM
hi

thanks buddafilms

i have come up with the new way

ML RAW 2, i think it is better, because it can work with colorchecker profile that i have it, raw 1 doesn't have this

1 using mystic GUI to convert to DNG
2 ps cs3 on imac adjust the color sync it and then export to tif, this is long not sure why, i have the fastest 32gb, i7 mac still slow
3 quicktime open in sequence and then export to 422 hq, then i can play it without the stutter

image is like 4k

i can only record with fastest card 128gb komputerbay 1050x still only 1920x818, if i try 1920x1080 it will drop after 10 seconds

i think if i can expoert from ps to mov, it would be so great step 3 is a pain, i understand that colour  adjustment is necessary

Check your CUDA Drives for Mac. But, I think your mac could have AMD not NVIDIA. Check it.
CS, Da Vinci, needs Cuda software up to date.

Depends you final work - internet, DVD - do you need export to Tiff? It's huge file size.

You don't mention your camera... 5D Mark III? In that case should work with 1920x1080 24 or 25p Continous!

Some user are reporting problems with last MLV, try the release from march 17. It works for me.

Nice image, really? ;)

applewide

Chipset Model:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   4096 MB
  Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:   0x119e
  Revision ID:   0x00a2
  ROM Revision:   3755

ok i shall try buddafilms

really nice, even it has exif embedded  in it

tif and jpg when convert to mov, which one is better quality for 422 HQ?

this is ML1 i think no exif

budafilms

Quote from: applewide on April 03, 2014, 05:51:24 AM
  Chipset Model:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   4096 MB
  Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:   0x119e
  Revision ID:   0x00a2
  ROM Revision:   3755

ok i shall try buddafilms

really nice, even it has exif embedded  in it

tif and jpg when convert to mov, which one is better quality for 422 HQ?

this is ML1 i think no exif

About your NVIDIA, it's on board, it's not too faster like an external GPU 780, and you can download from apple or nvidia the new drivers. Then you can select use OSX drivers or Nvidia drives. Maybe go faster for your export form ACR.

TIFF it's better than JPG. And 4444 much better than HQ. But think the final use of your work: Vimeo or youtube don't need this.

If you use Resolve, it's directly form DNG to Pro Res, HQ or better, 4444 to " touch" a little again in the soft that you used for edit.

As you know Uncompressed it's the most, but it's impossible for the space that need it. You can play with few seconds to see the difference.

If you continue using ACR, remember to set 16 bits, not less.

If you edit with final cut X, remember the soft convert all the files to Pro Res - not HQ - and then start to export. So, put the files more than Pro Res, it's the double job for your system, and you lost a generation.

Be smart with the final use of your work to take advantage of the quality and your time!!! ;)

Good work!!!!

applewide

yeah thanks buddafilms, i could not find the drive, please give links

yes i use final cut pro x to edit, i want to speed up the process, it is taking too long

actually just adjust and convert to pro res is enough workflow, too long

budafilms

Quote from: applewide on April 04, 2014, 10:44:09 AM
yeah thanks buddafilms, i could not find the drive, please give links

yes i use final cut pro x to edit, i want to speed up the process, it is taking too long

actually just adjust and convert to pro res is enough workflow, too long

Sure!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.47-driver.html

Give a night to Davinci Resolve ;)

applewide

i didn't realize, i need to install driver for mac os

i am changing vesa mount on imac 27 now, will try later in the week

so pro res 422 only right for fcpx, got it

i still can not figure how to record audio, any luck on that?

crabman0

I did alot of reading on the RAW proccessing workflow, and have 1 thing unclear for me;
After the image sequence is turned into a clip (ima using Vegas) whats the rendering settings should be?
If my video is 960x544 14bit 23.96 fps. And also how do I uprezz it?
Thanks in advance! :)

bwatkins

I've been profoundly frustrated with a RAW post-processing problem that regards importing the DNG files into After Effects.  Here's a rundown of my woes:

1) Record ML RAW 1920x1080 24fps on 5d Mk III (Confirmed that the cam setting is 24fps and FPS override is set to 24fps exact).
2) Convert MLV to DNG using MLV Converter.
3) Confirm the DNG files match # frames needed for recorded duration.  (I.E.  10 seconds = 240 frames)
4) Import DNG sequence into After Effects (24 fps comp)
5) **BAM** the duration shown on the comp timeline is EXACTLY 25% fewer frames than should be: Meaning it's looking for an extra 6 frames/sec. for 30fps. But where?  All my settings are at 24fps? 

**FIGURED IT OUT**  Wrong settings in After Effects: Selected DNG sequence -> Interpret Footage -> Select 24fps (Appears to default to 30fps)

Stupidity on my part, but I'll leave this up for others who may have the same problem.

jarandov

Hi bwatkins

what is your mlv converter? How can I find and download that. I am using MAC and I want to convert MLV file to DNG.  RAW2DNG doesn't support MLV files.

jarandov

Hi guys

it could be great if someone create a program for mac like Rawmagic lite ( no problem to pay for it) if the program could handle mlv files correctly. I thinking about Mac version no windows. I hope that i can see some this program in close future.

Thanks in advance.

HD Cam Team

Hi,

Sorry for my question, I've been out of the loop for long time.

Is there any app for Windows that converts the .raw file to some kind of video file? (there wasn't any for windows in 2013, only for Linux, but maybe there is one now)

Thanks a lot
HD Cam Team
Web:
www.HDCamTeam.com | Twitter: @HDCamTeam | Facebook: HDCamTeam

Frank7D

Quote from: HD Cam Team on May 21, 2014, 09:53:50 PM
Hi,

Sorry for my question, I've been out of the loop for long time.

Is there any app for Windows that converts the .raw file to some kind of video file? (there wasn't any for windows in 2013, only for Linux, but maybe there is one now)

Thanks a lot

There's more than one: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0

HD Cam Team

Quote from: Frank7D on May 21, 2014, 10:59:29 PM
There's more than one: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0

Thanks!

I see the are many topics there.

What application would you suggest to convert ML .raw files directly to a video file format (not sequence of images) in Windows, to then process in Premiere/AE ?

Thanks once again
HD Cam Team
Web:
www.HDCamTeam.com | Twitter: @HDCamTeam | Facebook: HDCamTeam

Frank7D

Quote from: HD Cam Team on May 22, 2014, 07:16:02 AM
Thanks!

I see the are many topics there.

What application would you suggest to convert ML .raw files directly to a video file format (not sequence of images) in Windows, to then process in Premiere/AE ?

Thanks once again

Haven't used the video output option, but I've heard good things about this one: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

Personally I like using ACR so I convert to dngs and then work in AE.

martin_a

Hi guys,

I've the last nightly build installed on my 5D Mark III running 1.2.3. I did a few tests yesterday with my 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM with AF. I've recorded a mlv clips with sound from a rode video mic pro on a LEXAR 32 Gb 1066x, I'm converting my clips from mlv to DNG with MlRawViewer and i have a few questions...

• I have those vertical lines a few of you get too, what can I do ?
  • When i try to open a DNG sequence with AE it's not recognized as a sequence as it is when i first modify the DNG in lightroom, why ?
  • The white balance is never the same as the one I have in the live view... Can I fix it ?

I've been searching answers on this forum for a few days but I found nothing... Thanks for your help !
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

martin_a

5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

grantcallegari

Hi martin_a

I've had the same problem with the vertical banding. The only solution I've found is bumping up the luminance in ACR. It helps but not a great solution.

With AE are you going Import > File > then select the first image in the sequence and check the Camera Raw Sequence box if not already selected.

I haven't noticed an issue with white balance. I do have an issue with the colour/luma shift from AE to finished ProRes 4444 render.

reddeercity

QuoteI haven't noticed an issue with white balance. I do have an issue with the colour/luma shift from AE to finished ProRes 4444 render
What's your project setting ?
I use 32bit for my project & use ProRes4444 RGB+A with Trillions+ colors and there is not Color/Luma Shift.
The only time I have seen color/luma shift is when the image is out of Video Range colors as you are going from
Full Range Color (0-255) and compressing it to Rec 709 (16-235) with ProRes. Watch your wave monitor in A.E.(ACR) very important  :D

grantcallegari

Quote from: reddeercity on June 01, 2014, 05:32:13 AM
What's your project setting ?

I had my project set to 8bits per channel with millions of colors. Does having it set to 32bit make a big difference over 16bit? I have a warning telling me that some effect only support 8 and 16 bit per channel colour and using 32 bit may reduce color precision and may remove any high dynamic range values. Do I still use 32 bit in this case?

Thanks for the help!

reddeercity

Quote from: grantcallegari on June 01, 2014, 05:52:43 PM
I had my project set to 8bits per channel with millions of colors. Does having it set to 32bit make a big difference over 16bit? I have a warning telling me that some effect only support 8 and 16 bit per channel colour and using 32 bit may reduce color precision and may remove any high dynamic range values. Do I still use 32 bit in this case?

Thanks for the help!
Are you grading in A.E. ?
What's your workflow ? Premiere Pro ?
I would use no less then 32bit project as this will yield a 12bit ProRes 4444 which is the closes to your source.
If you work in PP then you can convert to 12bit Cdng's and edit them native and dynamic link to A.E., Speed Grade or export EDL/XML to Resolve.
When I work only with .MOV ProRes I pergrade with ACR to get the file to legal Video Colors then go on from there.
Hope that helps. :)

mkrjf

Shot indie short on 5DMk3 with ML hack last weekend !yay!
But I can only convert some of the footage to prores444 .mov using raw2dngapp and raw2dng on Mac OSX (mavericks)
Sometimes the captured footage is one large raw file > 4GB other times it is a set of files (001, 002).
Cat method of just recombining files seems to work.

For some of the original one file RAW files raw2dngapp creates DNG files but no prores .mov. (see below)
Whole reason for me to use is to get the .mov foe editing. Would rather not have to edit with .dng.
I suspect the 'error' messages are invalid as all files have identical framerate and some process completely and others don't.

BTW can anyone confirm output is true prores 4444? Some applications report the output is prores4444 but others show as prores422 (who knows which program is correct) (using quicktime viewer, VLC, and mpeg stream clip)

Can someone confirm what FFMPEG command and what version of FFMPEG so I can repeat manually?
Only the ffmpeg output is shown not the cmd executing (maybe that could be echoed in next version?)
Sometimes I get a cryptic error: maxvalue=0.
Also - raw files smaller than a certain size always fail (not the issue here, just fyi).

raw2dng converter GUI for OsX
Beta ver.0.13

Wish raw2dng showed version! just shows usage

So, for example a 12.15 GB single raw file was captured for one take and raw2dngapp successfully converted and created 3.24 GB prores444 .mov - fabulous.

But for a 5.58 GB single raw file it created 1536 dng (not sure if it created all successfully) but then failed to create .mov - see error below (but sometimes there is error/warning of maxvalue=0)

raw2dng converter GUI for OsX
Beta ver.0.13

M13-1450 File Supported
Generating ProResHQ 4444 with FPS: 0.000
ffmpeg version 1.2.1-tessus Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on May  9 2013 21:58:14 with llvm-gcc 4.2.1 (LLVM build 2336.1.00)
  configuration: --prefix=/Users/tessus/data/ext/ffmpeg/sw --as=yasm --extra-version=tessus --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-ffplay --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads --enable-postproc --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libspeex --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libxavs --enable-version3 --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libgsm --enable-libopus --enable-fontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libass --enable-filters --enable-runtime-cpudetect
  libavutil      52. 18.100 / 52. 18.100
  libavcodec     54. 92.100 / 54. 92.100
  libavformat    54. 63.104 / 54. 63.104
  libavdevice    54.  3.103 / 54.  3.103
  libavfilter     3. 42.103 /  3. 42.103
  libswscale      2.  2.100 /  2.  2.100
  libswresample   0. 17.102 /  0. 17.102
  libpostproc    52.  2.100 / 52.  2.100
[image2pipe demuxer @ 0x10201f400] Could not parse framerate: 0.000.
pipe:0: Invalid argument
Done

If there are newer versions pleas point me to. I know I spark the 'didn't you google for t^%&^% to get the already posted answer?' but sometimes what to google for is the issue ;)
Thanks in advance
Eager to brag about the value provided by ML for indie filmmakers!!
Mike

Planet-X

I've been trying (on and off) for about 6 months to get this to work.  Clearly I've done something wrong.  I believe that  I'm shooting RAW (I get what I think is RAW playback in the camera) but when I go into the card there is no folder with individual files.   There is only one file with a .MLV extension that the raw2DNG software says it doesn't recognize.  I'm sure I must have missed something in this forum.  Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction.  I should mention that I'm on a Mac G5 Intel 8 core.

Walter Schulz