uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield

Quote from: bashi on May 26, 2013, 06:43:49 PM
And this is not changeable at all? If not, we have to live with it, if yes it makes sense to make it work.

For now I'm leaving the FPS override option on and doing a 103% time stretch in post.  It's at least close to good enough.

Yomommassis

I posted this in the 5d2 RAW thread but I felt this also applied to any of the cameras

after hearing about the new raw feature I was trying to find a cool practical use for it, and the big thing that came to mind was time lapses without adding shutter actuations

This test took 1 hour out behind my house, pretty dark aside from the full moon blasting the scene
5D Mark 2 May 20th build
640 ISO
T/1.5
FPS Override 0.178
RAW Video 1880x1250

I had to really adjust the color in post because the RAW kicked the magenta up a lot
Also had artifacts at the bottom of the frame

http://i.imgur.com/G1N6ya8.jpg

and there was this weird problem where every other frame was the first frame...
so instead of capturing 323 I actually captured 162

162 frame time lapse without adding any actuations
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Habitat

I really like this idea though. Battery life better or worse compared to a conventional time lapse?

platu

If you want to save shutter actuations, wouldn't it be better to just turn on the silent pictures option combined with the intervalometer?  That should essentially give you the same hight quality DNGs as the raw video option.  I recently did a timelapse that way for the same reason of wanting to save my shutter.

squig

Peeps if you're gonna quote someone don't include the video links in the quote.

I finally got a workflow going on the mac that actually works. I shot this just before I got it working, see notes on vimeo page about how to setup ACR.

Yoshiyuki Blade

lol @ the pissing ape :D

Great video. It seems to be one of the few I've seen that haven't been mangled *after* being captured in post. Lots of high frequency detail preserved, particularly noticeable on the animal textures (fur/skin) and the girl's striped cap (your daughter I presume?) It really shows the difference between the 5D3 and 5D2 too, even though my jaw still constantly drops by how good the 5D2 looks in RAW.

squig

I presume she's mine. It's a little mangled thx to ACR but I've got that sorted now. I shot mostly ISO multiples of 100 which are cleaner, I didn't denoise at all in ACR, just added some film convert grain to mask any FPN. Next time I'll expose a bit more to the left to control the highlights better. There's tonnes of detail, it looks too sharp with the default 25 sharpness on my 32" Samsung.

mvejerslev

Very nice video.

But I hate to say, using 4 year old raw software with my brand new 5D Mark Free is not going to be satisfying. Better to work with the CR team to nail the flicker issues :-)
5D Mark II, PC

squig

Thx. The new ACR build is a bit better but with a bit of work I was able to get an almost identical result, but sure Adobe can fix it.

ted ramasola

I'm testing build may 27 for 5d2 posted by a.d. -bfd891fe53ab.zip  and here is my observation so far.

The delete feature is a nice feature but currently it is very risky. Use with caution.

scenario:
Shoot several clips raw video, say clip 1 2, 3.
Go to ML menu>raw video menu>video file (this shows NO VIDEO FILE as default)
Click SET to show first clip, M0000000.RAW,
Say you want to delete 3rd clip so you turn the main scroll wheel to go to M0000003.RAW
then you ROLL down to select DELETE then press SET to delete video size but file remains but 0kb in size. This is ok for now, also note WAV file remains unchanged and not deleted.

But here is the risk,
While selection in still in DELETE if you happen to roll the TOP SCROLL WHEEL, the clips be DELETED 1 by 1. ! THIS IS RISKY as you think you are selecting the clips but in fact they are already deleted without warning.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a1ex

... that's why I didn't include it in the official repo.

When you use unofficial forks, please mention so. Or, better, post in the thread dedicated to that fork.

ted ramasola

edited my post to indicate who posted and the build file. Which is by a.d. may 27 : bfd891fe53ab.zip

I also posted already in the thread started by a.d.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Danne

There,s a delete feature now, that is amazing, gotta test it out. Alex, genius

*I didn,t understand this feature was a sidedish on some other firmware-version. I live and learn :).
Thanks again for your efforts
//D

a1ex

Don't use it, and don't blame me for the bugs introduced by others.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Danne on May 28, 2013, 09:02:21 AM
There,s a delete feature now, that is amazing, gotta test it out. Alex, genius

Read my post above post #1584 regarding this feature.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

5DanielMIII

Quote from: a1ex on May 28, 2013, 09:06:06 AM
Don't use it, and don't blame me for the bugs introduced by others.

Thank you for donating your time, Alex.
It is very generous of you! Don't waste your energy on all the "what about" people, and the growing crowd of people demanding their bug free ML software NOW!! They are impatience and unfortunatly have forgotten the skills of manners! (and some even the art of reading)

Thanks again, to all of you devs;-)
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

DjJuvan

I am dissapointed over CF Toshiba 1066x cards... they don't go over 100MB/s speed :(

You can record 1920x1080 without any problem, but it doesn't go over this, and you can't record at 50fps with such resolution.

I guess their cards aren't worth the risk :\

Or maybe the new ML builds handle this better?

squig

What did you expect? The Toshiba is about on par with the Lexar, there are no faster cards.  ::)

KMA_WWC

Quote from: squig on May 28, 2013, 10:22:38 AM
What did you expect? The Toshiba is about on par with the Lexar, there are no faster cards.  ::)
Well...I'd like to argue about "there are no faster cards." :) Hoodman Steel 1000X 64gb pulls of solidly up to 100mb/s and most of the time bounces between 108-116mb/s. Just saying ;)
Canon 5D Mark III

Audionut

Quote from: KMA_WWC on May 28, 2013, 10:36:59 AM
Well...I'd like to argue about "there are no faster cards." :)

There's nothing to argue.  Go complain to Toshiba about it.

Lets keep the discussion relevant, there's plenty of other threads about card speeds.

skotopes

Transcend 1000x 32 Gb card on my 5DmkII

Mei Lewis

Just had another though  if anyone is struggling with inconsistencies in Lightroom.

As Lightroom and ACR use the same RAW conversion engine (provided they are on the same versions of Camera Raw) you could get around inconsisten Lightroom highlight recovery by:

- Grade one DNG in lightroom,
- save the settings to xmp sidecar data (Ctrl-S is the keyboard shortcut on Windows, but it's in the menus too)
- close lightroom and open that dng in ACR lightroom settings should already be applied to it (brought across via xmp)
- synch this dng to all the others in ACR

1%

Quotethen you ROLL down to select DELETE then press SET to delete video size but file remains but 0kb in size. This is ok for now, also note WAV file remains unchanged and not deleted.

I found this about his bin when I was porting it... had it working and then naming changed so now it only deletes last file. He is overwriting the file instead of deleting and then trying to delete all the 3.7gb chunks his build makes. File browser can get past files anyways.

Shield

Quote from: Mei Lewis on May 28, 2013, 04:34:23 PM
Just had another though  if anyone is struggling with inconsistencies in Lightroom.

As Lightroom and ACR use the same RAW conversion engine (provided they are on the same versions of Camera Raw) you could get around inconsisten Lightroom highlight recovery by:

- Grade one DNG in lightroom,
- save the settings to xmp sidecar data (Ctrl-S is the keyboard shortcut on Windows, but it's in the menus too)
- close lightroom and open that dng in ACR lightroom settings should already be applied to it (brought across via xmp)
- synch this dng to all the others in ACR

Interesting, but Lightroom 4 doesn't do sidecar files as far as I can tell - but you can export the dng back to a dng and it'll save the metadata along with it.  Are you suggest we sync the series in Photoshop then?

Mei Lewis

Sync the series in Camera Raw - which is a separate program from Photoshop but comes bundled with it.

I've been using sidecar files with .CR2, not tried with DNG yet. Reading Adobe's site it works slightly differently for DNG. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS638E3AC9-A04C-4445-A0D3-F7D8BA5CDE37.html seems to say it should work the same, but with the metadata written into the DNG files rather than as sidecar files.