6D - Best ISO in Video mode

Started by canonuser78, May 05, 2013, 07:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canonuser78

Hello there,
As a rule of thumb, the shutter speed should be the double number of frames per second as far as I know.
In order to avoid overexposure in daytime maintaining 24fps ,what kind of ISO values do you use on your 6D at wide open aperture f1.2 - f2.8, 1/50 shutter speed for example ?

Do you use any ND or CPL (or both) filters on you lenses at low ISO ,wide open aperture, 24fps, 1/50 shutter speed ?
Thank you,

1%

Low ISOs... you can even turn down the gain until you get pink highlights. After that its nd or close the aperture/increase shutter.

canonuser78

I understand but ,these things are linked :D
The "film look" can be achieved if you have these few parameters around 24fps, (1/48) 1/50 shutter speed ,of course we will want DOF so the aperture will have to be f1.4-2.8.

Having said that ,the ISO must be the lowest possible but not so sure how to approach the problem in order to avoid overexposure in daytime. Using low ISO's keeping the rest of the settings at the values mentioned above and/or using fader ND filters .

Now I just opened another box with monkeys because I have a 16-35 mm (82mm filter size) and using a ND filter sometimes could be pretty tricky ,vignette or uneven polarization effect may occur as we already probably know.

1%

You don't need to stick to that 1/48 unless you have spinning things.

noisyboy

Quote from: canonuser78 on May 05, 2013, 08:41:38 PM
I understand but ,these things are linked :D
The "film look" can be achieved if you have these few parameters around 24fps, (1/48) 1/50 shutter speed ,of course we will want DOF so the aperture will have to be f1.4-2.8.

Having said that ,the ISO must be the lowest possible but not so sure how to approach the problem in order to avoid overexposure in daytime. Using low ISO's keeping the rest of the settings at the values mentioned above and/or using fader ND filters .

Now I just opened another box with monkeys because I have a 16-35 mm (82mm filter size) and using a ND filter sometimes could be pretty tricky ,vignette or uneven polarization effect may occur as we already probably know.

To complicate matters more for you (although very much worth getting your head around), using iso's that are a multiple of 160 (160, 320, 640 etc) will give you less noise, particularly in the shadows. In theory this will give you less headroom in the highlights. To learn more you can read more about by looking through this old thread - again worth a read: http://forums.planet5d.com/threads/95365-Native-ISO-numbers

But basically, if you want to know which iso settings will give you more noise it goes like this - in assending order of erm... "noisyness":160, 320, 640, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1250, 125, 250, 500, 1000, 1600, 2500, 2000, 3200, 4000, 5000, 6400

Find out more by checking this test out: https://vimeo.com/23082874

Once you have your head around it it's pretty simples and helps a lot  8)

1%

Lets complicate it even more... those ISO tests are kinda old now. New sensor and different range of stops means we have to run ISO tests like that again for 5d3/6D and maybe even the lower tier like 650D/M.

In daylight though 100 - 200 is usually enough, if too much. I'm usually ending up at F/8+

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 05, 2013, 10:59:03 PM
Lets complicate it even more... those ISO tests are kinda old now. New sensor and different range of stops means we have to run ISO tests like that again for 5d3/6D and maybe even the lower tier like 650D/M.

In daylight though 100 - 200 is usually enough, if too much. I'm usually ending up at F/8+

Yup - what he said  8)

noisyboy

I must do some tests with this actually as I still haven't settles on what the highest iso I dare use is for decent video in low light. 7D was nothing above 1600 for me (neat vid always seemed to clean that up nicely) but as you can push the hell out of the 6D it would be worth knowing. As soon as I get a chance I'll do this and post my findings.

canonuser78

thanks guys for your recommendations,
true but as 1% said, those ISO tests are made on 60D (DIGIC 4) vs 6D (DIGIC 5+),there should be a difference .
Anyway, in conclusion : ISO 100-200 should be fine together with the above mentioned values wide open, 1/50 shutter speed, 24 fps.
Now I have to find out how to deal with the overexposure situations using fader ND or CPL will be enough (?!).

N/A

Yeah, I've shot in broad daylight with very shallow dof, try an nd8 and stack if necessary. But I think your bigger problem will arise from trying to follow your subject with such a shallow dof.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Malcolm Debono

I've you're a run & gun type of shooter (for example covering events or weddings) you'll appreciate how handy a variable ND filter is. Just set your exposure (1/50, f/2.8 or similar, ISO 160) and adjust exposure using ND.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Lakwaun

Just wondering was this test ever completed for the Canon 6D sensor?

davidrf

Ekam Sat