uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athiril

Quote from: AnotherDave on May 17, 2013, 01:59:14 PM
I think it is entirely possible to send the data that is offloading to the CF to a higher speed SSD via some sort of CF extender cable to SSD converter.  Fortunately, CF extender cables do exist... but currently there is no SSD to CF converter.

It has to be possible.  If one of you knows how to do it, go for it!  You'll be a millionaire thousandaire overnight!

This would solve all throughput problems and storage issues recording RAW from a DSLR if it worked, wouldn't it?

Not sure what the bus speed between buffer and CF card is in the 5D3. But the adapters are typically slow.

But there ARE bidirectional IDE<->SATA adapters that work in both directions, either IDE drive to SATA or SATA to IDE drive over the same adapter.

Hijack the IDE side into CF. Though not sure what the speed is of those devices.

1%

4GB limit isn't really a limit.. but the converters won't decode the large files.

a1ex

Huh? works for me for 5GB files (didn't try larger)

1%

AnotherDave

And it isn't possible to get the camera to process each frame as an individual .RAW file?

1%

Its slower. Wish it was fast enough for some sort of dumb compression like zip, etc.

AnotherDave

I find that the average shot (on a non-hacked camera for work), for me, rolls for around 2-3 mins for each take.

That would be a 15-16GB .RAW file, wouldn't it? 

What is the issue with the converters not being able to convert past 4GB?  Could you break a larger file up into 4GB segments before converting it?

How likely do you think it would be that we will be able to roll for 2-3 mins?

Nicolai1227

Just tryed out the RAW function, (5D3 with a SanDisk 16GB 60MB/s) ML v.2.3.NEXT.2013May17.5D3113

It all seemed pretty good, I was trying out a few different resolutions not higher than 1280*720 when an err came up.

Now the Card doesnt show up on the Computer, or works in the Camera. Formating in the Kamera wont work, it freezes.

A dialog came up saying, writting bug report. But where can I find it so you Guys know what happened?

I took another CF Card (same modell) and recorded again, worked all fine. Also the footage is great.

Great Work love it :D

lourenco

Quote from: 1% on May 17, 2013, 05:57:43 PM
4GB limit isn't really a limit.. but the converters won't decode the large files.

What about just trying to create a new raw movie file  at the 4GB limit?
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

1%

I guess that would work.. but new files will slow things down. It can already record till the end of the card. I need to see why its not opening.

MD87

Greetings, gents. I have a problem in the 600D is at stake with a nightly build unpack [600D] Raw HDR.zip. However, when you start the camera module writes that "MAGIC.SYM notes exist". but the file is in the folder "modules". And not load rav_rets. What am I doing wrong? I'm sorry if this question has been, my English is very bad.
600D+ TL. CANON 50 F1.8 II; TAMRON  17-50 F2.8 VC; CANON 18-135; MIR-1B 37 F2.8; JUPITER-37A 135 F3.5.

a1ex

QuoteOn linux binary or windows binary?

Both of them; tried the windows one under wine.

N/A

Quote from: MD87 on May 17, 2013, 07:06:47 PM
Greetings, gents. I have a problem in the 600D is at stake with a nightly build unpack [600D] Raw HDR.zip. However, when you start the camera module writes that "MAGIC.SYM notes exist". but the file is in the folder "modules". And not load rav_rets. What am I doing wrong? I'm sorry if this question has been, my English is very bad.
Place the MODULES folder into the ML folder
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Felixlgr

Quote from: 1% on May 17, 2013, 06:49:21 PM
I guess that would work.. but new files will slow things down. It can already record till the end of the card. I need to see why its not opening.

whats the trick to let it fill up the card and not stop after 4gig ?

TIA and keep up the good work !!

1%

QuoteBoth of them; tried the windows one under wine.

So something wrong with the header... I set it to reset after 4gb but I thought that this stuff isn't written to it. Just res, # frames, frame size

lourenco

Quote from: Felixlgr on May 17, 2013, 07:14:44 PM
whats the trick to let it fill up the card and not stop after 4gig ?

TIA and keep up the good work !!

I noticed he change the raw_rec.c code from being  if (written > 0xFFFFFFFFu - ((uint32_t)buffer_count + 1) * 32*1024*1024)
to if (0) .   This way it does not stop until the memory card is full or until the user decides to stop.   He might had changed more code since I last look at it a few days ago.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

MD87

Quote from: N/A on May 17, 2013, 07:10:46 PM
Place the MODULES folder into the ML folder
Tuplyu...  Thank you!
600D+ TL. CANON 50 F1.8 II; TAMRON  17-50 F2.8 VC; CANON 18-135; MIR-1B 37 F2.8; JUPITER-37A 135 F3.5.

1%

I can try to cast the int64 to int and do it that way. We'll see if the files open then.

a1ex

I've also tried to remove the 4GB check, but I've got files without footer (which can't be converted). So it stays there until we have a better solution.

iaremrsir

I've been reading through all of the pages in this thread and I can't remember seeing anything about this. On the newest 600d build (edmac popin) from 1% it seems as if the ISO is being baked into the dng files. Adjusting exposure in ACR didn't help at all.

N/A

Quote from: 1% on May 17, 2013, 07:41:40 PM
I can try to cast the int64 to int and do it that way. We'll see if the files open then.
Don't mean to change subjects, but the newest 600D build has a bug, 5x zoom in photo and movie mode works fine with either raw_rec disabled, or enabled with global draw off. With GD and raw_rec on, even with just a histogram, 5x zoom gets distorted and B&W.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

a1ex

Felixlgr

Quote from: lourenco on May 17, 2013, 07:24:42 PM
I noticed he change the raw_rec.c code from being  if (written > 0xFFFFFFFFu - ((uint32_t)buffer_count + 1) * 32*1024*1024)
to if (0) .   This way it does not stop until the memory card is full or until the user decides to stop.   He might had changed more code since I last look at it a few days ago.

so basically latest build (may17th) can record larger than 4GB files ? but we cant convert them yet right ?

1%

Yep, that is the preview.

I got the indicator to work with casting.. still only shows size up to 4gb but now written is int64.. I'll see if the file opens..

If it works may be worth taking both halves and then displaying total

Colemar

for those who are interested, I posted a blog yesterday with basics on what ML is and currently does, and a straightforward workflow for processing .raw files: http://shop.texasmediasystems.com/and-Canon-will-now-sell-a-grip-of-5DmkIIIs_b_5.html

for this forum's members, a lot will be redundant knowledge, but still worth a look.