Manual focus HELP!

Started by Yuppa, May 10, 2013, 08:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuppa

Love Magic Lantern: brilliant.  My issue is...me.  I can't manually focus to save my life.  Sure, the focusing tools in ML are awesome, but my issue is turning the dang lens the wrong direction EVERY time. It's like a bad habit I can't break.  What I'd love is SOME super-easy-to-see assistance in that area (since the camera seems to know the right direction).  I have two ideas: one "way out there," the other, "not so much."

In a "way-out" world: direction and HOW much (wholly independent feature that uses maybe two arrow graphics—unless you can use one and flip it—of opposite directions, then repeats them based on out of focus travel.  It would have to compute focus travel, which no doubt varies lens to lens, and graphic usage).  The arrows would either fade or disappear as the lens is rotated (to show progress).

In a "not so much" world: direction ONLY (uses the Magic Zoom box and puts a red line on either side to indicate which direction to turn the TOP of the lens).  The red line would disappear once the lens is rotated.

In either case, I guess the center A/F point would be the reference.  As to whether the focus assist would update in real time or would require a button press (which would kinda suck) is beyond my pay grade. ;)

Keep up the great work!
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

a1ex

Technically possible only on 650D and EOS-M, if anyone figures out how to decode the PDAF sensors.