uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coutts

a1ex

escho

Great work!

I played a litte with this raw-recording on my 600D. I switched to 720 x 540 px for continous shooting and used 5x-crop. The speed is warp2. The results are fine, but under sad light-conditions noisy. Some pics are out of sync. I can open the converted files with ufraw and with showfote (digikam). Trying to open with darktable results in an segmentation-fault in darktable, I donĀ“t know why.

Tomorrow, I will do some further tests. Good night

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

kgv5

ML benchmark 6D + sandisk extreme 64GB 45mb/s

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

For 600D I think 1280 wasn't bad. My sd got corrupted on 6D. develop or boot flag is written somewhere and now it won't format. How can I unset this flag for an unformatted disk? Eoscard doesn't recognize it.

escho

1280 crashed my camera. Will have a look at it tomorrow.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Andy600

@1% - I'm getting pink shots every time. I've tried a lot of different settings. (600d) Also, a few frames have tearing where half the frame is correct colours.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

squig

There's no audio yet yeah?

So am I correct in assuming that 2048 x 871 should work with a 1000x card on the MK3?

I'm shooting some test scenes for a feature in about 3 weeks so if everything goes smoothly I'll shoot them RAW and post them up

jc

These developments are truly amazing.. & assuming it can keep filming for 15 to 30 mins they totally transform the camera .. might even keep people buying the 5d3 over the BMC ! who knows

I am sure that someone has already thought of this, but just in case.. the 5D3 has TWO memory card slots. The ( i presume faster ) CF slot and the SD slot.

Can both be written to near simultaneously?

If we to make the maths easy, say for example the cf slot is 2x the SD slot, we can write 2 images to the CF whilst a 3rd in the buffer is written to the SD card slot. Then a simple merging of the files in the folder on your mac/pc & you have all the frames!

Assuming that 1920x1080 24p is possible ( and maybe even 30p ) just to the CF, am i correct in thinking that 1980x1080 36P to 45P for increased frame rate or maybe 2400x1350 24P might be possible to when written to both cards simultaneously?

Keep up the great work :-)

James C

Rush

QuoteIf we to make the maths easy, say for example the cf slot is 2x the SD slot, we can write 2 images to the CF whilst a 3rd in the buffer is written to the SD card slot.
SD in 5D3 is about 5x times slower than CF.
Greetings from Russia!

jc

Hi Rush, thanks for your reply... well not the 50% gains that i was hoping for.. but that's still a 20% boost!

If 24P was the total max frame rate at 1080 then that would take you to 29.. so with a tiny bit of tweaking 30P .. i think, if its not too much work, a 20% gain is quite significant :-)

Do you think so?

Also is any form of (lossles) compression possible inside the small cpu on the camera? even if a very basic compression got another say 15% that might also be significant in the long run!

James

kgv5

Could someone please make another ML benchmark for 6D but with a 95mb/s card? (and post the screenshot)
My sandisk extreme 64GB 45mb/s showed max writing speed 39,3.
1% - you've made a benchmark of 6D before and get max 32 - what card was that?
Maybe we could get somewhere close to that 50 with 95mb/s card?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

coutts

For 5d2, I found all stubs, but the function lv_raw_dump() seems to be inert in the 5d2.. doesn't dump anything!

after I call lv_save_raw() *(*(0x1D78) + 0x3F4) points to the raw buffer's location. Using bmp_hexdump() I can see image data there changing with each frame, but only about 30 bytes of it from where the buffer pointer starts..

I tried dumping 4.2mb from here but all I got was a blank file.

lv_raw_dump() hangs up and never returns, dumps a blank file (0bytes).

damn.

Kabuto1138

I don't think I've ever refreshed a post so many times since the the invention of the internet.

P.S. Alex, can I make "I LOVE ML" shirts?

1%

Yea, for 600D sometimes there are issues. Test all the rez, use sraw to get the full 100MB buffer. I dunno if overriding the 30P to 24 in 640x480 is helpful or causing problems. Needs more testing for sure but here are some examples:

http://imgur.com/a/CJHN3#0

noisyboy

Wonder how a Lexar Professional 400x SD would work out for us 6D users? Anyone got one?

Rush

Quote from: noisyboy on May 13, 2013, 02:23:22 AM
Wonder how a Lexar Professional 400x SD would work out for us 6D users? Anyone got one?
I wonder too, but according to specs, it's max write speed is only 20 mb/s (with 60 mb/s read speed).
Looking forward for 6D + SanDisk 95 mb/s tests which is specced 90 mb/s write speed.
Greetings from Russia!

coutts

Right now 633x is the fastest SD card you buy buy afaik.

noisyboy

Quote from: coutts on May 13, 2013, 02:42:46 AM
Right now 633x is the fastest SD card you buy buy afaik.

Cheers for the tip coutts! It's a minefield of BS out there and they all say they have the fastest speeds since sliced bread so good to get a recommendation!

noisyboy

That's actually some pretty cool performance but the price! Owie  :o

1%

6D is up.. not sure on the best allocation size. 28 is really fast but ending recording freezes. 30 doesn't freeze but its slower. Somewhere in the middle is 31.95 which is what I ended up setting...

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 03:50:04 AM
6D is up.. not sure on the best allocation size. 28 is really fast but ending recording freezes. 30 doesn't freeze but its slower. Somewhere in the middle is 31.95 which is what I ended up setting...

Dude! Please standby while I freak the shit out (you do mean RAW recording right?) :)

So by freezing I gather you mean when we end recording it freezes the camera? Does pulling the battery fix it if I have a wirl?

I can live with that :D

Seriously can't wait - you are a ledgend! When on earth do you sleep!

squig

lourenco

I did 1080P video with audio this time. I am going to post it up.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L