uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield

Quote from: squig on May 26, 2013, 06:28:28 AM
Ted said the internal audio is off by up to 4 frames if I recall correctly, that's on the MK2 but it's probably the same with the MK3.

We're not talking 4 frames though on the 5d3 - I'm talking like 1 full second.

pacman829

I'm curious to know what you were using to convert the color space to rec 709 , what program adds that icc?
5mkII User

Shield

Well, I've basically been up all night trying to get the audio sync working for the 5d3.  After much trial and error, I've found that about a 103% "time stretch" does a really great job.  It's between 103-104%; probably 103.2 would be damn near perfect.  Make sure you whack the end of the audio file off first before you do the stretch.
I tested this on a 4 minute clip and it's off by maybe a nanosecond all the way at the end.
Keep in mind this is with FPS override ENABLED, and set to 24p.  If I disable this, the video gets waaaaay ahead of the audio and then "catches up" and I lose even more sleep.  :)  Hope this helps someone who shoots without an external recorder.  Workflow = Adobe after effects CS6.

You can trim the furthest point of the wav file in your composition by hitting the "alt" and ] keys (will remove everything to the right).
Shawn

swinxx

i have tried to record a clip with audio enabled, the wav was then recorded onto the sd card, the filename was like the raw filename, e.g. m00001.wav
so, i have tied to open the wav with several programs, none worked?
can someone please explain how the audio recording works when record with raw?
thx.

g3gg0

"so, i have tied to open the wav with several programs, none worked? "

what does mean "didnt work" ? more details please.
you recorded in movie mode?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Shield

Quote from: swinxx on May 26, 2013, 01:24:42 PM
i have tried to record a clip with audio enabled, the wav was then recorded onto the sd card, the filename was like the raw filename, e.g. m00001.wav
so, i have tied to open the wav with several programs, none worked?
can someone please explain how the audio recording works when record with raw?
thx.

You have to put it on the timeline of your editor and remove the extra hours of data; shrink it down to be the same size as your video clip.  Or run it through an audio editor like Soundforge, Adobe Audition, or the free command line ffmpeg.  But it should at least have the same filename as your raw file.  Synching is a pain in the rear though.

Andy600

It would be nice if the camera could generate SMTPE timecode. Can a pico script maybe do this in parallel to recording raw video?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

N/A

Reaper is a great little audio program, powerful, fast, and lots of great tools. Or fcpx's re-time.

Ha, just looked at Reaper's site and noticed they added audio stretch markers.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

bashi

@Shield
this is the command to convert tiff sequence and wav to ProRes 422 with ffmpeg. Will do some more tests now if the Audio is in Sync.

dude

with the audi problem, you should give plural eyes a try. sure, it s not a perfect solution, but works pretty well

Shield

Quote from: bashi on May 26, 2013, 02:47:51 PM
@Shield
this is the command to convert tiff sequence and wav to ProRes 422 with ffmpeg. Will do some more tests now if the Audio is in Sync.

Sounds like you have a separate step in your workflow - I import the dng sequence directly into AE.  Let me know if your time is synched up.

Shield

Quote from: dude on May 26, 2013, 03:11:55 PM
with the audi problem, you should give plural eyes a try. sure, it s not a perfect solution, but works pretty well

If I had a good reference track I'd already be using pluraleyes to sync it.  The problem is when you're not using an external audio device and just the onboard audio.  It's either off in the beginning, the middle, or the end.  I've had longer clips where the audio was "ahead" in the beginning, ok in the middle, and behind towards the end.

bashi

No ae here, all open source  ;D  My workflow is Raw -> dng -> Tiff -> ProRes 422. Using DCRaw and ffmpeg. My goal is to setup a automatic system, where i put in the CF Card and hit one Button and end up with ProRes including Audio. Still having the Tiff if i need them.

I still get corrupted CF Card though, after Footer Save Error. Preety preety Bad ;-)

dude

Quote from: Shield on May 26, 2013, 03:15:07 PM
If I had a good reference track I'd already be using pluraleyes to sync it.  The problem is when you're not using an external audio device and just the onboard audio.  It's either off in the beginning, the middle, or the end.  I've had longer clips where the audio was "ahead" in the beginning, ok in the middle, and behind towards the end.

Oh ok, i understand. Did not know the whole track ist like unstable.

Would be cool to manage this inside the cam, since a external recorder (and even every equipment attached to the dslr) makes the run and shoot cams more like a lame elephant

mageye

Quote from: NedB on May 24, 2013, 09:55:13 PM
mageye: Right-click on imported sequence in After Effects, select Interpret Footage>Main. Set Frame Rate to 24.

To make this the default: Edit>Preferences>Import, set Sequence Footage to 24 (or whatever you want the default to be).

Cheers!

Personally I think that the audio issues that people are having deserves a complete topic of its own. I think when people are getting sync mismatch the above advice served me. After lots of investigation seeing that my audio was 'drifting' out of sync it was purely because I was not bringing in footage at the correct frame rate. It's already been covered a couple of pages back.

Make sure in the camera that you force 24fps (or whatever you want to work in) and that After Effects is consistent.

Yes this is a post subject and really should be in a post topic of its own. I am sorry to be continue posting on this particular topic but it seems people need to be able to address this.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

swinxx

so i managed to record a wav file which is indeed working after conversion to prores422hq.
and it is - as described - out of sync.
so, i found 2 possibilities in the menu - RAW Video and FPS Override - where it is possible to enable and disable seperate wav recordings.
i have recorded in 23,976fps and used that setting in post.

my settings are:
in the canon menu - photo: jpeg smallest possibility, 1920x108024p,
in magic lantern - raw Video enabled, 1920x1080, 23.976fps, global draw off, turned record seperate wav on in both menus.

how is it possible to manage the audio in sync recording?
has anyone recorded audio in sync yet?
thx

Griffleiste

I kinda get lost in all these new daily/nightly stuff. Is there anywhere some sort of changelog where you can see which interesting new features have arrived?

bashi

Audio Sync Wav (internal) with Raw Video is not working. I think there's something wrong with the Wav. VLC gives me length of over 1 hour for a some Minutes Recording. And it's not just offset but stretched too. Is it really 48000Hz?

1%

Re-save with audacity to get the right length.

bashi

Isn't this something that could and should be done in camera? imo clearly yes!

1%

mageye

I recorded audio internally (in camera) and externally (on my ZoomH2) simultaneously

I then recorded some RAW whilst both audio recorders were running

What I noticed is there was some mismatch in the two files. I will note that the pitch did NOT change. (so its not a sampling frequency issue)

When I aligned the two files (audio) in After effects it seems that there were added spaces of time and/or gaps in the recorded audio.

So this would make it impossible to synchronise the recorded wav file because sync would be in in some places but with just some audio cut out (or time added) would loose any sync you have.

The recording I made on the ZoomH2 did not do this.

I think there maybe something interrupting the recording process (maybe the buffering of so much RAW data!) and making it both unstable and more importantly unreliable.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

bashi

And this is not changeable at all? If not, we have to live with it, if yes it makes sense to make it work.

1%

dma memcpy somewhat fixed this issue on 600D. It could on 5d3 I guess.

Shield

Quote from: mageye on May 26, 2013, 06:42:45 PM
When I aligned the two files (audio) in After effects it seems that there were added spaces of time and/or gaps in the recorded audio.

I noticed this as well.