uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sergiocamara93

Quote from: zachnfine on May 20, 2013, 12:41:01 AM
I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe somehow ML is taking over to such an extent that the Camera OS doesn't know there's activity going on, so it goes to sleep? It happens every time.

Look if "Power saving" is set to "Disable" on Canon menu. If it is, that shouldn't happen.
5D Mark III

silvertonesx24

Quote from: rs555 on May 19, 2013, 09:08:05 PM
On my 5d2: when I run it at 1280x1080 it seems that the recording area (white rectangle) is not at the center position when an external monitor is attached via HDMI. Might just be a display problem...

Same thing here

moomilk

Quote from: payne on May 19, 2013, 11:08:19 PM
We need to make sure and have a 60D thread when it's time. I am under the impression that the 60D will have the same power and bottlenecks as the 600D. Isn't this correct? Many people bought the 60D for the video at the time as it had the nicer build quality than the 550D and the articulating screen.

It seems like 60D as well as the 550D\600D will be maxed out near ~1280x400, while 650D is already reported to work fine at 1280x540.
I really hope the great ML developer team will make 50D the best entry level highres RAW video DSLR soon.))

swinxx

Canon 5d Mk3 RAW Video shot with Iscorama 36 Lens

squig

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on May 19, 2013, 05:11:16 PM
I was messing around with the audio + video recording and had trouble syncing it up. After a quick search, I found that this was a general issue with ML's audio recorder ever since it was introduced, and that 1% investigated it for a bit. I wonder what's going on here. Even if I adjust the sample rate to some arbitrary value to sync it up perfectly, I don't think it'll guarantee sync at other parts of the clip. Testing the video frame rate with a stopwatch showed that it stays smooth and steady. Is there some kind of syncing process that happens in real time for normal recording? That might be why recording with audio on cost such a huge amount of overhead versus recording it separately lol.

Ted was testing it and said it's consistently off by 4 frames.

zachnfine

Quote from: sergiocamara93 on May 20, 2013, 12:44:34 AM
Look if "Power saving" is set to "Disable" on Canon menu. If it is, that shouldn't happen.

I'll check that setting when I next try. If it fixes it, I'll add that to the list of settings I have to double-check or change before recording.

For what it's worth, raw2dng.exe is unable to convert my 5.16Gb raw file to dng, comes up with "this ain't a lv_rec"... error. So I'd guess maybe no footer was recorded to the file due to the sleep/shutdown.

Kabuto1138

Hey Guys,

Have any of you experienced color shifts halfway through a clip with the 5d2?

haysuess

I tried the May 19 build on my 5D Mark II, and I can only get 155-185 frames at 1280x720 @ 24fps on a Transcend 400x 32GB card, even with Hack3d mode.

I know the card isn't the best, but it should only need 36.9MB/s for these settings, and my card benchmarks around 45-50MB/s. I feel like I'm getting way less than I should, anyone have any other ideas?

5DanielMIII

I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

nahua

Quote from: sergiocamara93 on May 20, 2013, 12:44:34 AM

Yes I was having this problem too.  During recording I thought it was the hack crashing my camera.  But it happened during playback too which is strange.  I looked at power saving and it was set at 1 minute.  I changed to disable and it's fine, I can record long clips.  Just remember that it will stay in live view mode continuously, so don't point your camera at the sun otherwise it'll burn the sensor out.  LOL

nahua

Quote from: Mayo on May 19, 2013, 01:26:17 PM
Hey guys,

First, congratulations on the breakthrough: it's mindblowing, I feel like Darius Khondji  8)

However I do have the same battery draining (when camera off) problem as nahua below, on 6D. This is fairly worrying... anyone else having this problem? Devs?

Cheers, and thanks again for the great work.
Yeah my 5D mkIII battery drains real fast.  I have the battery grip with 2 batteries.  After an hour my batteries are around 40%.  They aren't that old, and I don't remember them draining so fast with the H.264 recording.  I do think this has to do with live view on all the time and also constant recording to the CF cards.  In any case, I think I need to get more batteries. Another thing, my camera is still "working" - LED blinking - even if it's off.  So I pull the battery every time I put my camera away just in case.

budafilms

Quote from: nahua on May 20, 2013, 09:10:43 AM
Yeah my 5D mkIII battery drains real fast.  I have the battery grip with 2 batteries.  After an hour my batteries are around 40%.  They aren't that old, and I don't remember them draining so fast with the H.264 recording.  I do think this has to do with live view on all the time and also constant recording to the CF cards.  In any case, I think I need to get more batteries. Another thing, my camera is still "working" - LED blinking - even if it's off.  So I pull the battery every time I put my camera away just in case.

Yes, the hack result the same problem for me. I am looking for a more stable realease. The problem is in the compiled May 19. Do you know an stable one?

a1ex

I doubt the battery drain is higher than with Canon firmware. See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1573.0

Measurements please, not speculation.

PressureFM

Quote from: haysuess on May 20, 2013, 03:42:18 AM
I tried the May 19 build on my 5D Mark II, and I can only get 155-185 frames at 1280x720 @ 24fps on a Transcend 400x 32GB card, even with Hack3d mode.

I know the card isn't the best, but it should only need 36.9MB/s for these settings, and my card benchmarks around 45-50MB/s. I feel like I'm getting way less than I should, anyone have any other ideas?

I can easily do 1200-1300 frames on my Transcend 300x 16 GB card at 1280x720@24p, so try a different build.

denmarkdavis

Quote from: platu on May 18, 2013, 11:49:15 AM
I get similar speed results as you with my 128.  I have written about this issue here and on Cinema5D.  Bottom line, the KomputerBay 128s seem to be slower then the 64s.  Cinema5D has assured me that their 128s are fast so they just might have been lucky with theirs.  EOSHD was using 64s for his tests.  Most current reports of the 128s are benchmarking around 70MB/s.

To add: My new Komputerbay 128 1000x is writing at around 67mb/s... Trying to send back to try a 64gb.

weigertj

I am thinking, whether it is possible with the 5D MK III using both a CF and SD card at the same time to record every third or fourth frame only on the SD card? The filenames would be the same, thus uncompressing could easily go to the same folder. This way we could reach a 120-130 MB write speed with the fastest cards at the moment (80-90MB/s CF + 40 MB/sec SD).

Anyway, kudos to the Magic Lantern Team! 

1%

So with memory chunks I'm thinking this:

Are the chunks even on 5dIII? 6D lost speed by allocating all memory and I think I have a theory as to why.
The chunks are all uneven now and the smallest chunks are getting used first. When it was ordered the other way small chunks were at the end. Now when buffer 1 or 2 is blinking and that chunk is lets say 27MB the card either needs 2 chunks to write at 31MB or is just writing at 27MB and being inefficient.

Thoughts?

KMA_WWC

Here is my take on ML 14bit RAW hack. Used 5dIII with Hoodman Steel 1000x 64gb card. Please let me know what you think. #NonCatDogFlowerWindowVideo

http://vimeo.com/66555717
Canon 5D Mark III

deknk12

With a SanDisk 16GB Extreme 90mb/s card, I hit the 4gb file size limit at 1880x880 and 1880x720 with global draw off.

Now, if I could only get the DNG out of that file...

Quick sample:

https://vimeo.com/66530384

haysuess

Quote from: PressureFM on May 20, 2013, 11:37:51 AM
I can easily do 1200-1300 frames on my Transcend 300x 16 GB card at 1280x720@24p, so try a different build.

I've tried every build so far. The amount of frames I can get is always in the 185 range. With no sound, global draw, and with Hack3d mode on.

I think I'll have to get my hands on a new card and see if the one I have is just bad for some reason.

mageye

I do apologise. More flowers :(

RAW Test - KomputerBay Professional 32GB 1000x CF UDMA7 - Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RBt9nvER--o
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

DjJuvan

Maybe a stupid question, which could be answered already somewhere but I didn't notice.... Why can't I record more than 1920x1288? Even if I can't on 24fps, I could lower framerate and make timelapses at bigger resolution?

Thank you ^^

Vegandelight

Quote from: DjJuvan on May 20, 2013, 08:36:52 PM
Maybe a stupid question, which could be answered already somewhere but I didn't notice.... Why can't I record more than 1920x1288? Even if I can't on 24fps, I could lower framerate and make timelapses at bigger resolution?

Thank you ^^

Use either 5x or 10x zoom mode, then you can choose higher resolutions. But that mode crops the sensor output.

mattmvpmedia

Here are a few shots from a prison ministry outreach event held this last Saturday, May 18 at Salinas Valley State Prison in California. Prison Fellowship brought in a team of more than 30 volunteers to minister to inmates in the level 4 maximum security area of Salinas Valley prison. It was a great day.
I shot just a few shots that day in raw as a test. Shot in 960x500 resolution raw on a Canon t3i (600D) using Magic Lantern firmware. I did get some frames corrupted with magenta blocking and tearing, but not too bad. I edited out those frames for this video. Lens: Tokina 11-16mm F2.8. ISO: 200 Aperture: F3.2. Genus Variable ND filter. Sorry the sound doesn't match up - I used sound recorded earlier in the day on a Zoom H4n and used it with these clips.
Workflow - I used dng2raw from Magic Lantern to convert the raw files to dng files on my MacBookPro. I opened the dng files in Adobe Photoshop CS 5.5, applied basic settings, and saved as TIFF files. Opened the image sequence in Quicktime 7. Exported as ProRes HQ movie. Edited the ProResHQ movies in Premiere Pro CS 5.5, exported as a ProRes HQ movie, uploaded to Vimeo.

zachnfine

Quote from: zachnfine on May 20, 2013, 02:00:02 AM
For what it's worth, raw2dng.exe is unable to convert my 5.16Gb raw file to dng, comes up with "this ain't a lv_rec"... error. So I'd guess maybe no footer was recorded to the file due to the sleep/shutdown.

I looked at the 5.16Gb raw file in a hex editor (hexfiend), and it definitely has a footer. I also tried overwriting its footer with that of a known working raw file, but raw2dng.exe still gave me the "ain't" error. If anyone would like to take a look at the original raw file to see if they can figure out why it can't be converted to dng, I've shared it from my dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaxl01lptoqbywp/plants-exfat-nolvrec.RAW