t3i clean hdmi output to 2.5 disk?

Started by goosefaba, May 06, 2013, 11:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goosefaba

I'm fairly new to cameras and completely new to this forum so I hope this isn't too obvious a question, but I've looked around and haven't found a clear enough answer to satisfy me yet.

I own a t3i and I happened to wonder if I could get a clear output via the HDMI to an external recorder such as the Atmos Ninja 2.

As far as I can tell, Magic Lantern supports the 600 D, and the firmware itself allows for HDMI output.

What I have not been able to find is confirmation from anyone who has actually used ML on a t3i and recorded onto an external HDD.

If anyone could clarify this matter for me with certainty I'd appreciate it.

coutts

afaik the 5d3 will be the only camera that supports clean hdmi out (with the new update from canon)

1%

Yep, old HDMI chip probably doesn't support 24P and mirroring... will have to see what they did on 5d3 and if its easy or a complete rewrite of stuff.

goosefaba

so just stuck with the built in h264 huh?

scrax

Quote from: goosefaba on May 06, 2013, 11:17:16 AM
I'm fairly new to cameras and completely new to this forum so I hope this isn't too obvious a question, but I've looked around and haven't found a clear enough answer to satisfy me yet.

I own a t3i and I happened to wonder if I could get a clear output via the HDMI to an external recorder such as the Atmos Ninja 2.

As far as I can tell, Magic Lantern supports the 600 D, and the firmware itself allows for HDMI output.

What I have not been able to find is confirmation from anyone who has actually used ML on a t3i and recorded onto an external HDD.

If anyone could clarify this matter for me with certainty I'd appreciate it.

yes with the clear overlay option in ML, but there is no mirroing (as 1% sad) so you have to split the signal some way I suppose since the display goes off when using hdmi
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

I mean its pretty overlay free (except black border)... just 1080i (probably 24P encapsulated in 1080i like HV20 or other HDV).

Seems like it would be recordable. I wouldn't split, just view "monitoring" / passthrough type output from the recorder

goosefaba

Wait, so you can record to an external via HDMI and you just crop the black border, but it's gonna be 1080i no matter what?