14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

How did you managed to get over 50 frames in such resolution? With 6d in 1280x720p i am getting 1840x632 (and yes, usually 53 frames), but when i set 1920x1080 i get 1840x1221 and not more than 29 frames. I have sandisk extreme 45 MB/s but i think, that in this moment it doesnt matter, everything probably is about buffer size...
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Yoshiyuki Blade

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if you set the picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW in the default camera menu, you may get some more frames out of it. That's how I went from 36 frames to 51 with the 5D2. Not sure if it works on the 6D too, but it's worth a try!

kgv5

Thanks,  i have checked and unfortunatelly it doesnt work. No, i said wrong, actually it does work but with RAW  (doesnt matter which raw, mraw, sraw)+jpeg all i have is 15 frames and with RAW off - JPEG only - up to 29 frames  :-\  It seems, that 5d2 has more buffer space or maybe there is some other settings...

DTSET123

QuoteAs someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if you set the picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW in the default camera menu, you may get some more frames out of it. That's how I went from 36 frames to 51 with the 5D2. Not sure if it works on the 6D too, but it's worth a try!

It does! I just jumped from 29 to 53 dng in 720p (1840x632) on 6d. I have the Sandisk Extreme 128Gb 45MB
I set jpeg to S and turned off the RAW in canon menu

kgv5

Yes, as i said, in 720p i also have 53 frames, unfortunatelly in 1080 those 29 frames are totally unusable...

CFP

Quote from: dfsgfeiuhd on May 03, 2013, 08:08:06 PM
I downloaded the nightly build and will test the feature on my 600d in the weekend. I briefly tried it yesterday night but the camera recorded 422 files in burst mode. However, one user here mentioned the 600d so I was wondering how to set it up (which settings to choose) to get the raw recording going.
At first you need to put the files from this link onto your SD Card: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads

Just replace your current "AUTOEXEC.bin" with that new one, and drag & drop the "MODULES" folder into your ML folder. And rename your "scripts" folder to "SCRIPTS".

Than you can either use the silent pictures to record "RAW video" or the new module - but that crashes all the time on my 600D ...

For the silent pictures, I've got the best results in 720p 60 fps mode with "FPS override" set to 10, 24 or 30 fps and the picture size set to "sRAW" inside the ML menu.

I'm able to get 37 frames in 1740 X 692 and 22 frames in 1740 X 1154 ... Not that much (~ 1s footage), but the image quality is just AMAZING! Way better than H.264.

So, thank you guys! You are amazing! I'm really looking forward to your next progress :)

killr0y

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on May 03, 2013, 08:25:54 PM
Also, my public sharing limit for dropbox was reached again, haha. I guess I can try hosting it somewhere else, like Mega if you guys think it's a good idea. I'm not a fan of uploading to a video service (youtube, vimeo, etc.) since they recompress the files.

Please do!  I'd like to see it even if it gets a bit mangled by youtube or vimeo. :P

aaphotog

So, I just tried shooting the raw pics(using sd card gets me about 25 frames)
Tried on the small jpeg like posted and got 50 frames. loaded it up, and the preview that the mac shows me is a pink tint(was doing this previously but white balance fixed it) but when I load into after effects or lightroom 4, all i see is black and green and white balance changes NOTHING!
Thinking it was because I was shooting JPG, I went back to small raw(getting 25 frames) and still the same thing(finder shows the image, just a pink cast over it. But when loading into a software, all I see is black and green).
Anyone know what may be causing this?

aaphotog

Quote from: aaphotog on May 04, 2013, 12:29:18 AM
So, I just tried shooting the raw pics(using sd card gets me about 25 frames)
Tried on the small jpeg like posted and got 50 frames. loaded it up, and the preview that the mac shows me is a pink tint(was doing this previously but white balance fixed it) but when I load into after effects or lightroom 4, all i see is black and green and white balance changes NOTHING!
Thinking it was because I was shooting JPG, I went back to small raw(getting 25 frames) and still the same thing(finder shows the image, just a pink cast over it. But when loading into a software, all I see is black and green).
Anyone know what may be causing this?

NVM hahaha figured it out. Do not use the flat picture profiles(ie. cinestyle)
Changed the picture profile to neutral and everything loads correctly now.
Wonder why that would be happening... these are supposed to be raw, right?

1%

So you're getting effects from changing raw to jpeg? These things shouldn't affect LV. I get ~50 frames in 720P and ~29 in 1080P normally.

I'll give it a go tho. I'll try to tweak memory some like a1ex did to where I can get it to not freeze but its faster. I think 5 might have been too low.. I got it going with 8. I think backup suite has to be larger than allocated or the other way around.

600D: 26frames 720P with raw Q... 26frames in S3. GD on/off didn't make any difference either for silent pic mode... I think it did using LVrec

aaphotog

The messed up color comes from a picture style 'cinestyle'

1%

Picture style shouldn't apply to DNG but it WILL apply to YUV... also black level, put that up too much and it turns pink.

aaphotog

Quote from: 1% on May 04, 2013, 02:10:17 AM
Picture style shouldn't apply to DNG but it WILL apply to YUV... also black level, put that up too much and it turns pink.
what is YUV?

All I did was the burst mode, set it to 720p 60fps and over ride the fps to 24 and changed picture style. gave me a horrible image that i couldnt change. when I put picture style back to neutral, everything was ok.

Download cinestyle and try it. Maybe it was because of the curve that they put on the picture which I guess does bring up the black level(but that's baked into the picture style)

Africashot

51 frames on the 5D2 and 37 frames on the 600D over here... its getting better by the day! If there was a way of reaching +-240 frames I'd see myself using this very often.
ML 5D2 & T3i

Africashot

I have to take that back, turns out the 600D actually acts as if it was taking 37 frames, but then there are no DNGs on the card...
ML 5D2 & T3i

1%

Super neutral and marvel's .. no difference on 600D dng. I haven't tested the 3rd mode: hold/release but it should be working.

squig

I'm recording 51 frames @24fps 1080p on the MK2 (Sandisk extreme 60MB/s 8Gb) but I'm only getting 29 frames on the MK3 (with the Sandisk and a 600x Lexar). I'm getting 49 frames @ 720p.

Andy600

I'm getting 16 frames 1080p and 26 frames at 720p with FPS override at 24fps. Picture Styles don't affect the image here either (600d). Exposure and WB settings do seem to affect the image so far as pink casts etc but they are easily adjusted in post. It's a shame the buffer memory is so low because shooting DNG is amazing.

I'm sitting on the fence, waiting to see how things pan out with the 5d3 and raw/DNG shooting before I buy a new camera. The BMCC m4/3 is looking very tempting now.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dfsgfeiuhd

Quote from: CFP on May 03, 2013, 10:29:35 PM

For the silent pictures, I've got the best results in 720p 60 fps mode with "FPS override" set to 10, 24 or 30 fps and the picture size set to "sRAW" inside the ML menu.

Thanks for your hints. Installation worked, i like the new layout over the stable 2.3. So far I am happy. Two follow-up questions:

a) Where exactly is the sRAW setting in ML? I have the latest nightly installed and went through every option but cannot find it.
b) Do you use the silent picture workflow in continuous setting to shoot raw? I tried and it only records 422 files, no dngs.

Andy600

Card speed makes no difference to the amount of shots you can shoot with DNG. It only affects the speed at which the buffer dumps DNGs to the card when the buffer is full. I'm getting the same amount of shots with class 6, 10 and UHS-1 cards. (600d)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

CFP

Quote from: dfsgfeiuhd on May 04, 2013, 12:43:53 PM
a) Where exactly is the sRAW setting in ML? I have the latest nightly installed and went through every option but cannot find it.
b) Do you use the silent picture workflow in continuous setting to shoot raw? I tried and it only records 422 files, no dngs.
I've already told you: To record DNG on the EOS 600D you have to put these files onto your SD card: [600d]LvrecTest.zip ;)

Then you'll get DNG files and the option for SRAW. The nightly build itself isn't enough.

Quote from: Andy600 on May 04, 2013, 11:37:32 AM
I'm getting 16 frames 1080p and 26 frames at 720p with FPS override at 24fps.

Then you're doing something wrong ... Like I said, on my 600D I've got 37 frames with a resolution of 1740 X 692 (In 720p) and 22 frames with a resolution of 1740 X 1154 (In 1080p).

Make sure you set the "Pic Quality" inside the ML menu to "SRAW". After that switch the mode with the ontop dial or reboot your camera. Then you should get as many frames as I. (Be carefull, "MRAW" seems to reduce the amount of frames ...)

BTW. ML developers, could you please renable the 3-10x digital zoom on the 600D? I know, it's my fault that you disabled it, but I'm curious which resolution I get with more than 3x zoom ... :D

But I agree with you that the Picture Style doesn't affect the DNG images. But in 5x or 10x zoom mode (Not that one you've disabled, but the normal one) my images are completly purple !? That's no white balance issue, or at least I can't fix it with Lightroom 4. So on my 600D the zoom modes are pretty pointless. I wonder if this is normal?  :(

Edit: And again, I really want to thank you for all these stunning features you've given to us! I love ML!

Rush

QuoteBTW. ML developers, could you please renable the 3-10x digital zoom on the 600D? I know, it's my fault that you disabled it, but I'm curious which resolution I get with more than 3x zoom ...
You need to disable 1x-3x shortcut in ML menu to enable 3x...10x mode digital zoom.
Greetings from Russia!

Andy600

CFP - Thanks :) I hadn't switched modes but I just tried what you suggested and now getting the same 37 frames in 720p.

CFP

Thank you Rush! I didn't know that it is possible to renable the 3-10x zoom inside the ML menu.

But it seems like it doesn't affect the resolution or amount of frames. I get 25 frames with a resolution of 1804 X 1020.

But what's with my problem with the purple frames in 5x and 10x zoom (The focus assist zooms)? Is that normal? Do all 600D users have that? Or am I just doing something wrong? I get 19 frames with 2520 X 1148 in both modes but like I said, they are purple ... Which is sad because that high resolution might be very usefull  :(

@ Andy600: I'm glad that helped you :D

1%

QuoteBTW. ML developers, could you please renable the 3-10x digital zoom on the 600D? I know, it's my fault that you disabled it, but I'm curious which resolution I get with more than 3x zoom

I actually did, just didn't post an update. You can record YUV like this, I think dng isn't affected. Quality above 3x isn't so great but the buffer is small. At least you can tweak it to where you get a bunch more frames or probably even continous if you shrink it down far enough.

I have to check on the zoom frames, post an example. If they are REALLY REALLY pink, I need to alter the size. Mine seem to be coming out tho. Hmm.. maybe sync is a problem here. I get a corrupt frames sometimes that are all green or pink, look like RGB zebras :)

Lol, the sraw trick really seems to work, 26 frames now in crop, 23 in 1080P, 39 on 720P24. So like 10 more frames! 6D that doesn't work unfortunately. But 600D climbing up to 6D levels.