uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Sound may be disabled by FPS override, check that.

Northernlight

Quote from: Northernlight on May 21, 2013, 09:30:32 PM
RAW video sure is exciting, partcularly for me making my living in the darkness! I have installed it on my 5D3, and it records really well @24fps using my 128GB Lexar Pro 1000x UDMA7 card.

BUT, the vertical banding on the stills captured with my camera worries me. In my opinion it is so bad, that it renders the whole feature useless!

The banding is so bad that it is not something you just get rid of using noise reduction. In a way I really hope it is something wrong with my camera, but I doubt it. Will post pictures later.

What on earth could be causing this banding?

Here are a few screenshots.  Overexposing does not help at all. I have lifted shadows and decreased highlights (which is the whole point of having bigger lattitude in DR), and I have added +20 clarity.

50% resolution full frame:

100% partial crop:

This is REALLY REALLY bad !! :(

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

platu

Quote from: a1ex on May 23, 2013, 09:38:31 AM
Sound may be disabled by FPS override, check that.

I had already checked that.  There are 2 repeatable scenarios which cause audio issues in H.264 video recording...

FPS overide is NOT enabled in either scenario...

Scenario 1
- Enable raw video mode with "Sync beep" option.
- Record raw video
- Disable raw video option
- Record H264 video... audio does not get recorded

Scenario 2
- Enable raw video mode with "Separate WAV" option.
- Record raw video
- Record H264 video... audio gets recorded but is distorted (sped up like chimpmunk)
- Record H264 video again... audio gets recorded normally from now on

I hope this helps.

dude

I noticed following (19th built):
Pressing 5x causes magenta stripes through the picture(on the display), 10x does not. But this only shows up like every 2nd time i use it.
And when i am recording raw, and disable it, the white (framing) square still is on the screen in liveview.
For raw processing, it s great if you already did photo raw processing with acr, pretty much the same and absolutely awesome!

Shield

Quote from: platu on May 23, 2013, 10:17:04 AM
I had already checked that.  There are 2 repeatable scenarios which cause audio issues in H.264 video recording...

FPS overide is NOT enabled in either scenario...

Scenario 1
- Enable raw video mode with "Sync beep" option.
- Record raw video
- Record H264 video... audio does not get recorded

Scenario 2
- Enable raw video mode with "Separate WAV" option.
- Record raw video
- Record H264 video... audio gets recorded but is distorted (sped up like chimpmunk)
- Record H264 video again... audio gets recorded normally from now on

I hope this helps.

I've just been removing the CF with ML on it and shooting H264 on my SD card for now.  When I don't want to do amazing raw video, that is.

1%

QuoteRecord H264 video... audio gets recorded but is distorted (sped up like chimpmunk)

On 5d3? 5d3 is using a couple of direct asif continue functions... on 6D audio using those was sped up too. Shouldn't be affecting H264 audio tho.

noisyboy

Quote from: platu on May 23, 2013, 10:17:04 AM

Sounds like a sample rate issue. Is the sample rate of your project the same as the sample rate recorded at?

1%

Remember that 1 build where playback was all fast? its like that.. if the recording continue is direct too then its going to be sped up and unfix-able.

haysuess

This was posted in the "Raw video on 5DMK2" thread, but I thought it was well worth mentioning in case it hasn't been seen by all.

If you have RAW selected as your photo type and record, say you get 100 frames at any given resolution and fps.

If you then change your photo settings to disable RAW and shoot only Small JPG, you'll get MANY more frames of RAW video.

It seems like there was 2-3 more *'s worth of buffer when I did this.

Benchmarks are the same, so it appears it just opens up some more buffer room.

In my tests, I went from 150-170 frames to 290 just like that! :)

aaphotog

Quote from: haysuess on May 23, 2013, 05:23:44 PM
This was posted in the "Raw video on 5DMK2" thread, but I thought it was well worth mentioning in case it hasn't been seen by all.

If you have RAW selected as your photo type and record, say you get 100 frames at any given resolution and fps.

If you then change your photo settings to disable RAW and shoot only Small JPG, you'll get MANY more frames of RAW video.

I have a Sandisk 16GB 600x card and leave my photo setting with RAW only. When I record raw video, my buffer doesn't go beyond 1 star. Mind you, this is with only a 600x, so I don't think disabling raw images would make it any better.

1%

Just look at shoot_malloc size to see if its doing anything. Sraw gives more memory on 600D, Ljpeg works on EOSM. Haven't found any way to get more memory on 6D.. only less.

Quotemy buffer doesn't go beyond 1 star.

This would not affect write speed.

aaphotog

Quote from: 1% on May 23, 2013, 06:22:31 PM
Just look at shoot_malloc size to see if its doing anything. Sraw gives more memory on 600D, Ljpeg works on EOSM. Haven't found any way to get more memory on 6D.. only less.

This would not affect write speed.
I thought the buffer gave an indication of how well your card was keeping up with the raw recording???

When you say sraw gives more recording, do you mean it allows more frames per space, or it allows the same amount of frames(and quality) but with less strain on the card?

Picture and Color

My latest! Comparing H264 Technicolor Cinestyle to ML Raw. Highlight recovery, curves tweaked slightly in Adobe Camera Raw. No other correction applied, and no post sharpening applied. Didn't touch cinestyle H264 footage at all because frankly, it's no longer pleasurable to tweak compressed footage. Camera settings were identical for each set of shots.

Shot on May 22nd build, on 128GB Komputerbay 1000x.

My write speeds have gotten slower with the May 22nd. I can no longer hit 70MB peak at all and struggle to maintain 64MB/sec needed for 1920 x 840. Most clips have at least one dropped frame. I use CF workaround which seems to help. Global draw fully off.

Vimeo is set to 1080p, so please give it a second to load and then hit fullscreen. The parrot shots and the clocktower shots are my favorites in terms of showing off the power of the extended DR and color corrective capabilities.

1%

Your card writes at X speed depending on frame size and other unknowns. The memory you have for the buffer changes from this so you can store up lets say 100 pics vs 60 pics, etc.

Ultimately disabling photo mode when in video mode will gain back more and then you'll be able to store extra frames before it stops/skips/dies, etc.

Lol, my write speeds are the fastest ever.

Picture and Color

I just tested this on the Mark III, and it seems to make a difference in my May 22nd build. I've never really past 70MB/sec peak on my 128GB Komputerbay (in actual recording) but now I'm seeing 72.5 MB/sec sustained in a test clip. CF card workaround on, global draw off, ex-Fat formatted card.

aaphotog

Ok, I have the Sandisk 600x 16gb CF. haven't had any issues recording. I can record until I hit stop without any dropped frames. I tried putting my image setting to SRaw and got a dropped frame in the first second of recording. I guess it has the opposite effect on me.

1%

Yep... look in the memory menu... on 6D sraw = less.

hini

Quote from: Northernlight on May 23, 2013, 09:46:29 AM
Here are a few screenshots.  Overexposing does not help at all.

100% partial crop:

This is REALLY REALLY bad !! :(

In my opinion this has nothing to do with ML.
And it is not the kind of noise you could fix with noise reduction.
I think your sensor needs a mechanical calibration.
Canon service can do that for you.
If you donĀ“t have money for service you could try adding some noise by shooting with higher iso.
hini
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? - W. Eugene Smith

stevefal

Quote from: Picture and Color on May 23, 2013, 06:59:33 PM
My latest! Comparing H264 Technicolor Cinestyle to ML Raw. Highlight recovery, curves tweaked slightly in Adobe Camera Raw. No other correction applied, and no post sharpening applied. Didn't touch cinestyle H264 footage at all because frankly, it's no longer pleasurable to tweak compressed footage. Camera settings were identical for each set of shots.

Shot on May 22nd build, on 128GB Komputerbay 1000x.

My write speeds have gotten slower with the May 22nd. I can no longer hit 70MB peak at all and struggle to maintain 64MB/sec needed for 1920 x 840. Most clips have at least one dropped frame. I use CF workaround which seems to help. Global draw fully off.

Vimeo is set to 1080p, so please give it a second to load and then hit fullscreen. The parrot shots and the clocktower shots are my favorites in terms of showing off the power of the extended DR and color corrective capabilities.

Notice hot pixels flaring on her zipper below the pendant at ~1:03.
Steve Falcon

Shield

So the resultant dng files are the same size too?  Have you tried jpg small?  I'm about to.

haysuess

Quote from: Shield on May 23, 2013, 08:46:07 PM
So the resultant dng files are the same size too?  Have you tried jpg small?  I'm about to.

Yes, it has 0 effect on the RAW recording, other than I believe freeing up more buffer memory, which gives you more frames. Granted, I don't think this helps you if you are already recording without running out of buffer room, but for those of us with slower cards, it can give another few seconds at least, which is a huge difference when I was only get 150 frames to start with.

Now for 10/12-bit to be implemented and my Komputerbay 64GB card to arrive >: )

nahua

Music video for the teen group EMKE shot over the weekend.  Using May 17 build on a Canon 5D mkIII.  No sound yet, so I did all syncing by hand.  That plus the current RAW workflow meant I spent a TON of time doing this.  But the image is great, there's no doubt about it.  I look forward to shooting more with the new builds.  Thank you again to the Magic Lantern Team!  Please check out the video and support your local teen music groups!

https://vimeo.com/66681135

noisyboy

Quote from: nahua on May 23, 2013, 10:13:32 PM
Music video for the teen group EMKE shot over the weekend.  Using May 17 build on a Canon 5D mkIII.  No sound yet, so I did all syncing by hand.  That plus the current RAW workflow meant I spent a TON of time doing this.  But the image is great, there's no doubt about it.  I look forward to shooting more with the new builds.  Thank you again to the Magic Lantern Team!  Please check out the video and support your local teen music groups!

https://vimeo.com/66681135

This doesn't go here dude. Please post under Share Your Video's (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=19.0).

mageye

Audio synchronisation with RAW? :'(

First of all I am so so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I am not sure where I should post this exactly? I just know that there are good people here that may possibly point me in the right direction. Again I apologise in advance.

I have now had several experiments trying to synchronise audio with the RAW video in post.

I am used to using the traditional method of recording audio on a external sound recorder (ZoomH2) and using a clapper board to get an audio/visual sync.

I have used this technique to get greatly improved sound when compared to the 5DMKII's inbuilt mic.

I have found it to be pretty reliable and with a visual cue (the clapper board) its pretty easy to align them in most decent NLE's

However I have tried aligning the separate audio with the RAW video and there is something that's not quite right.

A few days ago I just recorded some video with separate audio using clapper board and aligned them but in the video there was nothing else for me to see if the sync was staying in sync. I just made the assumption that everything was fine. Although I could never be sure exactly how good the sync was it just looked ok because all the sounds were happening off screen.

Anyway today I decide to test a little more thoroughly. I just set up a simple shot where I would use the clapper and then I would tap a little beat on a surface and obviously keep my fingers in the frame (so I could see if it was all in sync). I recorded a few takes of the same kind of thing with both RAW video being recorded and my ZoomH2 recording the sound.

I got them on the computer processed the RAW files and import them into After Effects. I then dropped the audio into After Effects and went in to align them. I aligned the sound of the clapper at the frame where the clapper shuts. This is something I have done numerous times before (with the old H264 video) and would usually be confident at this stage, that when I hit play everything will be perfectly (or very nearly perfectly) in sync.

Well this is not so. I am not sure whats happening. Where I have aligned the clap it's perfect but it seems that it must be drifting.

My only conclusion is that there is some mismatch somewhere in the timing of the two. The problem is where would that be?

One thing I would really like to know is that should the 23.976fps be processed as 24fps? (I have tried both and they both drift somehow).

In fact this one has really got me because I can't seem to get the sync whatever I do?

I am wondering maybe if I will have to do a slight pitch shift on the audio or maybe some kind of re-conform of the video. I don't want the additional processing involved but if I could somehow get some workflow that 'worked' then maybe that would help?

I must say at this stage I am lost with this one.

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience of audio synchronisation with the RAW footage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7