uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

The Raw2DNG converter is only available for windows(I'm currently running a mac)?

a1ex

silvertonesx24

Simply amazing work everyone.

Mark II here, super excited to test this out. Ordered 1000x cards now.

squig

Quote from: a1ex on May 13, 2013, 02:10:45 PM
So, HDR video is obsolete now? :P

Haven't you heard?  it's a new feature in the next Canon firmware update coming in April 2014.

HD Cam Team

Quote from: cschmeer on May 13, 2013, 03:21:01 PM
When I saw that there was a "digital dolly" feature that pans across the image as you're recording, it made me think – the 5D Mark III has a built-in accelerometer, which is used to display whether the camera is "level". However, if one were to somehow use that accelerometer and programme the movement of the recording window to compensate camera movement, could this lead to an in-camera stabilising feature? I know this seems crazy - just a thought :)

If ML team can access to the accelerometer functions, that would be very cool indeed!

Step by step, the 1st thing is to get this amazing development working fine and stable. If so, there are so many great new possible features...

Big congrats to ML Team!!
HD Cam Team
Web:
www.HDCamTeam.com | Twitter: @HDCamTeam | Facebook: HDCamTeam

squig

Quote from: lourenco on May 13, 2013, 02:17:25 PM
The focus distance on the lense was changing when the Mustang was reversing. Given one person operating the camera and other person driving the Mustang.

Ahh c'mon man, a true professional does this kinda thing solo.  :D

Lcrusher

Quote from: saad on May 13, 2013, 03:09:43 PM
Here is my comparison test of "image detail quality" on the 5D Mk III with and without ML then against the GH3:

Please notice that this was a fast test and if you find something wrong or unfair do let me know to fix it asap. :)

Was it dropping frames in RAW mode?

squig

Quote from: lourenco on May 13, 2013, 03:11:31 PM
I will share a newer compiled version soon for the 5D3.

Just give us 24 hours to test it first so you don't brick your camera.  ;D

I scared the crap out of myself earlier, I tried to boot up my MK3 after it had been switched off for a while and it was totally dead. I think maybe it didn't power down when I switched it off and drained the battery. It might be prudent to pull the battery every time you shut down until the devs iron out the bugs.

1%

Means the memory wasn't freed when camera turned off.

bumkicho

I just downloaded the compiled version (thank you, lourenco), but I don't see this raw shooting menu. Do I need to turn something on to be able to get to this option?

lourenco

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 04:20:17 PM
Means the memory wasn't freed when camera turned off.

This should be the latest one from last night that reports frame drops. It should work better too. let me know.
  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32dWpOOEpkWktXMXM/edit?usp=sharing
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

lourenco

Quote from: bumkicho on May 13, 2013, 04:29:00 PM
I just downloaded the compiled version (thank you, lourenco), but I don't see this raw shooting menu. Do I need to turn something on to be able to get to this option?

Please download the new version I just posted. You need to load the module under menu option M for Module. You will see the new raw movie shooting option on the ML movie menu.

I will have to compile a newer version later tonight when I have time. I notice some new changes have been mades since I last compiled. Maybe someone else could post a link until that time?

1%

Some fixes 4 hours ago too. Now it allocates 30MB block only... more stable... but not as fast.

Either way I can do 960x720 continuous... with raw that will probably scale to 720P or even 1080P.. I bet it will look as good as H264.

bumkicho

Quote from: lourenco on May 13, 2013, 04:31:19 PM
Please download the new version I just posted. You need to load the module under menu option M for Module. You will see the new raw movie shooting option on the ML movie menu.

I will have to compile a newer version later tonight when I have time. I notice some new changes have been mades since I last compiled. Maybe someone else could post a link until that time?

Thank you for your help! To shoot in raw, can I start with start/stop button or should I click start from ML menu?

Jason Montalvo

Great Stuff guys !! Patiently waiting for a more stable release of raw video.

Kuky

Quote from: lourenco on May 13, 2013, 04:29:48 PM
This should be the latest one from last night that reports frame skipping. It should work better too. let me know.
  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32dWpOOEpkWktXMXM/edit?usp=sharing

Just to be sure:

raw2dng, 5D3-113-bootflag.fir, UserGuide.pdf don't need to be on the CF card. Is this correct?
5D3-113-bootflag.fir has to be used only once to set the bootflag then it can be deleted?

saad

Quote from: Lcrusher on May 13, 2013, 04:14:12 PM
Was it dropping frames in RAW mode?

There was frame skipping indeed. A fix is already out. :)

Andy600

Is anyone else trying this on the 600d? Are you getting pink frames (that can't be fixed in post)?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Sometimes I get pink frames or pink crap in the middle.

Andy600

I'm getting it every frame with whatever settings I change  ??? BTW @1% does the way the card is formatted affect anything? I just chose the defaults (exfat) then ran it through EOScard
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Kuky

Tested with the lourenco firmware posted on reply 385 on a Lexar 600x CF Professional 16gb & 5D Mk3

It drops frames on both 1920x1080 and 1920x720. Significantly more on the higher resolution but don't know exactly how much because there is no log saved. But there  were many frames dropped.

1%

Try new build. Card too slow maybe? It only happens sometimes... I posted examples. Also try different modes like 640 (shrinks yuv buffer on this camera)

What card? Size of the blocks is 128-512k, but other than that format should be normal. Default should work.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 05:08:43 PM
Try new build. Card too slow maybe? It only happens sometimes... I posted examples. Also try different modes like 640 (shrinks yuv buffer on this camera)

Just got it. Will do :) Thanks

coutts

First test with 5D2:

1880x840 24fps, stretched to 1920x840 with Lexar 1000x 32gb UDMA 7. Processed with Adobe Lightroom 5. It starts dropping frames after about 400 or so (you can see at the end it gets buggy). Alex thinks implementing double buffering should fix the slight tearing so 5D2 looks promising! 720p will for sure work (hardly any buffer usage).

lourenco

Quote from: bumkicho on May 13, 2013, 04:46:58 PM
Thank you for your help! To shoot in raw, can I start with start/stop button or should I click start from ML menu?

Click start on the ML menu.