14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P337

Quote from: Francis on May 02, 2013, 07:43:28 AM
2K-ish is the resolution. It is perfect for time lapse. Not so perfect for video dreamers who immediately expect 2K raw @ 60FPS.

The biggest I got was 1880 x 1248, that was in 1080p mode without a 5x or 10x zoom, not sure how big the zoom mode would be, I know it's wider but shorter though.

squig

Looks like the Transcend 1000x is faster than the Lexar. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1202766 They're cheaper too, B&H are selling the 64Gb for $200.

domisol

Such great work. Thanks.
Using last nightly build (May02) on 5D2 with 600x Transcend CF.
Works great but sometimes a bad frame.
in case this helps I uploaded the bad frame here :
http://cembalo.free.fr/ml/87840019.DNG
as a reference eventualy good frame is here :
http://cembalo.free.fr/ml/87840020.DNG

Jean-David

shuggyrasklat

will someone please direct me to LV rec on the mkii

Alia5

on my 600d raw silent pics are a bit glitchy...
using them with fps ovverride at 7fps
sometimes the frames are 2046x1154 and completely broken

then again, sometimes i get working dngs in size 1740x1154

using 1% autoexe.bin from tragiclantern and did not compile myself tough

ch_d

Quote from: shuggyrasklat on May 02, 2013, 03:34:04 PM
will someone please direct me to LV rec on the mkii
Install ML (the nightly builds).
Go into the menu and set the silent pictures to "burst mode".
Turn on LV and hit the shutter halfways and fill your buffer with the dngs.
5D MII

shuggyrasklat

sorry, didnt realize, that was the name you coined it..hasnt it been called, what it is, "silent picture, burst mode?"

1%

Quotesometimes the frames are 2046x1154 and completely broken

Its from the less than stellar sync. 5DII has the same problem.

I tried for hours to get a find a good sync and have come up with nothing... everything updates 2 or 3 times per frame or not enough... in fact I can sync it to where MZ is not visible very easily but never to where it doesn't flicker and you can see it. PS. This is why shrinking the message queue worked a little bit.

When no sync is enabled it will use msleep which isn't accurate. Try a different fps if you're getting lots of duds.

Alia5

Why don't use a frameskip formula instead of using FPS-ovverride...

This way we could set like a frequency for silent pics in burst mode while the LV still refreshes with 24 oder 30 fps

For me this would be a whole lot more comfortable, also i havent had any problems when not using fps override

1%

You can use the frame skip, its in LV rec. For dng I don't know, until I figure out a way to containerize the files its pointless and stuck using burst mode.

tob

Quote from: squig on May 02, 2013, 09:12:14 AM
Looks like the Transcend 1000x is faster than the Lexar. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1202766 They're cheaper too, B&H are selling the 64Gb for $200.

I don't see any test between lexar 1000x and transcend 1000x?

dude

On the Lexar i had like 93 mb/s

minimimi

How to calculate saved .yuv fps?

Modified
I'm sorry , I had a mistaken to write another board....

1%

Lol, yea, thats a problem... I try to use 24fps if i'm taking sequential shots.

With frame skip I guess it gets messier. I guess 2 would be 12fps? Estimating usually works but if you looked at the lvrec test video, sometimes it speeds up.

Yoshiyuki Blade

There was some breezy weather a couple days ago so I took some shots of tree leaves swaying around as well as other things with high frequency detail (which would fall apart quickly if the bitrate isn't high enough). I'm still constantly amazed by how much better the quality is! This is the way it was meant to be recorded! The fact that my computer can't even decode it in real-time at lossless 4:2:0 shows that the complexity is quite high.

The lossless 4:4:4 file was nearly 2 GB so I won't upload it (my free dropbox account is limited to 2GB of bandwidth daily), so I arbitrarily compressed it to BD specs. I also had an IT8 target for my flatbed scanner in there. I didn't use it to help with the video or anything like that.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63799907/test%20BD.mkv

Andy600

Very impressive Yoshiyuki. I'm getting similar (but shorter length) results on the 600d. I'm amazed at the color rendition and lack of artifacts
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

sicetime

jonni

Actual link: http://data.cod.ru/170691 (press "скачать файл")

EOSHD

Quote from: squig on May 02, 2013, 09:12:14 AM

I've had good results with 1000x KomputerBay, even cheaper than Transcend. Was flawless in 1D C at 4K MJPEG, and that was 100MB/s to the card. Not a single dropped frame or buffer full alert. The memory in these cards probably all comes from the same manufacturer anyway!

kgv5

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on May 03, 2013, 07:14:17 AM
There was some breezy weather a couple days ago so I took some shots of tree leaves swaying around as well as other things with high frequency detail (which would fall apart quickly if the bitrate isn't high enough). I'm still constantly amazed by how much better the quality is! This is the way it was meant to be recorded! The fact that my computer can't even decode it in real-time at lossless 4:2:0 shows that the complexity is quite high.

The lossless 4:4:4 file was nearly 2 GB so I won't upload it (my free dropbox account is limited to 2GB of bandwidth daily), so I arbitrarily compressed it to BD specs. I also had an IT8 target for my flatbed scanner in there. I didn't use it to help with the video or anything like that.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63799907/test%20BD.mkv

Yoshiyuki Blade, I assume that this   is from 5d2 (right?) so how many frames per burst did you captured ?? Was your movie made from 1080p or 720p clips. What card did you use with camera?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

sicetime

Quote from: jonni on May 03, 2013, 05:44:06 PM
Actual link: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72405239/test%20BD.mkv

OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

What amazing work, seriously breathtaking.

second that on asking what settings you used Yoshiyuki

DTSET123

QuoteI've had good results with 1000x KomputerBay, even cheaper than Transcend. Was flawless in 1D C at 4K MJPEG, and that was 100MB/s to the card. Not a single dropped frame or buffer full alert. The memory in these cards probably all comes from the same manufacturer anyway!

Good price! How much does it bench in ML? How many DNGs did you get with it?

dfsgfeiuhd

Wow! I am excited about the feature, the footage looks amazing! This is HUGE!

I downloaded the nightly build and will test the feature on my 600d in the weekend. I briefly tried it yesterday night but the camera recorded 422 files in burst mode. However, one user here mentioned the 600d so I was wondering how to set it up (which settings to choose) to get the raw recording going.

Cheers!

sicetime

So i want to test this out on my 5d mk iii, but the nightly builds don't include that in the list of cams, am I missing something, I'm sorry I'm sure this gets asked a lot, should I be using tragic lantern?

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: kgv5 on May 03, 2013, 07:01:04 PM

Yoshiyuki Blade, I assume that this   is from 5d2 (right?) so how many frames per burst did you captured ?? Was your movie made from 1080p or 720p clips. What card did you use with camera?

Each segment is about 51 frames, so a little over 2 seconds @ 24 fps. They were made from the raw DNGs so they were originally 1880x1250. I stretched it horizontallly to 1920 and cropped it to 1080. The card is a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB 90MB/s, though I doubt that matters much in raw burst mode. It seems that all the frames are captured in memory, then it takes its time writing to the card. Real-time RAW capture seems WAY off in that sense. It takes maybe 20x longer to write all the frames.

Also, my public sharing limit for dropbox was reached again, haha. I guess I can try hosting it somewhere else, like Mega if you guys think it's a good idea. I'm not a fan of uploading to a video service (youtube, vimeo, etc.) since they recompress the files.

Quote from: sicetime on May 03, 2013, 07:50:18 PM
OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

What amazing work, seriously breathtaking.

second that on asking what settings you used Yoshiyuki

I simply opened the DNGs in photoshop, did the click-to-white-balance on the reference you saw at the end and boosted the saturation a tiny bit. There were also some default options (brightness, contrast, sharpening, color noise reduction) which I left on. I'm not a pro at color grading or post processing so I left a lot of stuff alone.