uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on May 24, 2013, 12:34:13 PM
The rolling shutter you are comparing is between the 5d and the 7d, that's not a valid test, full frame vs crop camera, even when if they had the same sensor.

Yes, its not the same cameras that's why I tested them both first with the same codecs so you can use as reference each of their angle of tilt then use those individual results as basis for the next one which uses raw on the other with the h264 on the other if there was a difference in their individual angles. Its result will tell you if there is a difference in RS angle between raw and h264 for the 5D alone. Not if there is a similarity between the 2 cameras. :)
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

JackDaniel412

squig

Quote from: bumkicho on May 24, 2013, 12:40:50 PM
Great to hear. I am assuming you set up your external audio to 48hz and set fps override to 24fps for this test, right?

Affirmative.

mageye

How can I get my 24fps RAW sequences to import into After Effects at 24fps and not 30fps?

My example is a sequence of 150 frames at 24fps should be a sequence of 6.25 seconds in length

What is happening is After Effects seems to be recognising the RAW(DNG) sequence as 30fps whatever it was recorded at

This means that my 150 frames translates to 5 seconds in length.

HELP!
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

NedB

mageye: Right-click on imported sequence in After Effects, select Interpret Footage>Main. Set Frame Rate to 24.

To make this the default: Edit>Preferences>Import, set Sequence Footage to 24 (or whatever you want the default to be).

Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

mageye

Quote from: NedB on May 24, 2013, 09:55:13 PM
mageye: Right-click on imported sequence in After Effects, select Interpret Footage>Main. Set Frame Rate to 24.

To make this the default: Edit>Preferences>Import, set Sequence Footage to 24 (or whatever you want the default to be).

Cheers!

YAY! You are a star. I have been messing around for something like two days and it took me that long to analyse what exactly was going on.

It also means that all of the visual sequences I have put together so far have been a little shorter than they should be and running a little overcranked!

Its amazing. That little nugget of information will enable me to synchronise my footage with audio and that is what I have been trying to achieve.

Again thanks. Lots! Also thanks lots to squig for the invaluable information about 'q' so I could actually set fps override! ;D :D :P
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Lars Steenhoff

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 24, 2013, 02:59:23 PM
Yes, its not the same cameras that's why I tested them both first with the same codecs so you can use as reference each of their angle of tilt then use those individual results as basis for the next one which uses raw on the other with the h264 on the other if there was a difference in their individual angles. Its result will tell you if there is a difference in RS angle between raw and h264 for the 5D alone. Not if there is a similarity between the 2 cameras. :)

Thanks for pointing that to me,  I understand what you tested now, seems the raw has a bit more jello, I just don't get how this appears.
the sensor is read out before both the raw and the h264 right ?

1%

H264 uses motion manager... I think this might be its purpose.

ted ramasola

@Lars,

In my observation, there is "visually" no difference in the behavior of rolling shutter in the 5D mkII between Raw record and H264.
If there is, it is very small.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

noisyboy

Mageye - you can ask questions regarding post processing here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0

JackDaniel412 - please post your work under share your videos board - not under the dev threads unless it's relavant. And no more of this double posting bizniz you cheeky devil ;)

Here endeth the moderation  8)

KMikhail

Hi,

Not sure if i should post it here, but... would you please add 800/400 to vertical resolutions and 1728 to horizontal? 1920*800, 960*400 and 1728*720 have a perefect 2.40:1 ratio. Besides, all of them are perfect multiples of 16.

Your work is much appreciated!

Levinson

Hello.

Thanks again for the awesome mods ML and other developers!!

Maybe my request is not possible because the RAW mod is still a module (but could be achieved if compiling myself - at which I'm no expert), but would it be possible to have ML remember the last used H & V resolution settings upon boot?

Thank you :)

Lev
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

vipmask

Shooting from a helicopter  "aerocrane" 8)

8620 frames
1920х1024 25fps! - scaling to 1920х1080
DNG http://yadi.sk/d/4qPQiKvf59S20
ML 18-05 "rw_over_test"
Flying camera in Russia

Stedda

Quote from: vipmask on May 25, 2013, 01:44:44 PM

8620 frames
ML 18-05 "rw_over_test"

GD you're brave... flying over water with a $3k camera on a RC Helo. I can't even hover mine! LOL
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

1%

Plus flying over the water like a boss.

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

vipmask

Quote from: Stedda on May 25, 2013, 02:04:55 PM
GD you're brave... flying over water with a $3k camera on a RC Helo. I can't even hover mine! LOL
It's not terrible if the technique is reliable :-) We have 7 years of flying over water and nothing :-) Now you can take on the RAW mark 3 and do not hang expensive Red Epic ;-)
Flying camera in Russia

Yoshiyuki Blade

Well, it's been about 2 weeks since I started fooling around with RAW and I'm still constantly amazed by the quality. My brain keeps telling me "this shady region should be clipped to pitch blackness so don't expect any details" but I still see everything and get surprised lol.

RAW is not just about the sheer quality and resolution increase either. I've been fooling around with other technical stuff, like IT8 targeting for increased color accuracy which is more flexible with RAW data. I still have a reflective target used for flatbed scanners. so it's not optimal and a hassle to avoid reflections. However, the results have been pretty darn good I think the colors are fairly representative with what i see with my eyes. I've also learned about color-managed video. All my frames are converted to Rec.709 (using this profile: http://www.color.org/rec709.xalter) instead of sRGB and encoded with the Rec.709 flags on in x264. Playback in MPC-HC with color management on makes everything look exactly as it should (at least, I think it does). Fun times with the new opportunities RAW gives us!

bashi

My first Post, so thanks to all devs and others for your work.

Recording Raw runs fine on 5d III, since i disabled Raw Photo and set Jpeg to S3 ;-) (no idea if the S3 does anything) I can even enable Overlay with Zebra, Focus, Histogram, Waveform and it still records fine in 1928/960. It however, in some cases, is not able to save Footer, usually if ran out of Buffer, but as well on ordinary video stop occasionally. Now, if this happens and i continue to record it usually is not able to save Footer for the following recordings. It happens as well then frequently that the Filesystem on the CF Card gets messed up - not read/writable by 5d III anymore - so renders card unusable in field! Have to reformat in mac then. This is bad, since i've got only one fast Card yet...

Another issue i have is Audio. I try since several hours to get the Recorded Wav from the 5D III in Sync with Video in ffmpeg. No matter what i set on camera 23.976/24.001 Frames or in ffmpeg vsync, async, audio offset, 23.976, 24 frames - the Audio always goes out of sync pretty badly even after 7-8 sec. It appears the sound is faster than the Video.
So my questions (to start with):

Has anyone in any software being able to Sync Audio (recorded in Cam to Wav) with Raw footage?
If so, where and what and how, you know?

is 5D III Wav recorded in 48000 Rate? Any way to set this in Camera?

I've noticed the Audio Length is 00:00:14.76 while the Video length is 00:00:14.50 (according to ffmpeg)...

And another one - Bitrate setting for 5d III H.264 is not working? Nothing happens with h264.ini (or how it's called..)

thanks
bashi

EDIT: I just see: ffmpeg to avi is in sync
ffmpeg -i %6d.tiff -i M0000000.WAV -acodec copy test.avi
but prores_kostya isn't...

EDIT 2: Forget the Audio thing, i think i solved it. Probably messed up some flags. This is working:
ffmpeg -i %6d.tiff -r 24 -i M0000000.WAV -async 1 -vsync 0 -vcodec prores_kostya -profile:v 3 -qscale:v 6 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -r 24 -threads 4 -strict -2 -y Audio.mov

dhilung

Quote from: vipmask on May 25, 2013, 01:44:44 PM

8620 frames
ML 18-05 "rw_over_test"

Awesome!
5D2 | 40D

squig

Quote from: bashi on May 26, 2013, 12:19:55 AM
My first Post, so thanks to all devs and others for your work.

Recording Raw runs fine on 5d III, since i disabled Raw Photo and set Jpeg to S3 ;-) (no idea if the S3 does anything) I can even enable Overlay with Zebra, Focus, Histogram, Waveform and it still records fine in 1928/960. It however, in some cases, is not able to save Footer, usually if ran out of Buffer, but as well on ordinary video stop occasionally. Now, if this happens and i continue to record it usually is not able to save Footer for the following recordings. It happens as well then frequently that the Filesystem on the CF Card gets messed up - not read/writable by 5d III anymore - so renders card unusable in field! Have to reformat in mac then. This is bad, since i've got only one fast Card yet...

I did an external audio sync test in FCPX on a 12min file and it synced perfectly. Make sure FPS override is set to 24/25fps and the frame rate in the Canon menu is set the same.

Changing the photo size frees up some ram for ML.

I'm just shooting with global draw off (don't need it) and recording 1920x840 (can do 1080) with no hiccups on a Toshiba 1066x card.

1%

Found where LV "work" memory is I think:

ROM:FF0EEEA0 ShootMalloc384M DCD 0x4D637352, 0x632E7267, 0 ; DATA XREF: smemTerm+14o

Everything checks there for free memory? So if you resize this pool it should respect it? Unlike rscmgr at initialization?

There is also smemSetCraw and memdump... I guess this writes to a file what is using memory?

Shield

Another issue i have is Audio. I try since several hours to get the Recorded Wav from the 5D III in Sync with Video in ffmpeg. No matter what i set on camera 23.976/24.001 Frames or in ffmpeg vsync, async, audio offset, 23.976, 24 frames - the Audio always goes out of sync pretty badly even after 7-8 sec. It appears the sound is faster than the Video.
So my questions (to start with):

Has anyone in any software being able to Sync Audio (recorded in Cam to Wav) with Raw footage?
If so, where and what and how, you know?

is 5D III Wav recorded in 48000 Rate? Any way to set this in Camera?

I've noticed the Audio Length is 00:00:14.76 while the Video length is 00:00:14.50 (according to ffmpeg)...

And another one - Bitrate setting for 5d III H.264 is not working? Nothing happens with h264.ini (or how it's called..)

thanks
bashi

EDIT 2: Forget the Audio thing, i think i solved it. Probably messed up some flags. This is working:
ffmpeg -i %6d.tiff -r 24 -i M0000000.WAV -async 1 -vsync 0 -vcodec prores_kostya -profile:v 3 -qscale:v 6 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -r 24 -threads 4 -strict -2 -y Audio.mov

I too am having trouble with the onboard recorded wav file synching up.  I realize someone replied to this talking about a 12 minute external recorder, but I'm talking about the internal audio that I need for reference, or when I don't shoot with an external recorder.
Will dig into this as well, and I'll try your ffmpeg settings.
According to Mediainfo, the recorded onboard mono .wav file is:
Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 768 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 4.39 MiB (100%)

For reference, the audio recorded with a non-hacked 5d3 is:
Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Delay relative to video                  : 42ms

Don't know if the "delay relative to video" means anything or not in the ML world, and I'm sure it's something they're aware of.

squig

Ted said the internal audio is off by up to 4 frames if I recall correctly, that's on the MK2 but it's probably the same with the MK3.

Shield

I don't understand either of these commands - what is %dt.tiff, and why output it to a .mov file?