[SOLVED - Hardware failure] 600D not starting with card in

Started by nytrojen, May 11, 2013, 06:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nytrojen

Ok, so this seems a bit convoluted, but I'll try and make it clear:

As a bit of background, I've been using ML without issue on my 600D for about half a year now, and done a few timelapse videos using the built in intervalometer.

1.) Was shooting timelapse with the intervalometer on ML when after about 40 shots a message popped up saying "Card cannot be accessed/read, please change the card" or something to that effect.

2.) I opened the card slot, removed the card and reinserted it. Now, I can't remember whether i turned the camera off first, or whether i cycled the power switch after reinserting the card (stupid yes I know but I was panicking and not thinking straight).

3.) Camera wouldn't turn on at all anymore. I've used this card for about a year now, and is the only one that I have ML on, and haven't had any issues on it.

4.) Tried 2 other cards: a Sandisk 32gb class 4 Micro-SD with adapter and a 64gb Sandisk class 10. At one point the camera turned on saying the card wasn't accessible, but it then wouldn't turn on again.

5.) UNTIL i removed the card, removed the lens and battery, closed the card slot (without card), put the lens back on and reinserted the battery.

6.) Now the camera will turn on, as long as there is NO card in the slot at all. If i ever try starting it with a card in, I have to remove the lens and card again and reinsert the battery.

I've tried formatting all my cards, replacing ML on the card that had it, putting ML on all 3 cards, using EOScard (checking the CHKDSK and BOOT switches) and still nothing. The camera won't start at all if there is a card in it.

I've checked out the SD card slot and everything seems fine... the error message seems completely random as I've had no issues with it before. I can't even start the camera with a SD card with the blink test on it to check.

Any ideas please? I'm struggling to figure out all this "bootable" card thing as well :(

Update: After taking it into Canon, it appears that the SD card slot requires replacement. Just thought this might be good reference in case it happens to anyone else. Quote below:

"Upon inspection found listed parts faulty and require replacement. Quote to dismantle unit, supply and fit listed parts to repair. Adjust the unit as required. Reassemble, clean, check and test all functions.

CG2-3308-000 PCB ASS'Y, SD

Labour $ 180.00
Parts $ 41.21
Sub Total $ 221.21
GST $22.12

Quotation Total $243.33"

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

deletedAcc.0021

Did you try clearing the settings from the canon menu's?

nytrojen

Just tried that now. Still won't boot with a card in :(

deletedAcc.0021

Will it boot with a formatted card (no ML or bootable)?  If not check, card presence switch and door microswitch. 

Also, try locking the write protect switch on the card and see if it will boot.

nytrojen

Just tried with a freshly formatted card - still no response. Camera seems to be dead with any card.

Also tried switching the write protect to on and no luck there either.

Both microswitches appear to be working fine - no debris or sticky behaviour at all. As soon as I start it up without a card in, the camera boots up fine, but once i open the card door and put a card in it becomes dead again until i do the whole lens/card/battery removal dance again.

Also, if i insert a card, but remove it again BEFORE i turn the camera on, it starts up fine. So it seems to be related entirely to the presence of a card - ie doesn't seem like a physical issue since the switches seem to be working fine

deletedAcc.0021

Damn dude ... sounds like an issue for the devs ... sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

1%

So doesn't work with any card inserted and its an ML issue? Make sure to try a formatted card with no boot flag... but sounds like something is wrong with the cards lot.

nytrojen

Correct - doesn't work at all with any card, whether ML is loaded, or freshly formatted. Have tried 3 different cards as well. Have tried removing lens, half-pressing shutter to discharge capacitors and all combinations of opening card slot, removing battery and removing lens and still no response, except if I remove the card the camera seems to start up fine (of course without ML).

Even plugging into USB only works if there's no card in the slot

nytrojen

Are there any other suggestions or should I just relegate myself to taking it in to Canon? :(

1%

Examine card slot closely, try to move the switches with a needle... then service.

nanomad

Just to be sure.. Put the card in a reader and run EOScard then upload a screenshot of the software with your card drive selected
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

nytrojen

Quote from: nanomad on May 12, 2013, 09:25:18 AM
Just to be sure.. Put the card in a reader and run EOScard then upload a screenshot of the software with your card drive selected

Hi. Here's the screenshot for macboot. It says that bootable=true, but still says it failed somehow? I've also checked on windows using EOScard and bootable seems to be true.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nanomad

Try uncheking the bootable flag in EOSCard, if it doesn't work then do a "not-so-quick" format in windows (i.e. uncheck the quick format option).
If it fails, trash the card and buy a new one
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

nytrojen

Hmm... I get the same issue with 3 different cards though, but I'll give that a shot

nytrojen

Alright here's a doozy!

If i turn the camera on without closing the SD card slot, then push the door close switch down, the camera starts up fine - and if i THEN insert an SD card, the camera can read the card! Of course, ML isn't loaded, because the camera couldn't start up WITH the card in there in the first place.

BUT if i press the info button it says that there's zero free space.

What should I do? Load Canon/ML firmware onto the card and try this trick and then try and update firmware?

deletedAcc.0021

Give it a shot .. but it sounds like your micro switch is on the blink

nytrojen

yeah that didn't work lol. The camera just gives an Err 02 message if i try and take a photo using the "card in after turn on" trick, and can't see the card at all for firmware update. Seems like unless the card is in when the camera is started up, it has no way of accessing it.

Guess it's just gotta go in to Canon. Thanks for the replies and suggestions though!