14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmee

Hey Guys. for actual Discussion i thought about a A/B-Comparison of CR2 and lv_rec-RAW. Is there any chance to read out the whole sensor? Fundamentally we discuss about "how equal are both outputs"..

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

SoulState

What is best way to convert silent pic dng's to use in Lightroom or AE ACR plugin?
I have Lightrom 3.4 and After Effects 5.5 with ACR plugin, but both programs can't open RAW DNG. I tryed to use latest abobe dng converter v8.1.043, but no success(((
DNG silent pics from 60d camera.

SoulState

Just installed latest lightroom 5.2 RC, but it's all the same crap.
WTF? How you people open silent dng's?

Can

Quote from: SoulState on August 06, 2013, 03:21:19 PM
Just installed latest lightroom 5.2 RC, but it's all the same crap.
WTF? How you people open silent dng's?

I use ACR (opens with PS), or some folks use ufraw. It's in the beginning of the thread.

SoulState

Quote from: Can on August 06, 2013, 03:39:21 PM
I use ACR (opens with PS), or some folks use ufraw. It's in the beginning of the thread.

What version of ACR & PS do you use?
Can you try to open this file with your ACR, please?...
http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/56214344/file.html

SoulState

Ok, tryed latest PS with ACR 8.1 with no result. Not supported format again.
What's wrong with 60D dng raws?

Franzkekko

Hi folks!  :)
I did a timelapse test this afternoon to try capturing a sunset, silent Pictures + ETTR + Deflicker with XMP sidecar.
I set 400 shots and all seemed ok, except that then in post with lightroom it imported just first 212 shots and gave me an error opening last 187 pics.

Same error trying to open DNGs of the second part of tl with UFRaw, ACR or RawTherapee.

Do anyone know what may be the trouble? :)

Working DNG and XMP:
00000009.DNG
00000009.XMP

Don't Working DNG with related xmp
00000335.DNG
00000335.XMP

P.S. don't look at the pole, i'm planning to take it down with a saw  8) :D ;D
Thanks in advance! ;)
Canon Eos 550D with ML ... canon 18-55mm IS ii f/3.5-5.6 ... Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM

Marsu42

Quote from: Francis on April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM
Where does the 2040x1428 res come from on the 5d2?

On 6D, all I get is 1824x1224 - am I doing something wrong, or is the 6D lv res really inferior to the 5d2 and this is the max. it delivers (unless of course the recently discussed update is applied)?

a1ex

That's all it delivers, silent pics are not cropped at all. 2040 includes the optical black areas (develop the silent pics with dcraw -E to see them; this switch is undocumented, but I need it for cr2hdr).

akumiszcza

I've tried using Best Shots options in Silent Pics module (latest nightly, Canon 50D). Each series ended up with first photo OK, all the rest just noise.

Example: https://mega.co.nz/#!IUlBhSCA!f6-9zAjzOfSmSGTGp0jqxHuT4ztIpY-xqwta3rZ-IZU

Burst mode worked fine.

a1ex

IIRC, the 50D does not output any focus quality metric, so "best shots" will not work. I should remove it from menu.

far.in.out

EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Audionut

Burst mode is only working when using the back button.  Half shutter reports that frames are being buffered but only 1 image is being saved.
Wasn't there discussion about moving focus to back button so it didn't move focus while firing off shots?

Marsu42

Fyi: This is currently broken on 60d (works on 6d), at least I couldn't get it to work anymore. I'm cross-posting this information here since it *used* to work and this is a regression´... people might end up like me with unexpected and unfortunate dead shots :-\

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1719/silent-pictures-broken-on-60d

escho

Quote from: Marsu42 on October 20, 2013, 05:15:00 PM
Fyi: This is currently broken on 60d (works on 6d), at least I couldn't get it to work anymore. I'm cross-posting this information here since it *used* to work and this is a regression´... people might end up like me with unexpected and unfortunate dead shots :-\

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1719/silent-pictures-broken-on-60d

600d: no problems

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

a1ex

Same here on 5D3 (all OK).

@Marsu42: try recompiling the module. If that fixes the problem, we should bump the module API number.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 20, 2013, 05:59:28 PM
@Marsu42: try recompiling the module. If that fixes the problem, we should bump the module API number.

Ugh? I just recompiled the whole thing inc. make clean from unmodified trunk, and I've even reset the ml config and enabled silent.mo as the only module - it just produces black dng files.

As I wrote, it's also working fine on 6d for me using the same compilation method, so this seems to be a 60d-specific regression, the first time I noticed it was a couple of days ago when I came home with broken silent focus stacks.

a1ex

Can't check on 60D right now; can you upload a DNG?

Marsu42

a1ex

Humm... it's empty; is raw video working?

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 20, 2013, 06:51:47 PM
Humm... it's empty

Agreeing on that is a good start :->

Quote from: a1ex on October 20, 2013, 06:51:47 PM
; is raw video working?

Speaking of which ... I just tried the new mlv_rec and mlv_dump was also complaining empty frames or something like this (I don't have deleted the raw file since as I never do raw video anyway - I can redo it again if it helps). What's up with your 60d - bricked again :-p ?

a1ex

I don't have it with me right now.

Empty frames?! sounds like something in the raw backend...

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 20, 2013, 06:57:08 PM
I don't have it with me right now.

it would be really nice to get it working again as it's now mushroom time and I'd like to shoot some silent focus stacks with it, but now that I know it's broken it's hardly a matter of hours... unless it's really necessary I'd prefer not to revert-search for the last ml build that worked as I have no idea how long it's been broken. Raw zebras/histogram are working btw.

a1ex

If you or any other 60D owner can do a hg bisect and find the changeset that broke it, it will be very helpful.

The cool thing about hg bisect is that you only need log(n) tests, so if you want to locate a bug in 1024 changesets, you need only 10 test runs on the camera to find the changeset that broke it.

I've recompiled the nightly builds roughly one hour ago; is it also broken with these builds? Just to rule out toolchain problems or custom modifications.