HowTo? Get complete enough Nightly for 5d2 .zip to install?

Started by l_d_allan, May 13, 2013, 03:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l_d_allan

Sorry if this has been asked before.

When trying to install the May 13, 2013 Nightly Build, I'm getting the message:
Firmware update program
Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.

When I unzip the v2.3.NEXT.2013May13, there is a 1100D-105.fir, but no .fir for the 5d2 within the zip. Should I reuse another .fir for the 5d2?

I've gotten the NB (nightly build) to work twice before on both my 5d2 and T3i, and each time had a problem like this. IIRC, the firmware doesn't report a Nightly-Build, but v2.3.  It's not a confidence builder. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, like leaving out a step. Or I shouldn't use the 5D2 in "Non Magic Mode" to format the CF card prior to installing the NB?

Should the NB .zip have a 5D2-212.fir in it? I've got one dated from 2012.July.23, which I think is from the Canon firmware update.

Or should I get the 5D2-212.fir from the v2.3 "Stable Release"? Which is also dated 2012-July-23. It does seem odd that the NB .zip has a .fir for only the 1100D. Is that "as expected"? Because it wasn't in the v2.3 Stable-Release? Or there haven't been firmware updates from Canon for the 1100D?

Sorry to be slow, but it is perhaps from an excess of caution to try something that could brick my 5D2. I really, really want to explore automated dot-tune and RAW histograms.

nanomad

For the 1000th time, you need to install the latest stable build and then overwrite it with the nightly...

That being said, unless someone says otherwise, you don't need to run the .fir each time you change build. Once the bootflag is set on your camera, the fir is useless...you can use EOSCard or Macboot to make the card bootable. It will even stick between firmware upgrades :)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

l_d_allan

Sorry. I don't recall seeing this info in the v2.3 documentation, or the Nightly-Build (NB) sub-forum. I guess I didn't look carefully enough and/or got impatient.

I suppose I asked, even though I had what seemed like a work-around, because my speculation was that other ML NB newbies might have a similar question.

It seems like as long as there is any valid 5d2-212.fir on the CF card, the NB will probably install properly. Maybe? Or as I've observed, after two or three attempts?

Really, I'd be glad to carefully follow instructions, if I could find the instructions.

Perhaps the development team could consider including a valid 5d2-212.fir within the NB .zip? Or is that problematic? It's a rather small 64kb file.

d

Here's a complete zip file for the 5D2. Extracting this to a bootable card should be all you need to do (assuming you've got your camera already set up to boot from cards).

Raelic

Quote from: l_d_allan on May 13, 2013, 03:33:05 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before.

When trying to install the May 13, 2013 Nightly Build, I'm getting the message:
Firmware update program
Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.

When I unzip the v2.3.NEXT.2013May13, there is a 1100D-105.fir, but no .fir for the 5d2 within the zip. Should I reuse another .fir for the 5d2?

I've gotten the NB (nightly build) to work twice before on both my 5d2 and T3i, and each time had a problem like this. IIRC, the firmware doesn't report a Nightly-Build, but v2.3.  It's not a confidence builder. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, like leaving out a step. Or I shouldn't use the 5D2 in "Non Magic Mode" to format the CF card prior to installing the NB?

Should the NB .zip have a 5D2-212.fir in it? I've got one dated from 2012.July.23, which I think is from the Canon firmware update.

Or should I get the 5D2-212.fir from the v2.3 "Stable Release"? Which is also dated 2012-July-23. It does seem odd that the NB .zip has a .fir for only the 1100D. Is that "as expected"? Because it wasn't in the v2.3 Stable-Release? Or there haven't been firmware updates from Canon for the 1100D?

Sorry to be slow, but it is perhaps from an excess of caution to try something that could brick my 5D2. I really, really want to explore automated dot-tune and RAW histograms.

This was not very clear to me either at first, so I hope this might help you:

1: If you do not already have it make sure you have the regular/Stable release (non-nightly) build of ML firmware for our camera installed (5d MKII). The ".FIR" file in this is the correct version you need.

2: If you choose to download the Nightly Build the "Autoexec.bin" and "ML" Folders contain the updated data. Even though they may appear the same as what you have already you can copy (and overwrite when prompted) the existing files on your Compact Flash card. Don't worry about the ".FIR" file as the one from the stable version you already have installed is correct... it is these other files (the Autoexec and ML folders) that give you the updates you need.

3: When you turn on your camera and go to ML option (Trash button on MKII) you should now see a couple new features.

That should at least help you install the new build. The DNG burst mode should be available from this alone, and if you are looking for the raw Video mode additionally (alternative to DNG burst) you will also need to download and install the correct module. There are a couple recent posts on where to get this for our camera.

I hope that helps