HDR video in a dark barn with a dolly move

Started by Petruk, May 08, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petruk

Folks,

My first post here.

I am going to be shooting a long dolly move in a dark old barn. I understand that I am limited to 15 FPS, so I will make the moves extra slow.

The barn is very dark but has a few windows where light streams in, very bright. Does anyone have suggestions on the best HDR settings? Obviously, I want to get detail indoors and see some details outdoors. I wonder if I would need to have ISO settings range from 100 to 3200 with the alternate HDR images.

kgv5

Actually you can have 17,5 fps with FPS override. On 6D in HDR mode i use 35 fps 1080p ALL-I and its perfect.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Francis

Take some photos and see what ISO you need to correctly expose highlights and then change to see what you need for the shadows. ISO 100 doesn't seem like it is going to add anything at all in that dark of a situation. In general you are going to want to stay within 2 stops or it will look crazy. Try 400 and 1600 or 800 and 3200.

Any light sources other than that door?

Petruk

Forgot to mention I am shooting with a 5d m2. Probably a 24-105 f4, though I have an old nikon prime 28mm which is 2.8

Petruk

I guess I am really trying to figure out is the workflow to get proper exposure for HDR video for a shot like this. If you had reading inside the barn of F4 ISO1600 with a shutter speed of 1/2 second, and if the reading out the door was F4 iso100 at the same shutter speed, how would you set that in the menu?

I suspect the exposure difference is even greater - out the door might be f16 iso 100 at 1/2 second.

Here is a better still shot