14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

Quote from: dfsgfeiuhd on May 08, 2013, 03:07:47 AM
Wow, it's getting there. If one can get it to record around 4s of 24 fps DNG Video (fps override active or not), the feature is powerful enough for ~95% of my applications. No more h264, I am super excited!!!

I think we now should find some good frame blending solution. I was testing LV_rec feature with different framerates (FPS override) on 6D (with sandisk extreme 64GB 45mbit/s)

LV_rec (single file, raw recording 1820x720p)
15 fps - 517 frames ~22 sec of movie at 24 fps
17 fps - 201 ~ 8 sec
18 fps - 152 ~ 6,5 sec
19 fps - 131 ~ 5,5 sec
20 fps - 116 ~ 5 sec
21 fps - 108 ~ 4,5 sec
22 fps - 97 ~ 4 sec
24 fps - 85 ~ 3,5 sec

I use HDR function a lot, with 35 fps override I have 17,5 fps (dark and light frames) and make frame blending with twixtor. When there is no fast action (I am using it mostly with slider motions) it looks very very nice, no visible ghosting. I believe, that we could achieve similar results with RAW. You said, that 4 seconds is enough  so framerate would be around 22-21 fps which I think should be good even for faster motion.
With burst no matter what fps settings are it gives me 67 DNG frames  - with slow movement, 16-17fps override and good frame blending we could have ~ 4 seconds of footage.

Unfortunatelly I couldn't make twixtor work with DNG's but maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe twixtor cannot handle RAW files. We have to wait also for the moment when someone find a way to process those Lv_rec RAW recording.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

kgv5

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 08, 2013, 09:06:51 AM
After Effects CS3 and up. Others say Lightroom Havent tried that, only AE.

You mean RAW single file recording from Lv_rec module? I tried and  AE CS6 doesn't work for me.
1% said before , that it is not contenerized yet or something (am I right?)

ted ramasola

oooh. I meant the DNGs from burst mode. I did not know that the raw files from the LVrec is a different beast.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

kgv5

I don't know exactly if this is the same but I hope so.

So maybe someone could write with a simple language what is the main difference between RAW DNG burst and RAW recording mode in LV_rec module? Thanks

vfx_junkie

AE cs6 can't open single RAW file not even PS or PR
600D kit lense + 50 1.8

1%

DNGs from Lvrec are packed and don't have a header. I think to open them you need to see what it does in the source when it saves them in burst mode. Nobody has made a script or processor for them yet. Will get you double yields once there is a way to use them.

noisyboy

Quote from: vfx_junkie on May 08, 2013, 10:07:49 AM
AE cs6 can't open single RAW file not even PS or PR

Hey :)

You can open in AE, Lightroom or PS so take your pic :) AE is the obvious choice and if you select the first one and check the "raw sequence" checkbox it'll import them all as a sequence for you. The problems you are facing might be due to not having the latest Adboe Camera Raw plugin installed. A quick google search might help you find it (sorry, hate it when people don't just link to the actual thing they are talking about but Im a bit short on time).

noisyboy

That was assuming you mean captured from silent pic burst mode? I probably should have bothered reading the thread first  :P

kgv5

Quote from: noisyboy on May 08, 2013, 04:48:24 PM
Hey :)

You can open in AE, Lightroom or PS so take your pic :) AE is the obvious choice and if you select the first one and check the "raw sequence" checkbox it'll import them all as a sequence for you. The problems you are facing might be due to not having the latest Adboe Camera Raw plugin installed. A quick google search might help you find it (sorry, hate it when people don't just link to the actual thing they are talking about but Im a bit short on time).

I am not saying about RAW DNG sequence friom burst mode. I am talking about RAW which is recorded in Lvrec module, these are completely different things. When you select "one file" you get SINGLE file (with say 150 frames inside) with .raw extension.

1%

Yep... LVrec .raw vs .dng from burst.

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 08, 2013, 04:53:12 PM
I am not saying about RAW DNG sequence friom burst mode. I am talking about RAW which is recorded in Lvrec module, these are completely different things. When you select "one file" you get SINGLE file (with say 150 frames inside) with .raw extension.

Ah - sorry! Well that's me firmly confused. I don't even know what Lvrec is (keep reading about it but still thouroughly puzzled). From your description I get what it is but have no idea how to use it or even where it is so it't probably best for all involved if I quietly walk away  :-X

Anyone got a brief synopsis to fill a friendly novice in? :)

kgv5

No problem  :D When someone will figure out how to use recorded .raw files we all will be extremely  happy.

a1ex

This is the LVREC thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5247

In this thread we are talking about DNG silent pics (which you can open). This method is limited to small bursts (50 frames or so) and it's not suitable for continuous recording, because creating the DNGs in camera is quite slow.

LVREC is research code for continuous recording, and it's not yet ready to use for beginners. You get raw image dumps and you have to do all the cooking yourself, in post. Right now the only way is to modify chdk-dng.c, compile it for the PC, and tweak everything manually. Or, write your own converter. If you don't know how, just wait.

And g3gg0 said it very clearly: "This code will only work when compiled from repository (there is no release yet)". Please respect that.

wolf

I'm just curios.
If the RAW DNG silent pic would work on a legendary 550D, would it be larger than 1056x704 or would it only differ in codec?
Edit:Grammar

kgv5

Quote from: a1ex on May 08, 2013, 05:21:32 PM

In this thread we are talking about DNG silent pics (which you can open). This method is limited to small bursts (50 frames or so) and it's not suitable for continuous recording, because creating the DNGs in camera is quite slow.

LVREC is research code for continuous recording, and it's not yet ready to use for beginners. You get raw image dumps and you have to do all the cooking yourself, in post. Right now the only way is to modify chdk-dng.c, compile it for the PC, and tweak everything manually. Or, write your own converter. If you don't know how, just wait.

And g3gg0 said it very clearly: "This code will only work when compiled from repository (there is no release yet)". Please respect that.

Very sorry for messing in this topic. We are respecting your outstanding work guys, really, you are awesome. ML became so popular that there are many many people who knows nothing about programming (including me in the first place) and we are just curious how things works.

a1ex

Quote from: wolf on May 08, 2013, 06:16:40 PM
If the RAW DNG silent pic would work on a legendary 550D, would the be larger than 1056x704 or would the only differ in codec?

Try to guess with the edmac tool (hit don't click me to enable the raw flag, then compare the edmac status before and after).

noisyboy

Quote from: a1ex on May 08, 2013, 05:21:32 PM

Woah, I meant no disrespect a1ex, I just wondered what it was dude. I have no interest in meddling with things I don't understand. No offence intended  :)

duncanidaho25

Thanks for this explanation.  I'm a beginner and have also been trying to figure out the LV_REC.  I will wait patiently (as patiently as I can anyway), and continue to play with the DNG files. 

Thanks for all your hard work Magic Lantern!
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

Africashot

I used the silent pics function yesterday during a shoot for a client, rather accidentally as the initial idea was to do a motion controlled HDR timelapse.
My intention was to shoot the TL in sRAW2 but the CF card I had in my 5D2 at the time happened to be the one with the nightly built on it, thus when I had it all set up and hit the shutter button and it started recording silent pics instead of the regular shots I had initial expected.
Generally it worked well, except for the fact that roughly 3-5% of the DNGs are corrupted (it looks as if it was a shot between frames of which one portion is completely magenta, I'll post samples if necessary although I assume anyone who has played with this function has seen those frames) In this case I was able to fix it in post but I could see this being a real challenge in other situations.
Another thing I have noticed is that due to the extra resolution the Moire gets extremely bad, I re-shot the same scene in h.264 HDR video and due to its softness it shows no moire whatsoever on places where  the DNG version shows almost fluorescent rainbow patterns, I guess the only way to fix this is an optical filter though.
I am not sure if this helps at all but since I can't help with the coding I am trying to at least assist with some feedback. And of course I can't thank all the developers enough for the amazing work they are doing!
ML 5D2 & T3i

ted ramasola

which nightly build was it? Because I recalled the magenta'pinkish cast was somewhat addressed in later builds.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Rush

Quote from: Africashot on May 09, 2013, 08:26:24 AM
Another thing I have noticed is that due to the extra resolution the Moire gets extremely bad, I re-shot the same scene in h.264 HDR video and due to its softness it shows no moire whatsoever on places where  the DNG version shows almost fluorescent rainbow patterns, I guess the only way to fix this is an optical filter though.
Check that your RAW import software don't raise sharpness. And you can get rid of most color patterns with Lightroom:
Greetings from Russia!

Africashot

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 09, 2013, 09:38:25 AM
which nightly build was it? Because I recalled the magenta'pinkish cast was somewhat addressed in later builds.

Not really 100% sure what the nightly built was, I am guessing anytime between 1 - 3 May, is there a way to check?
It is also not a 'cast' what I am talking about (Lightroom imports with magenta levels somewhere at around 45 or so but this is simply adjusted by bringing it back to 0 or whatever works) I mean actually broken frames as you can see here:
Normal:

Broken:

Or another one:

I see it more frequently when using the zoom function, nevertheless it randomly appears on 3 - 5 of the shots out of 100 in 1880 - 1250 too...
ML 5D2 & T3i

Africashot

Quote from: Rush on May 09, 2013, 10:51:54 AM
Check that your RAW import software don't raise sharpness. And you can get rid of most color patterns with Lightroom:

Yup, I have noticed that; Lightroom adds sharpness and I did defringe, nevertheless it is areas like this I find hard to deal with:

Nevertheless, what Lightroom version are you using, I think I am on 4.3 and can't find the advanced defringe option I see on your screenshot but kinda remember seeing it on maybe LR3?
ML 5D2 & T3i

ted ramasola

Quote from: Africashot on May 09, 2013, 11:47:10 AM
Not really 100% sure what the nightly built was, I am guessing anytime between 1 - 3 May, is there a way to check?
It is also not a 'cast' what I am talking about (Lightroom imports with magenta levels somewhere at around 45 or so but this is simply adjusted by bringing it back to 0 or whatever works) I mean actually broken frames as you can see here:

Update with the latest build. If you have read this thread it has been fixed waaay back.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

What camera? On 600D and 6D this does not happen for burst pics. There is a pink cast on *SOME* correctly sized DNGs... you could fix this pre photo with black level or in post with AWB. When they're all cut like that its a miss sync.