Less free memory+buffer errors after FPS Override

Started by marshallbaker, May 03, 2013, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallbaker

I have been using 32GB 30mbps sandisk ultra cards successfully for a long time in a T3i, and my T2i.  Using ML 2.3.

Recently, after discovering the FPS Override feature and using it a few times, I've noticed that both cards have less free memory than before. My T2i on auto-restart mode now has a 6-7 second gap between clips where as before it was only 2 seconds.  And worse, on my T3i, if I don't change the bitrate down to 0.9 (instead of 1.0) and disable on screen meters, it has buffer problems and stops recording every few seconds.

So 2 questions.  Why is this only happening on the cameras after using FPS Override, and what actually effects 'AllocateMemory' ?

On my T2i, 'AllocateMemory' is around 1970k,  and shows green,  on my T3i, it only shows 980k and the dot is red. Both still show around 334k on malloc.

I've tried every variation of formatting cards, re-installing ML etc... even taking the card from the T2i (where it still says it has 1970k free memory) and putting it in the T3i -  nothing works.  The fact that I've switched cards and the T3i still says the same amount of 'AllocateMemory'  leads me to believe that the camera's are permanently affected, and that a new card won't help.

Any ideas?

1%

Allocate bvram mirror to shoot_malloc and you get more memory... This is not a problem, you can set it to whatever when making a bin. AllocateMem is dynamically taken and freed too.

marshallbaker

None of that made sense to me.  How would I allocate anything? Where is that an option? 

As far as allocatememory being dynamically taken & freed, it doesn't change more than a few kb in size so that's not the issue. It worked before, now the buffer messes up and stops recording. Nothings changed other than using FPS Override a few times.

1%

The encoder writes to shoot malloc memory. Allocate is only like 3mb or so.

Sounds like audio on in fps override.

marshallbaker

You're missing what I'm saying. I'm talking about when I'm not using FPS Override.  I only used FPS Override a few times. The problems I've had have been in regular shooting mode, like I had always used, and have buffer/memory problems.

With FPS Override OFF, I'm having problems. With the way I've used the camera, I only bring up the FPS Override because none of the problems happened until I tried it out a few times.

marshallbaker

Just to be completely clear:  I used both my T2i and T3i since the release of ML 2.3 with no problems with memory, or buffer problems. I tried FPS Override on both cameras (successfully).  I went back to shooting NON FPS Override stuff like I always had, and have had nothing but memory and buffer problems since.

marshallbaker

Does transfer rate on the card (I.E. 30mbps, 45mbps, 90mbps) effect the amount of AllocateMemory ?

1%

Shouldn't. Maybe recording wav it would free memory faster... but this doesn't apply to normal canon stuff.

marshallbaker

Hmnn, well then is there a way to "dump" the memory or "reset" the memory?     For a non-programmer, regular dude that is.....

Francis

Have you tried using a different card other than these 2 that you've been 'using for a long time'?

Memory cards don't last forever.

marshallbaker

Yes, tried 3 different new cards in both cameras.  Both read the same amount of memory no matter what type (tried panasonic, sandisk, verbatim) all various class, speed and buffers.

Multiple uninstall/reinstalls, reformats in camera/out of camera (computer) etc.... It is like the actual memory of the camera has been effected.

Francis

You are really focused on the amount of memory available, but do you have a comparison to the amount available before using FPS override?

1%

Think of it this way:

You run AE on your computer are you confused why you suddenly have less free ram?

Run it all the time... must be a permanent change to your PC, suddenly it only has 8/16GB free whenever After Effects is running...get my drift now?

marshallbaker

Francis, I don't know the exact number it had before, but I know the dot next to the memory was green, not red like it is now.   

1%  I get your drift, but not your pissy attitude.  ML ran forever on these cameras just fine. Auto-restart with only a 2 second gap, showing audio meters, showing crop overlays etc........  For months, on different cards, never a problem.  I try FPS Override, and within days both cameras are #@#$ up.    So drop your attitude and offer advice, otherwise piss off.

What I need is genuine help, not attitude especially when your point is moot. BOTH cameras ran ML FINE until I tried FPS Override, not they are but messing up.  Obviously there is an issue weather you want to admit to it or not.

Francis

Try deleting the config file to reset all settings to default. Then turn on the features you normally use, 1 at a time, and record a test clip.

As clear as it seems to you that FPS permanently affected your cameras, it is clear to 1% that after 1 year of FPS override features and 10s of thousands of people using it, no one else has had there camera permanently altered by FPS override. Least of all the developers who push these cameras to the extreme in testing. If FPS override broke your camera, wouldn't it be obvious immediately, not 'within days.' There is something else that has not been revealed in this conversation.

Also asking for help and then telling someone who is responding to you to 'piss off' does little to help your cause.

1%

Especially amusing since FPS override has absolutely nothing to do with memory.

Its the same as it has been forever on 600D/550D/etc...

On next gen cameras it does have problems... like overheating, sensor defects, etc. On DigicIV I've run it all night at like .2fps and had no issues after.

I vote for delete config, bet a setting is on somewhere. Configs between cameras might cause problems too. Understand that you're frustrated.

deletedAcc.0021

Amazing .... the devs spend countless hours coding, even more answering questions that are clearly outlined in the manual, and unlocking features to make our cameras worth 3 times what we've paid for them, and you call them pissy ... WTF .. show some respect man, these dudes don't even get paid for this shit.

marshallbaker

You know why? Because it's the attitude of "Gee catch my drift?"    Which is disrespectful, pointless and unhelpful VS "try deleting the config file" 

Because that's something that I haven't tried.  Sorry, i am just frustrated. Paid shoots coming up and all of a sudden everythings $@#$#'d up.

Francis, thanks for the tip, I will try that.

marshallbaker

Deleting config didn't help. I'm about ready to smash these cameras.  Ugh. 

1%

Try a nightly... post a video of it happening?

Also card benchmark.

marshallbaker

1%

Another thing to try is no ML at all, non bootable card or holding set and turning ML off.