uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lourenco

Quote from: Danne on May 18, 2013, 04:57:04 PM
Will these replacements files give more than 4gb recording-time for each clip?

It is possible to record past 4GB. This should be the correct one. I modified the version 1% made.  The over 4GB raw movie file will only convert in linux with raw2dng. I cannot manage to make the windows version to work. This will stop recording when card is full or when the user decides to stop recording.
raw_rec file https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32eDZEbXh5cnZQSTg/edit?usp=sharing

The memory card must be formatted as exfat given fat32 has max file size of about 4GB.

I will post new build and newer modified version of raw_rec later tonight when I have time.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

KahL

This is an overprocessed image, but I wanted to test it from Andrew Reid's 600D raw samples.
It's a 960x480, 240dpi resolution image. And when upscaled to 1920 horizontal resolution, it almost totally emulates the clarity of super 16 film!

a1ex

Warning: disabling the 4GB checks will result in corrupted files on FAT32 cards, if recording stops automatically.

1%

Yea, nobody should be using fat32 for over 4gb. Glad its just corrupted files... I assumed >4gb would corrupt the whole card.

ashtrai

Quote from: KahL on May 18, 2013, 06:02:29 PM
This is an overprocessed image, but I wanted to test it from Andrew Reid's 600D raw samples.
It's a 960x480, 240dpi resolution image. And when upscaled to 1920 horizontal resolution, it almost totally emulates the clarity of super 16 film!

In what way did you process this?

AndreasK

Would it be possible to change the RAW2DNG converter so that it writes cinemaDNG files instead of DNG (foto) files? So that Davinci Resolve can read it?

Andy600

I like the fact that I can basically shoot psuedo-Super 16 but I'm experimenting with upscaling methods for lower res 600d DNGs and I'm finding it's best to batch upscale first in PS and not do it in AE (or your NLE). I'm also looking into algorithms. Bicubic is best for upscaling. Not sure what PS uses but I'm gonna try OnOne's Perfect Resize. It might cause weird artifacts though as it processes each shot independently.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Kabuto1138

Has anybody tried the Toshiba 1066x yet?

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Yea big difference when uprezzing in AE vs selecting the bigger file in PS. WTF is ae doing? And it won't let you choose a diff size in ACR like PS does.

KahL

Quote from: ashtrai on May 18, 2013, 06:16:10 PM
In what way did you process this?

Well the POST work is my own private cocktail, and that's not the complete setup either.
But the DNG file was imported into photoshop, changed horizontal resolution to 1920 and then added some sharpening. They probably won't resolve very well beyond 1920, but like super 16, this is a great choice.

Steven

Is 25p recording actually enabled?

It would be interesting to be able to start raw recording to the cf card and h.264 proxy recording to the SD card simultaneously with the dedicated canon start video recording button.

Vegandelight

Quote from: Steven on May 18, 2013, 08:15:55 PM
Is 25p recording actually enabled?

It would be interesting to be able to start raw recording to the cf card and h.264 proxy recording to the SD card simultaneously with the dedicated canon start video recording button.

Just set FPS Override to 25 fps afaik.

Picture and Color

I'm struggling to even complete files in 1920 x 840.

I wonder if I can format the card in a different way... perhaps it's writing blocks fragmented. Is formatting using EOScard or Macbook sufficient?

Quote from: platu on May 18, 2013, 11:49:15 AM
I get similar speed results as you with my 128.  I have written about this issue here and on Cinema5D.  Bottom line, the KomputerBay 128s seem to be slower then the 64s.  Cinema5D has assured me that their 128s are fast so they just might have been lucky with theirs.  EOSHD was using 64s for his tests.  Most current reports of the 128s are benchmarking around 70MB/s.

sergiocamara93

Quote from: 1% on May 18, 2013, 06:40:13 PM
Yea big difference when uprezzing in AE vs selecting the bigger file in PS. WTF is ae doing? And it won't let you choose a diff size in ACR like PS does.

PS actually reads the 240 ppi of the RAW images but I think After Effects defaults to the 72 ppi of video. It should explain why the images don't upres equally:
After effects is resizing 1920x1080 72 ppi -> 4K (or whatever) 72 ppi
Photoshop should be using 1920x1080 240ppi -> 4K 72 ppi (supposing you are using video resolution)
5D Mark III

KahL

Quote from: sergiocamara93 on May 18, 2013, 08:35:27 PM
PS actually reads the 240 ppi of the RAW images but I think After Effects defaults to the 72 ppi of video. It should explain why the images don't upres equally:
After effects is resizing 1920x1080 72 ppi -> 4K (or whatever) 72 ppi
Photoshop should be using 1920x1080 240ppi -> 4K 72 ppi (supposing you are using video resolution)

Pretty much. And a better roundabout way of processing the images would be through Lightroom 4. Then export to TIFF frame sequence, then transcode to DNxHD/Prores, OR export as JPEG frame sequence and edit that natively.

This entire workflow of processing brings things to the days of film on a certain level. Most definitely not a workflow for many people asking for this feature and would be reserved for larger, more well developed production budgets.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: Andy600 on May 18, 2013, 06:30:35 PM
I like the fact that I can basically shoot psuedo-Super 16 but I'm experimenting with upscaling methods for lower res 600d DNGs and I'm finding it's best to batch upscale first in PS and not do it in AE (or your NLE). I'm also looking into algorithms. Bicubic is best for upscaling. Not sure what PS uses but I'm gonna try OnOne's Perfect Resize. It might cause weird artifacts though as it processes each shot independently.

What is After Effects, it's probably using the algorithm "Bilinear". Photoshop works with Bicubic, a little better, but still bad for our application.
The OnOne algorithm works by triangulating areas ... is good, but gives strong halo and is slow.
It seems to me that the best interpolation algorithm at the moment, for our case, is the Lanczos.
Test the "Lanczos4Resize", as Avisynth installed, and opening in VirtualDubmod ... you will see a big difference in this.
After Lancsos, could work with "Spline", the best so far, working with 256 points, but it is slow.
Someone trying Smooth-Spline?

captain_merrrica

Just a quick test, some awesome dynamic range.
May 16th nightly build
http://vimeo.com/66425218

KahL

AndreasK

Hi guys. I did a quick/dirty nothing scientific sharpness test with my BMCC vs 5D3. https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/111134722005606605004/111134722005606605004/posts/69Be6wvbrMj

I've noticed two strange things (besides the obvios sharpness results).

a) ISO800 on the BMCC is about ISO1250 on the Canon 5D3 when in Raw but ISO800 in H264 is just a tad darker then BMCC
Is Canon pushing the rawfeed +2/3 stops?
b) The Raw not only has the black bar on the left, if you look at the H264 you can also see that there are some more lines thrown away and the image stretched..hmm?

Danne

Quote from: lourenco on May 18, 2013, 05:52:02 PM
It is possible to record past 4GB. This should be the correct one. I modified the version 1% made.  The over 4GB raw movie file will only convert in linux with raw2dng. I cannot manage to make the windows version to work. This will stop recording when card is full or when the user decides to stop recording.
raw_rec file https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32eDZEbXh5cnZQSTg/edit?usp=sharing

The memory card must be formatted as exfat given fat32 has max file size of about 4GB.

I will post new build and newer modified version of raw_rec later tonight when I have time.

Thank you very much! I,ll try it out a little later.

Hazer

Hi-

Wanted to throw in a quick Mac workflow tip I've been using.  I haven't seen this mentioned yet;  apologies if it has and I missed it:

As you have probably experienced, the raw .dng files produced by raw2dng don't display in Finder/Quicklook, Preview, FCP/FCPX, Motion et al.  The data is there, but the images show up black/blank.  Ater Effects and Photoshop will take them, but if you'd like to use them in other apps, I've discovered that Adobe's DNG Converter utility fixes the problem *without* needing to convert everything to a tiff sequence and step away from raw.  Here's the download link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5568

After installing the app, just select all the .dng files for a given clip right in finder and open them.  This will launch DNG Converter.  Hit "Convert" and you'll get a new set of .dng files in the same folder that will work fine in the above applications.  You now can use Quicklook/spacebar in Finder on these new files as usual.  If you have Motion, you can drag them all right into the layers palette and you've got a raw image sequence.  Color correct and export as ProRes.

Note that these are still raw frames and the original image data *appears* unaltered.  I haven't examined in detail so those more knowledeable in this area should take a closer look.  However I think DNG Converter is just re-wrapping them in a more Mac-friendly way.

Thanks!

Danne

Quote from: KahL on May 18, 2013, 09:12:35 PM
Pretty much. And a better roundabout way of processing the images would be through Lightroom 4. Then export to TIFF frame sequence, then transcode to DNxHD/Prores, OR export as JPEG frame sequence and edit that natively.

This entire workflow of processing brings things to the days of film on a certain level. Most definitely not a workflow for many people asking for this feature and would be reserved for larger, more well developed production budgets.

I would have preferred to be able to use Lightroom 4 processing raw. Too bad that batch processing show inconsistent results. For instance when getting highligts back whites treats differently on different frames. This is not a problem in adobe camera raw. Personally I believe the raw engine has gotten worse in lightroom 4 compared to version 3. Lightroom 3 is also inconsistent but not as much.
For now I work with fast conversion to ProRes422HQ via AE, using either the PS camera raw engine or directly in AE. It,s only one or two steps away after the files are converted. Made a workflow tutorial about this, easy to follow.

'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHVi7Jx9r0

//D

pholler

@Hazer:
It looks like the DNGs from raw2dng do not have previews. Adobe DNG Converter adds previews to the filez.

Picture and Color

Ok, my new test clip which aren't of plants or dogs! :)

Every now and then I need to remove the battery and put back in before the camera will start (after re-inserting the card after offload). Using Lorenco's May 17 build. Otherwise, everything is working great.