A smarter direction for the new RawDNG Development...Field Recorders

Started by hirethestache, April 28, 2013, 11:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hirethestache

I'm sure it's been discussed multiple times already, and I will admittedly say I have absolutely zero skills to bring to the table when it comes to actual developmental coding. With this said, the new developments on the silent Raw burst mode are truly a very exciting thing to come, especially for someone such as myself, who is a working unit stills photographer on sets.

In two days (April 30th), we will have clean HDMI output on the 5D3. Pairing this with field recorders such as the groundbreaking Atomos Ninja2 & Samaraui Blade, the 5D3 went up a notch in quality and possibilities. With that on the horizon & the news that ML is working on Raw DNG in burst mode, and my blood pressure escalated with excitement!

Industry figures like Luke Neumann immediately raved about the VIDEO possibilities that this brought to the table, on how we could do 24p RAW on our CF/SD cards...and thats where my skepticism came in.

Sure, our cards can handle burst mode before running into issues, but wouldnt a smarter direction for any future video implantation be with use of field recorders such as the Atomos Ninja2?

I think that should be the direction to take with this, as it is very realistic. There would be no issue with buffer time, and the transfer rate via Cat2 HDMI is "theoretically" something as high as like 10.2gbps, but more realistically 3.4Gbps.

Just some thought...I'd gladly be a guinea pig with my Ninja if someone wants to throw files my way. I've got a pile of 2.5" hard drives I could spare, and a few weeks before my next project starts.

Just a thought, as I'm sure its not nearly as simple as something like this...
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

Rush

We have uncompressed 422 silent pics for a very very long time and it is still not possible to output them with hdmi. So your idea to output RAW through hdmi looks impossible. And do you know any recorder, which can decode DNG RAW input? Ninja 2 can input up to uncompressed 10/8-bit 4:2:2, not RAW DNG 14 bit 4:4:4
Greetings from Russia!

fauxtographer

6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

1%

USB is slower than the SD card... I don't think they made cameras with USB 3.0 yet... maybe wifi but that seems to be the same speed as the SD.

a1ex

Already answered in the other thread, moving to general chat.

mariusmele

Why don't use the USB3.0 on the D800 pr the faster XQD cards of the D4?

1%