14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 05, 2013, 07:58:18 AM
Hi
in a 6D in the canon menu there is an option to make a new folder, after one burst i am just creating and choosing new destination folder, after shooting i have my bursts in separate places. It helps a lot. I don't know if other cameras have such feature but it is worth to check.

Lucky for me I have a 6D :) That's a good idea - thanks!

Quote from: mucher on May 05, 2013, 09:23:11 AM
as far as I know, that BPC uses a lossless compressed format:CinemaDNG 12bit RAW, that will take a processor that can compress the file in real-time, obviously 5d2, 5d3 and 7d or likes do not have that ability built-in.

Ah - I see :) Yeah, that would make sense!

1%

All cameras can create dir... I don't know why it isn't used.

stevefal

Quote from: 1% on May 05, 2013, 03:45:45 PM
Well if that YUV to jpeg path could be used somehow then we'd get YUV 4:2:2 jpeg as video at least. Can't compress the DNG with CPU so would need to user parts of the camera designed to this to shrink it unless there is some CPU easy way to compress it you could recover on the computer.

If that was possible, and you had access to the upstream color quantization parameters, it might be possible to generate two JPEGs per frame, one for 8 high bits and one for the 6 low bits. Then generate 14/16-bit images through an HDR workflow and you'd have full sensor range.
Steve Falcon

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 05, 2013, 05:52:55 PM

If all cameras can do this is there a way you wizards can make the camera create a new dir after each burst or is that just crazy talk?

1%

Possible, just tried but no workee... I think it has to pass the directory and most of the functions are set to just pass the file name.

kgv5

Quote from: 1% on May 05, 2013, 05:52:55 PM

550D doesn't have such option, everything goes to one dir.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Rush

Quote from: kgv5 on May 05, 2013, 08:32:29 PM
550D doesn't have such option, everything goes to one dir.
Check Canon Menu->Select Folder (first page of settings)
Greetings from Russia!

1%

FIO_CreateDirectory is on all cameras I've looked at. Just how to integrate it....

kgv5

I have it (550D) in my hand right now and i cannot find it anywhere in a canon stock menu. I saw this feature first time when i bought 6D.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 05, 2013, 08:16:31 PM
Possible, just tried but no workee... I think it has to pass the directory and most of the functions are set to just pass the file name.

Cool! This would make life a whole lot easier if you figure it out. Not the end of the world if you can't though :)

1%

550D its just not in GUI... canon still makes those DCIM folders.

vstrglv

Quote from: CFP on May 03, 2013, 10:29:35 PM
and the picture size set to "sRAW" inside the ML menu.

I can not find this in ML menu. MKIII
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

kgv5

Me neither. I don't know where it is. 6D

Alia5

sRAW in ML-Menu is for 600D
I guess you should choose sRAW in normal canan-dialog

1%

Sraw trick doesn't work for 6D or any digicV I think. I tried raw, L, S3... when i started switching around I got more frames. When I tried sraw it only allocated 83MB and got less frames. Maybe there is  a difference between those but not sure.

Primary

Quote from: stevefal on May 05, 2013, 06:24:32 PM
If that was possible, and you had access to the upstream color quantization parameters, it might be possible to generate two JPEGs per frame, one for 8 high bits and one for the 6 low bits. Then generate 14/16-bit images through an HDR workflow and you'd have full sensor range.

It sounds good. Nice idea.
Could we solve this problem? I think it's betten than the original video quality. I wait for the solution.

CFP

Quote from: 1% on May 04, 2013, 05:15:01 PM
I have to check on the zoom frames, post an example.
Sorry for the late reply. Here's an example as well as two normal images. I hope that helps you:

- ML DNG with zoom
- ML DNG without zoom
- Normal CR2

All images were taken with the same settings in 'M' mode. I've used yesterday's nightly build. I took about 200 frames, but all of them had that strange color cast. So I'm quite sure that they aren't just corupted.

I've changed a lot of settings but I haven't found any option that may cause this. But nobody else has that problem, right? So I guess I'm doing something wrong. Any idea what I could try to get rid of that ... purpleness?  :D

Btw. the 720p DNGs look stretched, but this is normal, isn't it? Or is anything wrong with my camera?

1%

I updated the sizes so that shouldn't happen on latest build.

The stretching does seem to happen, I think that's how it looks. Both on 6D and 600D and M there was some stretch.

Rush

QuoteBtw. the 720p DNGs look stretched, but this is normal, isn't it? Or is anything wrong with my camera?
It is not stretching but horizontal line skipping of 1080p
Greetings from Russia!

CFP

Yeah but it looks stretched because of the line skipping. But if that is normal I don't care. I just wanted to make sure my 600D is okay.

I'll try the latest build and see if that helps. Thank you guys  :)

AlexVakulov

vstrglv

Is the MAX frames only 29 for 1920p MKIII? Too small.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Rush

Quote from: vstrglv on May 06, 2013, 10:00:11 PM
Is the MAX frames only 29 for 1920p MKIII? Too small.
I think that 1920x720 RAWs can be 60p - it is better than H.264 1080p in terms of quality (correct me if I am wrong).
(But for video - required card speed is double over 30p, so I am not sure that it can be recorded continuous...)
Greetings from Russia!

dfsgfeiuhd

I tested the feature in the weekend on my 600d. I used different settings an am amazed by the quality.

At the moment, the camera fills the buffer and writes to card after the burst is completed i.e. the buffer is full. So no matter how fast the SC-Dard in the camera is, you always get a constant frame number depending on the settings chosen initially. I used two fast San Disk SDHC cards (Extreme II and Extereme HD) as well as a very slow 512 MB SD card. The results are the same.

Is there a way to write from the buffer to the card while filling it in parallel? This should squeeze some more frames out. I'll take even 10 more frames :) And for time lapse photography, that should be the way to go.

I also used 12 fps and tried to double that in after effects by frame interpolation. Sometimes, that works but not for fast movement. It looks super-weird then...

1%

LV_REC will do this (well already does if you can process the files).... I think we need to find out how to sync 600D properly, first. Somehow burst mode doesn't have this problem but lvrec does..