uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuky

Quote from: Colemar on May 13, 2013, 11:26:53 PM
Shooting on a 5DmkIII, why are the DNG's converting as 128x96 resolution?  They are almost 4MB each and the .raw file hasn't dropped a frame..I have access to 1000x cards from Delkin, Lexar, and SanDisk, and would like to test them all for members' information, but cannot get useable video from the process..will anyone help me?

-Colemar Nichols

I think they are recognised only by LR and ACR. Davinci Resolve also sees them as 128x96 (most likely a preview incorporated in the headers).

slang

Hmmm... Still getting "EnableBootDisk ;)" error. What am I doing wrong? Have the 1.1.3 firmware, 2 cards (lexar and sandisk SD for ML boot). Copied all from here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32dWpOOEpkWktXMXM/edit to SD card (without raw2dng file of course). Something i missed?

t2scorp

Quote from: mageye on May 13, 2013, 11:31:15 PM
I am really interested to see 5DMKII stuff and this is some of the first I have seen. I would like to try the build you are using (maybe you could link me to your build?).

Anyway its encouraging footage and I was wondering what CF card you have and write speed you are achieving?

Please people quote numbers!

Keep it up good people. YAY!!
He is using the Lexar 1000x

I'd also like to get your build to make some test shots. Do you use line skipping and how much is the moire a problem? Are you able to get 1:1 crop from sensor without moire?

Colemar

QuoteI think they are recognised only by LR and ACR. Davinci Resolve also sees them as 128x96 (most likely a preview incorporated in the headers)

Thanks Kuky, you must be right.

t2scorp

Quote from: slang on May 13, 2013, 11:40:15 PM
Hmmm... Still getting "EnableBootDisk ;)" error. What am I doing wrong? Have the 1.1.3 firmware, 2 cards (lexar and sandisk SD for ML boot). Copied all from here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32dWpOOEpkWktXMXM/edit to SD card (without raw2dng file of course). Something i missed?

Install the latest stable build and replace the autoexec

Kuky

Quote from: coutts on May 13, 2013, 11:16:11 PM
Double buffering seems to have fixed 5d2:

Frame dropping starts about 18 seconds in and continues for the rest of the video (as expected)

Very hard to judge from that video. More likely not. Maybe put the camera on a tripod and do a smooth pan. Use the smallest resolution which can eliminate dropped frames (maybe 1280 x 720 ?). I'm curious also what happens.

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: ThePhil on May 13, 2013, 11:20:40 PM
I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but I promise I'm not posting out of ignorance.  I've been using ML for over a year on my 5D2 and swear by it.  I've been keeping up with reading the forums and decided to try the nightly build to use RAW Video on my 5D2 but don't see the option after replacing the autoexec.bin and ML folder on the root of the card with the nightly build...  I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB CF 90MB/s... not the 1000x.  Is the card speed the reason or am I missing a step?

Thank you.

Phil

It took me a minute to figure it out.  Assuming that the Mark II works like my Mark III, you'd go into the ML menus and go to the one on the far right labeled "M."  Click "load modules now" and at the bottom, it should say "raw_rec OK."  Now when you go to the movie menu, you should have the raw video menu item as expected.

Colemar

coutts,
   will you please post the compiled modules with the double-buffering commands?  I would like to begin framerate testing on different card makes and speeds asap.

many thanks,
-Colemar Nichols

noisyboy

Quote from: ThePhil on May 13, 2013, 11:20:40 PM
I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but I promise I'm not posting out of ignorance.  I've been using ML for over a year on my 5D2 and swear by it.  I've been keeping up with reading the forums and decided to try the nightly build to use RAW Video on my 5D2 but don't see the option after replacing the autoexec.bin and ML folder on the root of the card with the nightly build...  I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB CF 90MB/s... not the 1000x.  Is the card speed the reason or am I missing a step?

Thank you.

Phil

Go to the last tab on the right (modules) and select Load Modules Now to load new features :) You will have a new tab for raw_rec on the far right and Lv_rec will live  at the bottom of all the stuff in the movie tab

Enjoy ;)

KahL

Quote from: noisyboy on May 14, 2013, 12:14:56 AM
Go to the last tab on the right (modules) and select Load Modules Now to load new features :) You will have a new tab for raw_rec on the far right and Lv_rec will live  at the bottom of all the stuff in the movie tab

Enjoy ;)

I'm seeing posts for this for the 600D. Assuming it's the same build, would this be possible on the 550D as well? And if so, how do we access it?

noisyboy

Quote from: KahL on May 14, 2013, 12:16:27 AM
I'm seeing posts for this for the 600D. Assuming it's the same build, would this be possible on the 550D as well? And if so, how do we access it?

In all honesty dude I can only talk from experience of running on my 6D so I don't really know. I'm sure someone much more helpful than I am will give you a better answer soon :)

Good luck!  8)

ThePhil

Noisyboy and EatsTooMuchJam,

Thank you for the reply!  The far right tab in my menu shows an "i" at the top... not an M :/

The menu choices are the same as are shown here: http://www.eoshd.com/content/10324/big-news-hands-on-with-continuous-raw-recording-on-canon-5d-mark-iii  but without the option for "RAW Video" of course.

Thanks again!
Canon 5D2, 5DC. Mac OS X 10.8  Apple Employee. SanDisk 90MB/s. Texas A&M University Graduate. Instagram: @PhilMographer

tferradans

about the fix for tearing, it worked for me, but I got a lot of stuttering this time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNqVMvTIqVE

5D3 600x Sandisk Card. This one was shot lo-res (720x480), so, it's way below the card's max speed. any fixes or explanations?

Habitat

Thought I'd mark my first post with something humorous. I bet Hitler is happy now.

Thanks for this by the way I can't wait until I get my CF cards to try out this release with my Mark III

TonesProtege

Having the exact same problem with my 5Dmrk II as ThePhil. Have replaced the Autoexec.bin and ML folders with the dailys but cant seem to find the Load Modules tab, the Info tab is the last for me.

Jake

coutts

This should work for 5d2, double buffering enabled:
http://bit.ly/10TBM7a

extract the MODULES directory into /ML/ on your card

ThePhil

Quote from: coutts on May 14, 2013, 12:49:27 AM
This should work for 5d2, double buffering enabled:
http://bit.ly/10TBM7a

extract the MODULES directory into /ML/ on your card

Thank you Coutts! Confirmation that it worked!  I'm going to list a few keywords below to help any other ML users locate this post via search.

5D Mark II Raw Video
5D Mark II RawVideo
Enabling Raw Video
Enabling RawVideo
Load Modules Tab
Loading Modules.
Canon 5D2, 5DC. Mac OS X 10.8  Apple Employee. SanDisk 90MB/s. Texas A&M University Graduate. Instagram: @PhilMographer

aaphotog

Quote from: kidb on May 13, 2013, 11:12:09 PM
Compiled on mountain lion, use in terminal.
http://kidb.tv/.ml/

I opened up terminal, dragged and dropped the raw2dng file in and clicked enter.
it said "permission denied"

am I supposed to do something different?

Kuky

Quote from: tferradans on May 14, 2013, 12:38:14 AM
about the fix for tearing, it worked for me, but I got a lot of stuttering this time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNqVMvTIqVE

5D3 600x Sandisk Card. This one was shot lo-res (720x480), so, it's way below the card's max speed. any fixes or explanations?

Uff, it's looking bad... Same as on my test (Reply #493) minus the tearing.

Check this test also and look carefully (on the HD version on vimeo website) at the cars on the 14-bit raw crop

To me it appears that the stuttering it's not tied to the movement of the camera, but somehow the frames are not aligned in time very precise. There are more or less 24 fps but not "genlocked" (don't know a better term).

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 01:02:07 AM
I opened up terminal, dragged and dropped the raw2dng file in and clicked enter.
it said "permission denied"

am I supposed to do something different?

You wouldn't drag it into the terminal.  Assuming that it's in your Downloads folder, you'd go into Terminal and run this:

cd ~/Downloads
chmod +x ./raw2dng
./raw2dng

To use it on a file in another folder, go to terminal and do something like this:

cd /Path/To/Folder
~/Downloads/raw2dng M00000000.RAW

aaphotog

Ok, I figured it out...

But now, my SD card isn't working.
I tried shooting at 720 and it started but it was missing a bunch of frames so I wanted to cancel it. I did so by flipping the video switch to camera on my 5d3. Then I took my sd and put it in my laptop and it didn't read it. Placed it back into the camera and the camera read it so I did a format on my camera. Put it back into my laptop and it still isn't reading it. Restarted the computer and did a format of the card(in camera) still nothing. Any ideas?

aaphotog

Quote from: eatstoomuchjam on May 14, 2013, 01:19:35 AM
You wouldn't drag it into the terminal.  Assuming that it's in your Downloads folder, you'd go into Terminal and run this:

cd ~/Downloads
chmod +x ./raw2dng
./raw2dng

To use it on a file in another folder, go to terminal and do something like this:

cd /Path/To/Folder
~/Downloads/raw2dng M00000000.RAW

What eventually worked for me was, right clicking M00000000.RAW and selecting "open with" then opening with the raw2dng and it went to work for me.

tferradans

Quote from: Kuky on May 14, 2013, 01:17:43 AM
To me it appears that the stuttering it's not tied to the movement of the camera, but somehow the frames are not aligned in time very precise. There are more or less 24 fps but not "genlocked" (don't know a better term).

yeah! pretty much like this. In a shaky shot, I got a frame misplaced by other 10 frames.

by the way, devs: any chance of assigning raw_rec to a particular key, instead of going through the menus?

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 01:22:03 AM
Ok, I figured it out...

But now, my SD card isn't working.
I tried shooting at 720 and it started but it was missing a bunch of frames so I wanted to cancel it. I did so by flipping the video switch to camera on my 5d3. Then I took my sd and put it in my laptop and it didn't read it. Placed it back into the camera and the camera read it so I did a format on my camera. Put it back into my laptop and it still isn't reading it. Restarted the computer and did a format of the card(in camera) still nothing. Any ideas?

I've been stopping recording by pulling up the ML menu and hitting "stop" in the same place where I hit "start."  You could try that.  I'd also strongly suggest using something other than an SD card on a 5D3.  A 400x-600x CF card is going to write a lot faster.  I'm not sure that the SD card slot in the 5D3 can keep up with 720x1280.

aaphotog

Quote from: eatstoomuchjam on May 14, 2013, 01:27:32 AM
I've been stopping recording by pulling up the ML menu and hitting "stop" in the same place where I hit "start."  You could try that.  I'd also strongly suggest using something other than an SD card on a 5D3.  A 400x-600x CF card is going to write a lot faster.  I'm not sure that the SD card slot in the 5D3 can keep up with 720x1280.

Yea, I know it can't. But the first video I tried. It lost ALOT less frames.