14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfsgfeiuhd

Awesome! I'll patiently await this feature then. So far, I am psyched: This is huge and I am even starting to like my 600d again as a video camera.

I forgot: Using Adobe Camera Raw 7.2 the white balance could be fixed. I had quite a bit of purple, but the fix was easy so I do not mind at all.

And: With the nightly and the raw add-on can I still format the card in camera? I haven't tried that yet since I did not want to corrupt the card.

1%

I don't think anything changed with 600D in regards to formatting.

We might get lucky and the raws won't have the sync problem... right now its for YUV... frames 1-24 ok, frames 25-1XX get all wonky like the example posted.

duncanidaho25

I'v used burst mode, but what is "LV_REC" how do I do that?

I'm using a 5D mark ii

Thanks
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

CFP

Quote from: 1% on May 07, 2013, 12:35:37 AM
I don't think anything changed with 600D in regards to formatting.
Well, but something did change  ;)

If you format your SD-card inside the 600D and chose to 'keep ML', your 'MODULES' folder will disapear. So if you try to load the modules after that you'll get an error ...

I would definitely call that a change "in regards to formatting"  ;D

duncanidaho25: LV_REC is a module to record RAW and YUV video but it's still far away from being perfect and I think it is not yet available for 5DII?

Andy600

I'm not sure if this has any relevance but I was reading John Brawley's overview of the new BMCC cameras and when he talks about the pocket camera he says:

"In fact, there has apparently always been an allowance for compressed RAW in the DNG specifications, it's just very few of the existing DNG applications have implemented it."

from this article: http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/the-pocket-rocket-blackmagic-downsizes-the-bmcc-and-does-a-4k-upsize-of-the-orginal/

Are the DNG files we get from the Canon already compressed?

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about this stuff :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

g3gg0

not canon makes the DNG, but ML does it (using CHDK code)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Michael Zöller

For what it's worth, here are some specs for lossy DNG from the official 1.4 DNG docs:
QuoteCompression

Two Compression tag values are supported in DNG versions before 1.4.0.0:
• Value = 1: Uncompressed data.
• Value = 7: JPEG compressed data, either baseline DCT JPEG, or lossless JPEG compression.If PhotometricInterpretation = 6 (YCbCr) and BitsPerSample = 8/8/8, or if PhotometricInterpretation = 1 (BlackIsZero) and BitsPerSample = 8, then the JPEG variant  must be baseline DCT JPEG.

Otherwise, the JPEG variant must be lossless Huffman JPEG. For lossless JPEG, the internal width/length/components in the JPEG stream are not required to match the strip or tile's width/length/components. Only the total sample counts need to match. It is common for CFA images to be encoded with a different width, length or component count to allow the JPEG compression predictors to work across like colors.

DNG Version 1.4.0.0 adds support for the following compression codes:
• Value = 8: Deflate (ZIP)
• Value = 34892: Lossy JPEG
Deflate (8 ) compression is allowed for floating point image data, 32-bit integer image data and transparency mask data. Lossy JPEG (34892) is allowed for IFDs that use PhotometricInterpretation = 34892 (LinearRaw) and 8-bit integer data. This new compression code is required to let the DNG reader know to use a lossy JPEG decoder rather than a lossless JPEG decoder for this combination of PhotometricInterpretation and BitsPerSample.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

1%

Zip? Wouldn't that be easy on the proc... as in no real image processing.

a1ex

Back from a short holiday, still catching up with the news.

I've just commited some things I've been tinkering with, while I was offline. Some of the neat stuff:

- Memory benchmarks (memcpy & friends). On 5D3, newlib memcpy does around 75 MB/s and dma_memcpy does around 100.

- We now know how to allocate large contiguous memory blocks (up to 32 MB).

- All cameras now have full exmem support, so porting this DNG stuff should be easier.

- A burst mode that only saves the best shots to the card. Works great on 5D3, but I doubt it will work well on 5D2. Try it e.g. on a dog running towards you, it should autodetect the focused shots.

- Revisited the slit-scan mode (now you can get distorted DNGs like this).

That's it for now; I thought you were already recording 3K footage at 24p :P

1%

67 frames now in 720P24 so new memory changes are good...

Also... real easy way to see whats going on... change pic quality and go look at shoot malloc total in memory info... 6D is 83M (mraw/sraw/raw+anything) or 152mb (raw, any jpeg). 600D goes from like 70mb to 103mb if you put the sraw hack on.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on May 07, 2013, 09:45:11 PM

Waits patiently for the TL2 build ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Heh, well I'll up new 6D and 600D soon... with fixed MZ for 24p... still no go on the YUV tho.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on May 07, 2013, 09:50:49 PM
Heh, well I'll up new 6D and 600D soon... with fixed MZ for 24p... still no go on the YUV tho.

Cheers :) TBH I'm having more fun with DNGs so YUV isn't a problem for me. Nice tip about memory info!

dfsgfeiuhd

Quote from: 1% on May 07, 2013, 09:45:11 PM

getting there, awesome! Do I need the new nightly build for that or just the new extra file?

1%

Anything with LVrec needs new MAGIC.SYM (sometimes new lv_rec.mo) and autoexec

dfsgfeiuhd

Noted. Where can I get these? Last time, a user pointed me towards a download location but I could not find any general link to the latest files. I'd like to help development by testing.

dfsgfeiuhd

Bookmarked! The version with the increased frame number is easy cut?

1%

dfsgfeiuhd

Can't wait to test it. Those 5 downloads, are the all for the Raw-feature and different (=updated) versions or also unrelated hacks? The filenames are a bit confusing and hint in another direction i.e. different features.

1%

Just get the latest... previous builds are just there if there is a regression. It adds on top of itself, so you don't want older builds where features weren't developed yet.

Aaaaand.. 6D has 256MB shoot malloc not in LV.. has to be  a way to pull a 600D and increase... would get quite a few more pics.

duncanidaho25

5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

dfsgfeiuhd

Quote from: 1% on May 07, 2013, 10:53:26 PM
Aaaaand.. 6D has 256MB shoot malloc not in LV.. has to be  a way to pull a 600D and increase... would get quite a few more pics.

Wow, it's getting there. If one can get it to record around 4s of 24 fps DNG Video (fps override active or not), the feature is powerful enough for ~95% of my applications. No more h264, I am super excited!!!

vfx_junkie

hey guys with what do you open this raw files I can't open them with anything

I am new here, but I have been using ML for a long time now :D
600D kit lense + 50 1.8

ted ramasola

After Effects CS3 and up. Others say Lightroom Havent tried that, only AE.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas