uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjfilmspeed

OHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! IIIIII LOOOOOOOOOOVEEE YOOUUUUUUUUU MMMMMMMMMMMLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

hjfilmspeed

Do you think there will be a 5d3 alpha 4 soon for dumb dumbs like me? haha Im so excited!!!!! I want to try this asap but i have know clue how ha ha.

aaphotog

I've been sitting at my computer for the last 6+ hours straight trying to figure out how to turn the raw file into DNG's and nothing is working out for me.

Working with a mac.
I got it one time but for some reason, none of the steps that I've taken can get me there again.

bumkicho

Quote from: squig on May 14, 2013, 03:14:08 AM
Is global draw off? It's working fine for me with a 600x Lexar
With only focus peaking enabled, I can get stable 1280x720. With peaking and histogram on, I get stable 1280x540.
I will order a lexar 1000x card soon. If I can get stable 1920x720, that would be great.

bumkicho

Quote from: lourenco on May 14, 2013, 03:07:45 AM
I can record sound now to the SD card. I did a quick test. I did not want to change any code. I went to the canon menu set up1 and selected record to sd card. I went to magic lantern menu for sound recorder. I started sound recorder. I went back to same canon menu before put back to cf card. I was able to record video at 1080p. This means it is possible. The issue is when I start video recording the audio switch from 48hz to 96hz for some reason. I had to change the sample rate to 96hz to play back the audio correctly.

Interesting! I will try this too. Thanks!

ernestoeduardo

Quote from: coutts on May 14, 2013, 12:49:27 AM
This should work for 5d2, double buffering enabled:
http://bit.ly/10TBM7a

extract the MODULES directory into /ML/ on your card

Things I have noticed when testing Newest Dbufer build by Coutts for MK2:

1- I extracted /Modules on /ML; overwrited autoexec.bin and the build loaded OK
2- Loaded the RAW_rec module successfully
3- If you hit "load modules" 2 or 3 times quickly the camera freezes, restart is needed red led remains lit

Benchmark with my CFs:

Average(read/write) all with "Global Draw on"

Duracell 600x                 @ 12mbs/11mbs
Sandisk Extreme 60mbs @ 45mbs/41mbs
Trascend 60mbs             @ 27mbs/72mbs

I think i might need faster CFs don you think ???  ;D

squig

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 03:22:40 AM
I've been sitting at my computer for the last 6+ hours straight trying to figure out how to turn the raw file into DNG's and nothing is working out for me.

Working with a mac.

Join the mac lepper club.

Colemar

5DmkIII preliminary basic Compact Flash card speed tests yield:

Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 100MB/s UDMA 7 CF burst ~82MB/s with ~73MB/s sustained write speed @ 1920x960.  It would randomly drop frames at 1920x1080 but did complete the 4GB size limit before ceasing.  It was the only card of the trio that could record 1920 vertical lines whilst simultaneously recording the 1920x1080 H264 "proxy" to the same card.  In fact, it's sustained speed did not waiver whether or not the H264 files were being written.

Lexar Professional 32GB 1000x UDMA 7 CF burst ~87MB/s with ~82MB/s sustained write speed @ 1920x1080.  It was the only card that could repeatedly sustain full 1080p for the duration of the 4GB size limit.

Delkin Devices 32GB 1000x UDMA 7 CF burst ~69MB/s with ~63MB/s sustained write speeds @ 1920x840.  It was the poorest performer with random dropped frames above 840 horizontal lines.  It would complete the duration of the 4GB size limit at 1920x840, but no higher.

None of these cards' write rates seemed affected by panning or tilting or complicated visual patterns in frame.

Global Draw was always on, but only for information overlays, all of the graphical overlays within frame were turned off.

The camera got warm, but not hot, and when the cards were pulled, they were likewise only warm.  Nowhere near as scalding as an SSD mag removed from a Blackmagic camera.  Never a temp or buffer warning from Canon firmware or Magic Lantern software.

In the next few days I will post a blog with test footage for those that are interested: http://shop.texasmediasystems.com/blog.asp

Thanks so much to the committed ML dev team and the forum members who contribute!

best,
-Colemar Nichols

arian_dd

Hi everyone. I am having difficulty installing the new rawrec update. Here is what I do:

1. Downloaded this zip file and unzipped and copied it to my SD card.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32T3RSTXRUM1VXTWM/edit
2. Then I put the SD card back and in the menu I update the firmware like we do for other ML firmwares.
3. When I do this the screen goes black and the LED light keeps flashing and I can not turn the camera off unless I remove the battery.

I have a MkIII with the latest canon firmware 1.2.1.
Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

ernestoeduardo

Another note:

Sometimes RAW_rec module gets unloaded after the camera enters standby mode, even if autoload modules is enabled

lourenco

Quote from: arian_dd on May 14, 2013, 03:50:13 AM
Hi everyone. I am having difficulty installing the new rawrec update. Here is what I do:

1. Downloaded this zip file and unzipped and copied it to my SD card.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32T3RSTXRUM1VXTWM/edit
2. Then I put the SD card back and in the menu I update the firmware like we do for other ML firmwares.
3. When I do this the screen goes black and the LED light keeps flashing and I can not turn the camera off unless I remove the battery.

It does not work with firmware 1.2.1. Only for 1.1.3 for now.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

squig

Quote from: arian_dd on May 14, 2013, 03:50:13 AM

ML isn't compatible with the new Canon firmware.

squig

I'm doing a writeup for planet5D, can one of the devs give me a heads up on any plans to get around the 4Gb file size limit?

And if anyone has been able to open the raw files on a mac could they please throw us a bone, step by step for dummies please.

arian_dd

Quote from: lourenco on May 14, 2013, 03:53:51 AM
It does not work with firmware 1.2.1. Only for 1.1.3 for now.

Thank you lourenco. I downgraded to 1.1.3 version and was able to install the new firmware. However when I try to load it up I get this message and it does not start.

EnableBootDisk
:)

lourenco

Quote from: arian_dd on May 14, 2013, 04:12:52 AM
Thank you lourenco. I downgraded to 1.1.3 version and was able to install the new firmware. However when I try to load it up I get this message and it does not start.

EnableBootDisk
:)

Did you run eoscard? 
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/File:EOSCard_Tutorial
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

arian_dd

Quote from: lourenco on May 14, 2013, 04:14:15 AM
Did you run eoscard? 
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/File:EOSCard_Tutorial

No I was not using the EOSCard and for some reason I was able to get away with it while working with the previous versions.
Thank you so much. It is working now.

RenatoPhoto

@ lourenco, Thanks for posting the ML files.  I finally got it working..

My test was simple: 5D3, 1000x Lexar 32 GB, 1920x1080 at (aprox) 24fps + 5X ZOOM

The result was continuous recording of RAW DIGITAL CROPPED VIDEO.  I have been wanting this feature on my cam since I found out it was available for the t3i. 

To get it press the zoom button when in live view and then start the raw recorder.  When in LiveView I had to use the joystick to move the center rectangle (thingy) to the left so that the cropped video would be centered.  It is beautiful!

Is there a way to set the fps besides FPS Override?
Can the shutter speed be set independently or will it be controlled by FPS Override?

It is like putting a 3X multiplier on the lens and not loosing any light!!

Good night to all, specially to the great ML team!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

There is a 4gb size limit? Or 4gb was set as a limit to not mess up fat 32?

squig

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 05:09:33 AM
There is a 4gb size limit? Or 4gb was set as a limit to not mess up fat 32?

Yeah it stops recording just over 4Gb which is a no go for narrative work.

1%

Its just set to stop recording at 4gb in the code.

bumkicho

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 05:33:53 AM
Its just set to stop recording at 4gb in the code.

What does that mean? There is no actual limit then? We can keep recording?

arian_dd

Has anyone tried the raw2dng program on a 64bit machine? How do you use this program? I tried to add an .exe extension to it and run it but it doesn't work.

squig

Quote from: bumkicho on May 14, 2013, 05:37:42 AM
What does that mean? There is no actual limit then? We can keep recording?

With a code change you can keep recording till your card fills up or your camera explodes, whichever comes first.
It's a good thing I wasn't really stoned when I saw that "your camera will explode" warning. A code freak with a sense of humour, who would have thought?

1%

I'm guessing this is so the files don't get too large since its testing stages and all that. H264 can be over 4gb on 600D.

ted ramasola

Loading may 14 build. The M tab where I can load the module is not there. Is the module shared by Coutts not yet included in this build?

Shall I still use the autoexec.bin with the raw_rec  for the 5d2 linked to by coutts earlier together with the module folder instead of this current build?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas