Can you process HDR video with FCP7? (Final Cut Pro 7)

Started by Petruk, May 09, 2013, 03:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petruk

I thought there was a way, but can't find any information online.

wshintani

Petruk

Well, I did read the manual. It offers advice on FCPX but is unclear on FCP7. But perhaps I am missing something.
The second link was interesting - it says there is NO FCP7 plug-in, but an odd workaround. It is buried deep in the comments thread, but I'll reprint here, incase someone else in interested:

FCP7 method

1. In the timeline, apply the Strobe effect (Duration: 2) to your source footage on v1. This will make v1 show the underexposed frames only (at half the frame rate).
2. Option-drag the video layer upwards to make a copy of the footage on v2.
3. Trim one frame off the front off the copy on v2, and move it back one frame to line up with v1. This will make the clip on v2 show only the overexposed frames.

How you then combine the two layers depends on your HDR method of choice – in some cases a luma key works:

4. Apply the Luma Key effect (Final, Key Out Brighter, Copy to Alpha, 20, 100) to v2 so that it only shows the bright parts of the image you want to overlay onto v1.

As I'm more of an FCP user than an HDR expert, you might want to search for other composition methods elsewhere on the internet.

Carmel said:
9 January, 2012
9:04 pm

Hi Alex,

thanks again for the workflow suggested to fcp 7.
It worked just fine with preparing the two layers.
What you suggested with LUMA Key Effect creates a "milky" kind of image.
If anyone working with FCP 7 has an idea to that one?
(combining the two layers).

Cheers!

Petruk

And after trying this method, the answer appears to be a two letter word:

No.