Supported 1000x CF cards for continuous RAW recording

Started by Africashot, May 13, 2013, 01:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulshooter

Hey Ted,

I'm shooting primarily on a 5D II (and waiting for the 7D ML to mature). I might be looking to upgrade to the 5D III soon so I can have 60p capability with raw.

Would you suggest Komputerbay 64GB 1000x cards as the universal best choice? Right now I'm shooting raw with Sandisk 32GB 600x cards so I'm still compromising with ratios/resolution. And I work on Macs which don't have USB 3 so I'm still using a Sandisk Extreme CF reader with Firewire800.

Just to be on the safe side, can you also suggest a compatible card reader so I don't blow my cards with incompatible firmware?

ted ramasola

Quote from: soulshooter on August 20, 2013, 10:56:03 PM
Hey Ted,

I'm shooting primarily on a 5D II (and waiting for the 7D ML to mature). I might be looking to upgrade to the 5D III soon so I can have 60p capability with raw.

Would you suggest Komputerbay 64GB 1000x cards as the universal best choice? Right now I'm shooting raw with Sandisk 32GB 600x cards so I'm still compromising with ratios/resolution. And I work on Macs which don't have USB 3 so I'm still using a Sandisk Extreme CF reader with Firewire800.

Just to be on the safe side, can you also suggest a compatible card reader so I don't blow my cards with incompatible firmware?

Yes, I would recommend the 64gig 1000X cards.  KB tech support say its the old usb2.0 CF reader that burns out the udma7 cards so I asked what if a usb 3.0 card reader is used but plugged on a usb 2.0 port? They said it might be ok. But just just to be safe since I have an older motherboard so what I did was bought a usb 3.0 pcie card to connect my usb 3.0 card reader.

They recommend the kingston card reader with the model; FCR-HS3 but since it was not readily available in my area I just got a SIIG brand usb 3.0 card reader and it works.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

soulshooter

looks to be a pain if i need to figure out a way to get USB 3.0 to my mac. even if it's backwards compatible with USB 2.0, those transfer speeds are gonna be crawling so that route is no good.

thanks for the info. did they tell you why connecting UDMA7 cards to USB 2.0 causes damage?

soulshooter

or wait a minute...is there any issue with connecting UDMA7 cards to firewire800 readers?

ted ramasola

Quote from: soulshooter on August 20, 2013, 11:38:27 PM
or wait a minute...is there any issue with connecting UDMA7 cards to firewire800 readers?

The thing is make sure you have a CF reader that is udma 7 compatible. But they say to avoid a lexar card reader.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

gtsofilms

hey all,

first time posting, been following the ml raw threads for a while, thanks for sharing all the stuff you guys have tried out! So much inspiration in these forums.

Just picked up a few 64GB Komputerbay cards and was testing them out on the 5D2.  I'm getting about 74.5 ish MB/sec after they're warmed up I can record continuously for probably 6-7 minutes on average before I get a dropped frame.  Just wondering if that's standard for the 5D2 and 64GB 1000x Komputerbay Cards.

Does anyone know how to check the chipset on the cards? I noticed the benchmark tool doesn't show it on the 5d2, unlike the 5d3. 

Thanks so much !
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 21, 2013, 04:47:20 AM
6-7 minutes, at what resolution?

I can tell it's 1872@16:9. We all have this, it's when the card gets fuller it gets slower. That's why it's continuous and then it changes to 6000-7000 frames.

gtsofilms

1856x1004 (I'm shooting at 1:85)

ah, so it's not the card that's the problem but the 5d2.  I've tested all three cards with a usb3.0 reader and black magic's disk test and they all write at around 109MB/S.  I guess I just want to make sure that those are the fastest speeds people are getting so I can decide whether or not to return them. 

I'll have to test the 1872 16:9 and see how long I can record continuously

thanks a lot!

gtsofilms

I just did a test where I recorded about 9 minutes continuously at 1852, then around 9:30 it drops from 75MB/S to 1.0-3.0 MB/S and then drops a frame and stops.  I'm using the August 16th build. 

Have you guys noticed that?

ted ramasola

Quote from: gtsofilms on August 21, 2013, 05:15:28 AM

ah, so it's not the card that's the problem but the 5d2.  I've tested all three cards with a usb3.0 reader and black magic's disk test and they all write at around 109MB/S.  I guess I just want to make sure that those are the fastest speeds people are getting so I can decide whether or not to return them. 

thanks a lot!

You should get continuous or past 40 gig with these resolutions.

1880 x 940 2:1
1872 x 936 2:1
1856 x 928 2:1
1728 x 972 16:9

make sure you have small hacks=ON
in canon menu stills. Raw=none Jpeg=small or large.
preferably 1880=OFF if you want optimum time.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: gtsofilms on August 21, 2013, 05:15:28 AM

thanks a lot!

Yeah that's actually the resolution that I had in mind, I just forgot.

Also it's not the 5D2. Drives do this, see SSD's for example.

Davidos

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 21, 2013, 12:10:08 AM
The thing is make sure you have a CF reader that is udma 7 compatible. But they say to avoid a lexar card reader.

Hi Ted
Thanks for some seriously good ground work you've done with the KB cards. I'll be getting the 64GB x1000 cards for my 5D II. Seems like a good match. Just a quick question. I have the "Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7)". Is that one "safe" for the KB cards?

Thanks

ted ramasola

Quote from: Davidos on August 27, 2013, 08:40:44 PM
Hi Ted
Thanks for some seriously good ground work you've done with the KB cards. I'll be getting the 64GB x1000 cards for my 5D II. Seems like a good match. Just a quick question. I have the "Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7)". Is that one "safe" for the KB cards?

Thanks

Davidos,

according to the technicians at KB, they tested several readers to see which ones are ok, the Lexar's has issues with compatibility.  They recommend the kingston FCR-HS3. I got a cheaper SIIG brand USB 3.0 reader and its ok.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Davidos

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 10:38:57 PM
Davidos,

according to the technicians at KB, they tested several readers to see which ones are ok, the Lexar's apparently use a certain chip type that somehow is not compatible with the KB cards thus corrupting them. They recommend the kingston FCR-HS3. I got a cheaper SIIG brand USB 3.0 reader and its ok.

Good stuff. The kingstons are cheap enough on ebay. I'll pick one up there... :)

Kraemer

I'm on my 4th 64 GB 1000x card from KB.   >:(  I am going to return it.  Not worth the hassle!  Shit-- ruined a shoot and my name!
Yeah, it just did the same as the others-- crashed  BEWARE! 

PressureFM

Quote from: Kraemer on August 29, 2013, 09:32:00 AM
I'm on my 4th 64 GB 1000x card from KB.   >:(  I am going to return it.  Not worth the hassle!  Shit-- ruined a shoot and my name!
Yeah, it just did the same as the others-- crashed  BEWARE!

While using Magic Lantern?

Karmaschinken

Hello guys! I got a 1000x 64GB KomputerBay Card and would like to try how it works on my 5D2, I´ll post my results here. But I wonder if there are already some conclusions about the various cards how to format the cards to achieve best speed results. Is there any table for that out, yet? Thanks! Martin

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Karmaschinken on September 03, 2013, 01:44:26 PM
Hello guys! I got a 1000x 64GB KomputerBay Card and would like to try how it works on my 5D2, I´ll post my results here. But I wonder if there are already some conclusions about the various cards how to format the cards to achieve best speed results. Is there any table for that out, yet? Thanks! Martin

Post your results here (video tests section) : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8000.0
So all the tests will be in one place easily findable by anyone !  ;)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Karmaschinken

Hmmm, I don´t think I have to go further with testing. The card gives me 65MB/s, that is a little more than my 16GB Sandisk Extreme. I already read about the inconsistencies of KomputerBay regarding speed. However, I will give it another try by changing it to another card.

Khoi

Well, just wanted to update you guys on my KomputerBay 64GB 1000x

I ordered it May 20th, and it worked pretty well, I got some decent speeds, but it was somewhat inconsistent (on some occasions, I'd get a dropped frame here and there when recording RAW 1920x1080 24fps)

But about 3 days ago, my card just completely failed on me while I was shooting at the aquarium, just shooting normal pictures. Didn't even have a SD card in, let alone Magic Lantern. It was working perfectly throughout the day, then just randomly when I went to take a picture, it said my card couldn't be read and it had to be formatted. I've tried 13 different recovery programs to try to recover my pictures from the weekend, but sadly it's not readable by anything.

I purchased it off eBay, and I just contacted them regarding their warranty and see if I can get a replacement.

Brett

Hi All,

I am very new to all this but read with interest. I decided to resurrect my 5DMKII for underwater use now it seems possible to shoot in RAW.

I ordered, without realising it wouldn't (according to the forum) work with the 5DMKII and asked to swap it for 2 x 64gb cards.

I received the following reply today from KB:

"This version of the 128GB is firmware bootable on the 5DM2.

Please let us know what RAW resolutions you get once you get the card.

Please let us know if we may further assist you
."

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Brett on September 06, 2013, 08:20:21 PM
Hi All,

I am very new to all this but read with interest. I decided to resurrect my 5DMKII for underwater use now it seems possible to shoot in RAW.

I ordered, without realising it wouldn't (according to the forum) work with the 5DMKII and asked to swap it for 2 x 64gb cards.

I received the following reply today from KB:

"This version of the 128GB is firmware bootable on the 5DM2.

Please let us know what RAW resolutions you get once you get the card.

Please let us know if we may further assist you
."

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

If it is a recent purchase then it should be ok. I have a 128 1000X with me and its tested ok for both firmware update and running ML.
It was the first releases of this card that had problems with firmware. It has since been resolved,
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Brett

Thanks Ted, it arrived today after ordering on Wednesday so I guess this is good news.

cinemartin

HI Guys, I had problems with komputerbay x1000 128 gig, first, I couldn´t install it in my 5dM2. Second, Someone told me on the forum that many be is and old version x1050, and then I should to try to replace this card. However it looks  see threads above, it´s a non reliable card, since cannot achieve what it suppose to reach > 90 m/s please do not buy kompubay 100x 128 gig card.