HDR Stills and 5D-MkII Bracketing Question(s)

Started by STexan, May 06, 2013, 05:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STexan

I'm a little in the dark about where to begin a ML auto-bracketing sequence in terms of the ideal camera settings and meter reading.

My goal is to shoot real estate interiors where you may have a few incandescent bulbs on, as well as some outdoor views through open windows.

What is the preferred metering mode?
I typically use 1.5 or 2.0 EV stops seperation, and fixed 100 ISO and 8-11 aperture on tripod but open to suggestions.  I have ML set to auto-detect to determine number of exposures.
Manual Mode or Aperture Priority?
Should you modify exposure compensation (up or down) any FIRST, before beginning the bracketing sequence?

i.e. Is there a technique to insure the bulbs and brighter points outdoors are not blown out?  I get the ML software takes a picture and looks at it to determine the bracketing needs but when beginning from a "correct exposure" setting, I still get blown hilites in a few areas I really don't want blown out.

Also, is it my imagination or does the bracketing sequence option selected (0,+,++ etc) affect how many exposures will be taken?

Thanks

engardeknave

I've found that the auto-detect feature creates not enough frames in Av mode but too many in Manual. After testing all the various real estate shooting configurations I've decided that just adjusting the exposure and taking the photos manually is easiest. Adjust the shutter to expose for the stuff outside the windows, then do a couple brighter and brighter frames until the room is exposed well (or close to it--it doesn't have to be that bright). Three frames is usually fine. Keep your eye on the RAW histogram.