uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Try global draw off. 400 frames = good luck. I get a little over 50 on sd card. Almost twice the amount with new lv_rec but dunno how to containerize the files so something will open them.

CaptainHook

Is it just not possible to get the 14-bit Raw feed sent uncompressed to the HDMI out? Or the uncompressed YUV422 to the HDMI out?
Would the YUV422 to HDMI out (if even possible) look better than canon's version?

Sorry to cross-post this, but if you look at the BMCC's Prores recording done on a hyperdeck shuttle (via SDI out of the camera), i imagine IF the 14-bit Raw feed could be sent out the HDMI it would be so much better (than current 5D3 options) and you wouldn't have to worry about write speeds of CF/SD cards:

1%

HDMI chip is probably an off the shelf solution. I doubt its so easy to just feed it a different buffer when it does processing on the data.

HugoFilipe

Quote from: 1% on May 01, 2013, 09:29:14 PM
Try global draw off. 400 frames = good luck. I get a little over 50 on sd card. Almost twice the amount with new lv_rec but dunno how to containerize the files so something will open them.

I've tried some combinations, the best i get is 29 frames at 1080 or 49 frames at 1920x670 (image looks stretched!)
Whatever the settings i make, the camera only starts to write to the card after the buffer is full, so whatever fps I set, i only get those frames.
Is this normal?

CaptainHook

Quote from: 1% on May 01, 2013, 10:58:18 PM
HDMI chip is probably an off the shelf solution. I doubt its so easy to just feed it a different buffer when it does processing on the data.

I see. Be good to find out either way. Thanks! :)

VectorZ

Does SRaw mode do anything to help this situation?

Theoretically it could reduce your resolution sampling, or perhaps offer some alternate compression scheme?

1%

I think those settings don't affect the DNG or YUV image.

duncanidaho25

I'm sorry, I know YUV is a colorspace, but what do you mean YUV as opposed to the DNG files? 
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

1%

There is a YUV buffer there and the buffer where DNG is copied from. Neither should be affected by mraw or sraw selected for photos.

RenatoPhoto

Can anyone explain how to get this speed?  Has anyone attained it?

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 30, 2013, 12:51:22 AM
okay should work now :)

720p, 400 frames, raw @ 24fps should be no problem with a fresh formatted 1000x card.
maybe i can improve it a bit, but for now it is quite useable.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

P337

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 02, 2013, 03:08:44 AM
Can anyone explain how to get this speed?  Has anyone attained it?

Wait, by "RAW" do you mean "14bit 4:4:4" or "8bit 4:2:2 uncompressed"?

Francis

Quote from: P337 on May 02, 2013, 07:29:59 AM
Wait, by "RAW" do you mean "14bit 4:4:4" or "8bit 4:2:2 uncompressed"?

By RAW he means RAW. As in RAW image sensor feed. Prior to any color space or compression. 14bit data

1%

Lvrec is working on 600D... only allocating like 70MB though, shoot malloc is supposed to be 104mb? Or is this more of that wasted memory a1ex was mentioning? Only 16 frames == boooooo

Ok, 80 frames of 1080pX480

Around 120frames in 720P

I guess numbers will be the same with DNG?

You can play yourself:

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads

P337

Quote from: Francis on May 02, 2013, 07:38:38 AM
By RAW he means RAW. As in RAW image sensor feed. Prior to any color space or compression. 14bit data

Are you sure?  Because this is the "uncompressed YUV422 video recording" thread and it's a very common mistake to make.

1%

It saves both dng and yuv... a little bit hard-coded for 5d3 and you have to enable lv debug... I haven't been able to process any of the "dng" files yet as they have no header, nothing wants to open them.

YUV and DNG file sizes are similar.

Andy600

Hi 1%,

How are you recording DNG at 720p on your 600d? Nothing I'm doing seems to alter the frame size.

All my DNGs are above 2k and buffer maxes out at 14-18 shots. Not sure if my settings are correct or if it's card speed related.

BTW F**king huge thanks for this :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

P337

Quote from: 1% on May 02, 2013, 09:36:40 AM
It saves both dng and yuv... a little bit hard-coded for 5d3 and you have to enable lv debug... I haven't been able to process any of the "dng" files yet as they have no header, nothing wants to open them.

YUV and DNG file sizes are similar.

Cool, can a post a YUV and DNG file so we can try to open them?  If Photoshop can't open them I take it they aren't normal DNG files.

Andy600

Quote from: Andy600 on May 02, 2013, 10:18:54 AM
Hi 1%,

How are you recording DNG at 720p on your 600d? Nothing I'm doing seems to alter the frame size.

All my DNGs are above 2k and buffer maxes out at 14-18 shots. Not sure if my settings are correct or if it's card speed related.

BTW F**king huge thanks for this :)

Doh, I hadn't changed to small/medium. Still only getting 22 frames before buffer fills though. Must be the card.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

g3gg0

i am very busy right now, but let me explain.

this module can record two things:
- YUV422
- 14 bit RAW bayer RGBG

both can be recorded either in
- single file (splits at around 2GiB)
- separate files

both formats have different resolutions, come from different sources and have different format.

the YUV422 format can be read by popular 422-to-X tools like 422ToImg etc.

the RAW format can not be processed yet, except if you have a tool that alex coded for PC.
it is not in a release-able state yet i think. we are working on letting you process RAW frames soon.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

P337

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 30, 2013, 12:51:22 AM
okay should work now :)

720p, 400 frames, raw @ 24fps should be no problem with a fresh formatted 1000x card.
maybe i can improve it a bit, but for now it is quite useable.

Wow, so you really did mean 400 14bit files then?  That's all I'd need :)

Andy600

Although my first attempts at shooting DNG with the 600d are limited to around 1 second of footage, I think this development is simply amazing.

If nothing else, it gives us Canon users a little taste of shooting and working with DNG. That in itself might put a few people off when considering moving up/over to a RAW shooting workflow (i.e. the BMCC) but for me, this little insight is making me hungry for it.

I understand the limitations (if not the complexities of the coding) but I'd be more than happy with getting a few seconds at 720p DNG.

N.Mendes

Here is a great new article from eoshd about "raw video using Magic Lantern"..
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10294/3-5k-canon-5d-mark-iii-raw-video-with-magic-lantern-and-latest-updates

He seems to be hopeful about the soon future ..

With all improvements you made these days, are you (the ML team) optimistic about seeing a real 2k raw @24 fps on the 5d3? (when i say real, i mean a continuous recording video, or at least 1mn..)

Strength and courage my friends..

N/A

With single file YUV, 720p, FPS override on 24p, Large, I'm managing 127 frames on the 600D with the Sandisk 95.

Next step. Figuring out how to look at the damn things. On a Mac, and I'm too slow to get the 422 windows program running on here.

Blah.

Oh and with the same settings into separate files, looks like 98 frames.

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Alia5

on my 600D raw-recording crashes
Log:

mode:20

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013May02.600D102
Mercurial changeset   : 6f2b596d2b19+ tip
Built on 2013-05-02 05:58:15 by user@D610.
Free Memory  : -1733647K + 1255K

Edit: Crash only appears in crop modes
Getting 16Frames normally
and 26 in 720p mode

720p modes are stretched, but edit normally in adobe camera-raw
Setting fps-override to low, will result in coruppt files :(

Getting about 30frames in yuv, single file

dude

ot:
eoshd is one of the worst sites ever... absolutely no idea what he is talking about.
seems like panasonic does not sponsor him any more, becaus he was against canon all the time.
and people who believe in tests lie "gh2 vs arri alexa" are not professionell at all