uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Should raw2dng be making a folder when it dumps a video file... they go all over the place.

Kuky

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 05:08:43 PM
Try new build. Card too slow maybe? It only happens sometimes... I posted examples. Also try different modes like 640 (shrinks yuv buffer on this camera)

Hi,

I tried only on lourenco posted firmware on post 385. I don't know if it's the very latest but I don't know how to compile the very last build.

Last time I compiled something it was like 20 years ago :)

It could be cool to save a log with how many frames are dropped.
Also I didn't find a way to stop the recording. For now it seems to just finish the 4gb file. If I press any buttons while recording I get Err 70 and I get very nervous  :o

lourenco

Quote from: Kuky on May 13, 2013, 04:50:56 PM
Just to be sure:

raw2dng, 5D3-113-bootflag.fir, UserGuide.pdf don't need to be on the CF card. Is this correct?
5D3-113-bootflag.fir has to be used only once to set the bootflag then it can be deleted?
correct.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

Andy600

@1% Pink frames issue appears to be fixed :) Gonna try different settings and see how it scales. I have a new Sandisk Extreme SD card on it's way to me but for now I'm using a Patriot UHS-1. I think it's under performing TBH
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

HugoFilipe

Is there a chance i get some help converting this .raw to .dng?
I downloaded the raw2dng, but when opening it opens and imediatly closes. I supose that there is some specific command to be introduced in the cmd.exe in order to make it process the image.

I'm running windows 8 and tried some compability modes, no luck what so ever.

Thank you

Audionut

Quote from: HugoFilipe on May 13, 2013, 05:22:44 PM

You have to open a command prompt, navigate to the location of raw2dng.exe and run it there.

bumkicho

Quote from: HugoFilipe on May 13, 2013, 05:22:44 PM
I downloaded the raw2dng, but when opening it opens and imediatly closes. I supose that there is some specific command to be introduced in the cmd.exe in order to make it process the image.

I'm running windows 8 and tried some compability modes, no luck what so ever.

Thank you

I put raw2dng and raw file in a folder together. from cmd, go to that folder and type raw2dng mxxxxxxx.raw
you'll see dng files created in that folder.

kgv5

Or you can just drag and drop *.raw file onto raw2dng.exe file, raw will extract dng frames to the folder where raw2dng is
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

bumkicho

lourenco, how did you record sound with this? Did you start raw shooting and then start movie shooting together? Then later sync the sound?

Chucho

This is very beautiful and exciting. I only wish I had a camera to try this out :( Congratulations to everybody involved :)

1%

Yea, I dunno what happened with patriot, only doing 32Mb/s and the boot sector on one of my cards failed.

We could record wav with the video but there is not enough write speed already....

Uhm... don't you have 600D?

HugoFilipe

Quote from: kgv5 on May 13, 2013, 05:30:20 PM
Or you can just drag and drop *.raw file onto raw2dng.exe file, raw will extract dng frames to the folder where raw2dng is

Incredible how simple it is!
Thank you so much! Now next step is to process all this dng files. Any good workflow advice? I'm importing them to ae but i'm required to edit every single frame, any way of doing this as a batch?

1%

Lol, didn't even know you could drag and drop onto it.

sicetime

THIS IS TRULY REMARKABLE, I KNOW YOU HEAR THIS ALL THE TIME, BUT INCREDIBLE WORK!

Does anyone have any experience with komputerbay cards? They have a few 1000x cards that are a little cheaper than the other cards.

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-Professional-COMPACT-FLASH-Extreme/dp/B009JCL55Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1368458979&sr=8-6&keywords=1000x+cf+card

I remember reading somewhere that 64gb files are better for speed as apposed the 128gb cards? Am I making this up? What cards do you recommend getting?

kslau8

There's a thread currently that states those Komputerbay 1000X cards will work.

Quote from: sicetime on May 13, 2013, 05:50:07 PM
THIS IS TRULY REMARKABLE, I KNOW YOU HEAR THIS ALL THE TIME, BUT INCREDIBLE WORK!

Does anyone have any experience with komputerbay cards? They have a few 1000x cards that are a little cheaper than the other cards.

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-Professional-COMPACT-FLASH-Extreme/dp/B009JCL55Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1368458979&sr=8-6&keywords=1000x+cf+card

I remember reading somewhere that 64gb files are better for speed as apposed the 128gb cards? Am I making this up? What cards do you recommend getting?

kgv5

Quote from: HugoFilipe on May 13, 2013, 05:45:11 PM
Incredible how simple it is!
Thank you so much! Now next step is to process all this dng files. Any good workflow advice? I'm importing them to ae but i'm required to edit every single frame, any way of doing this as a batch?

Of course there is a batch, in AE you have to press file>import>file, than select first DNG, in the bottom you have to select import as footage and sequence. You make just the first file and the rest are going with the same settings
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

escho

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 05:13:01 PM
Should raw2dng be making a folder when it dumps a video file... they go all over the place.

This would be great

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

squig

Quote from: Kuky on May 13, 2013, 05:13:28 PM

Also I didn't find a way to stop the recording. For now it seems to just finish the 4gb file. If I press any buttons while recording I get Err 70 and I get very nervous  :o

Hitting the menu button seems to stop recording without crashing.

Danne

Hi! the compiled firmware from Lourenco. Does it run straight from the card involving bootflag procedures like stable builds or do I have to make the card bootable in eoscard before installing it to the camera?
This is so exciting :)

sicetime

Quote from: kslau8 on May 13, 2013, 05:59:41 PM
There's a thread currently that states those Komputerbay 1000X cards will work.

Awesome, can you link to thread? Thanks!

ernestoeduardo

Hi everyone:

First of all THANKS A LOT TO THE ML TEAM for making our lifes easier and our work better. You guys are doing for free what Canon cannot do for a lot of $$$.

I need a compiled build for the MK2 so I can test as much as possible without bricking my camera (here in Cuba 2000$ is a fortune)

BTW: I havfe donated before when 2.3 came out, I will donate again as soon as I get some $ on my account.

Q: Is there any chance the JPG engine can apply some compression to the RAW output ??

SALUDOS !

lourenco

Quote from: Danne on May 13, 2013, 06:05:05 PM
Hi! the compiled firmware from Lourenco. Does it run straight from the card involving bootflag procedures like stable builds or do I have to make the card bootable in eoscard before installing it to the camera?
This is so exciting :)

run eoscard.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

Danne

Thanks a lot Lourenco! Anybody had any luck running the raw2dng through wine bottler in mac?
Cheers :)
//D

Andy600

FAO devs - please slow down for f**ks sake. Your amazing ingenuity is making the forum struggle with all the newbies asking questions LOL  ;)

BTW 600d users - I just tested on my 600d and I'm getting continuous shooting at 720x480 on a very under-performing SD card (i.e. 10x slower than what the CF users can get). When scaled to 720p it resolves more detail than native 720p H.264 (at any CBR) and with less moire and aliasing plus you get a little bit of vertical framing to play with. Can't wait till my faster SD gets here. I'm 100% sure the same will be true for scaling slightly larger frames to 1080p. this is bonkers!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

cschmeer

Quote from: Danne on May 13, 2013, 06:25:07 PM
Thanks a lot Lourenco! Anybody had any luck running the raw2dng through wine bottler in mac?

I've been trying. The file Lourenco provided didn't have a suffix in the filename. Adding .exe to it didn't make it work either. Is it compiled or not? How can we get raw2dng running in Wine/WineBottler?