uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

@coutts - That's amazing. To my eyes the 40d beats the 50d for photos even though it's 10mp as opposed to 15mp. It will be interesting to see what it can do with raw video if it's possible and they are amazingly cheap now >200 euros

I wonder what the LV frame size is?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Lower sensor density = better I guess.

UNiWB is working perfectly and write seemed to speed up. No more need of push WB or autoWB,etc. With the auto ETTR just need M mode. There should be some iso limit tho... I had aperture turned down from shooting outside and it pushed me up to 256K.

swinxx

Strange.
I tried a 64gb komputerbay card with my 5d mk3. Had 97mb/s in the benchmark with a buffer 27mb. Great result. Then i recorded with 1980x1152 - great! No skipped frames.
Then i played a little bit with the different menus.
Suddenly write speed was only 65mb/s???
So i recopied the 22may build on the card. But no change.. I have disabled nearly everything except raw..
What can i do now..? I can only record 17 frames.??
Please help.. Thx

haysuess

Quote from: swinxx on May 22, 2013, 04:54:50 PM
Strange.
I tried a 64gb komputerbay card with my 5d mk3. Had 97mb/s in the benchmark with a buffer 27mb. Great result. Then i recorded with 1980x1152 - great! No skipped frames.
Then i played a little bit with the different menus.
Suddenly write speed was only 65mb/s???
So i recopied the 22may build on the card. But no change.. I have disabled nearly everything except raw..
What can i do now..? I can only record 17 frames.??
Please help.. Thx

This sounds similar to my situation. My benchmarks used to be 45-55MB/s write speed, all of a sudden, they are now ~30MB/s no matter what build I use. I'm using a 400x Transcend 32GB on a 5D Mark II. Global draw off. I can't even do 1280x720 at 24fps for more than 150 frames.

weigertj

I created a 5D MK III raw video group on Vimeo. There are already 120 videos in the list and always updating. Please feel free to join:

https://vimeo.com/groups/192344

Samir

Hi Team. First off thanks to the Magic Lantern team for breathing new life into our cameras.

Now a question. I've noticed a 2 pixel black border to the left of all of my RAW frames. Is there an option around this. The max my CF card will record is without sound 1920x1080p. I tried the 1928x1080p with the intention of cutting it out in post but that option only gives me a few frames before it stops recording. Am I doing something wrong or is that border there until this is out of Alpha?

mjneubrander

haysuess I was having the same issue. Take a look back at
Quote from: mjneubrander on May 21, 2013, 09:24:12 AM
I was also able clear the 145 frame issue using the files from below. And starting a zoom raw rec from any C1, C2 ,C3 modes but not the M mode.
No clue what causes this, but this voodoo process cleared it for me.
Made a ML card using the files in that post.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: haysuess on May 22, 2013, 05:11:27 PM
This sounds similar to my situation. My benchmarks used to be 45-55MB/s write speed, all of a sudden, they are now ~30MB/s no matter what build I use. I'm using a 400x Transcend 32GB on a 5D Mark II. Global draw off. I can't even do 1280x720 at 24fps for more than 150 frames.

I have noticed a slight decrease in card performance in 5D3 with May 22nd builds.  On all cards but not as significant as reported above.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

5DanielMIII

I just tested the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 gb rated at 90m/s

*A quick CrystalDiskMark test gave me a number of 92 Read and 85 write speed
*In ML 1920 x 1080 Raw record it won't go higer than 82-83.

Then I tried the Lexar 64gb 1000 x rated at "up to 150" read and "up to 145" write.

*Same CrystalDiskMark test gave 120 read and 103 write.
*In ML 1920 x 1080 Raw record it is the same at 82-83.
But when trying to do 1920 x 1280 I still only get 82-83..

Sugestions?
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

deleted.account

Quote from: 3pointedit on May 22, 2013, 09:45:35 AM
y3llow, why would you need to do temporal NR on a RAW sequence? There is no inter-frame referal of data?

By "no inter-frame referral of data' you mean because it's not "video"? Every frame refers to each other as it's in motion, we view it in motion? :-)

By temporal NR I mean that the NR tool does motion analysis, creates vectors and the noise reduction algo's check frames backwards and forwards, maybe just a couple each way, maybe 10 or 50 each way depending on processing power.

The algos attempt to establish what over time it assumes to be detail, noise, high frequency jitter and shimmer and sets about reducing it based on users set parameters and the movement or lack of movement in the noise.

Noise reduction in singular image processing is a subjective and visual process, we adjust the sliders, we decide on the parameters for a single image, until we're happy with it, at the point that a balance is struck between noise and detail.

But at 24fps we're going to need something a bit more than profiling the camera and creating a dark frame.

I think noise reduction is best done in a number of small increments targeting specific problems whether it be fixed noise, shimmer, flicker whatever. And then the adding of controlled levels of noise back in to avoid banding.

Really don't see how anything other than a temporal approach would be beneficial.

IliasG

Quote from: y3llow on May 22, 2013, 09:27:32 AM
Pattern noise removal would be dark frame subtraction?

Any noise reduction for raw video would be best done temporal and possibly with motion compensation.  So basic spatial and or dark frame in raw then temporal noise reduction, luma sharpening etc either in image sequence stage or during video edit / grading stage if chosen raw wrangling apps don't support temporal noise reduction.

I think the first that can help to fight any "Channel imbalance" (which is the the main reason for this banding or pattern noise) is measuring the Black Levels per Channel and write them at the related exif tag.  Then use this info to normalize ...

sergiocamara93

Neat Video works great with 5D3 RAW (also with H.264), it provides temporal NR and keeps detail pretty well. Though I would only use it if you have a lot of fixed pattern or visible color noise, the regular RAW grain can be taken care of with ACR's luminance noise slider.
5D Mark III

Limiter

Quote from: weigertj on May 22, 2013, 05:17:47 PM
I created a 5D MK III raw video group on Vimeo. There are already 120 videos in the list and always updating. Please feel free to join:

https://vimeo.com/groups/192344

Hey weigertj,

thx for creating this group, just browsed though some of the videos... Unbelieveable!!

Magic Lantern has done a BIG thing here.. OMG  :o

Time to sell my 5D 2 and get a M3 instead..  :P (+ a fast CF card)

I'm hoping for a ML release where 1080p25 will be possible stable and with user friendly menu etc..

I have also big hopes for the CF->SDD project, keep it going guys!  8)

Just had to get this off my chest  ;)

haysuess

Quote from: mjneubrander on May 22, 2013, 07:00:59 PM
haysuess I was having the same issue. Take a look back at No clue what causes this, but this voodoo process cleared it for me.
Made a ML card using the files in that post.

Looks like that post is for 5D Mark III, I have a Mark II. I will try other modes besides M though and see if it makes a difference.

Dunc101

Really nice comparison video for RAW and H264: https://vimeo.com/groups/192344/videos/66738132

Shows you why you need Raw!!!

bronson

5D Mark II / Raw Video : Test 1000mm with x5 Liveview

Canon 5d Mark 2
Sigma 150-500mm
Canon Extender EF X2

Magic lantern (Build May 22th)

Habitat

Will we ever be able to consolidate the audio with the clips (maybe within the raw file) or is that impossible?

carmstrong

I have the may 19 alpha build on my 5d3 - works great. The only thing I am trying to figure out is why it will not let me shoot larger than 1928 w, 1288 h -

If I try and make the width larger, ex: 3592 - the dialogue says "can't do 3592"

Anyone know what Im missing?!

squig

it's a safety measure to prevent your camera from exploding  :D

1%

Try zoom mode or call canon and tell them to make a 2k+ image in regular mode.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: carmstrong on May 23, 2013, 02:26:54 AM
I have the may 19 alpha build on my 5d3 - works great. The only thing I am trying to figure out is why it will not let me shoot larger than 1928 w, 1288 h -

If I try and make the width larger, ex: 3592 - the dialogue says "can't do 3592"

Anyone know what Im missing?!

You can get access to those resolutions in cropped mode. 
Some instructions here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

vstrglv

Quote from: bronson on May 23, 2013, 12:20:44 AM
5D Mark II / Raw Video : Test 1000mm with x5 Liveview

Canon 5d Mark 2
Sigma 150-500mm
Canon Extender EF X2

Magic lantern (Build May 22th)
Do you get 1920x1078@25 for full and 1880x840@25 for 5x zoom on 5D2 without drop frames?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

MrEdmondDantes

Long time since my last post, but I've been experimenting with all this RAW stuff and it's obviously incredible.  I shot about 30 gigs of stuff today, so I'm gonna spend the next couple hours seeing how beautiful it is tonight.  I've been pretty lucky in the 4 or 5 builds I've installed.  No real problems - other than a few hiccups people have mentioned.   I have the May 22nd build on there now, and here are a few things I've noticed (that don't bother me, but might be useful to know):

1.  When hitting the "Magnify" button, the screen turns pink and temporarily freezes 95% of the time.  Only once or twice did it not turn pink and noisy for a few seconds.  It almost always clears up after about 1.5 - 2 seconds.  This does not happen when going from 5x --> 10x, or from 10x --> 1X.   Only from the initial first zoom. 

2.  Occasionally, after the pink "jam" screen vanishes, there will be vertical green/pink lines left over that take about 3 or 4 seconds to slowly fade away - always near the center/right of the frame.   It's never frozen my camera or caused a problem.  It does slightly worry me, but I'm sure it's fine.

3.  As others have mentioned, the sound is disabled when you turn off raw mode and try to record h.264 video.  I think this might be a feature though, and I apologize for not researching more.  I've not searched the forums for a fix because it doesn't affect me at all.  I wasn't shooting audio today so I didn't care. 

Besides that, everything has been going great.  This is really a game changer.  I have a SanDisk 60MB/sec, a G-Monster 50MB/sec, and a 64GB 1000x Komputer Bay that I lent to a friend who wanted to install this before me that I'm getting back Friday.  I'll be doing a lot of tests with that bad boy over the weekend - I'll post back here when I finish. 

platu

Quote from: MrEdmondDantes on May 23, 2013, 08:58:43 AM
3.  As others have mentioned, the sound is disabled when you turn off raw mode and try to record h.264 video.

I just noticed this as well.  Was working in previous builds.